• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what oil to run?

bigblue69

Reaction score
what oil is everyone using? as of right now I have Valvoline vr1 10-30 in it.........mild built 383 not sure on the specs? any other ideas?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
WAS RUNNING SAME OIL BUT WAS 20-50........HEARD THEY CUT THE ZINC IN THIS OIL BUT I DONT SEE IT HERE

Racing Oil
What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?
The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.
What is motor oil with zinc?
The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function in the motor oil with zinc.
Why is it important to have the zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil changed?
With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil.
What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?
Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?
Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic oil that offers this additive.
Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" racing oil?
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.
Will an additive boost the zinc level?
You can use an additive to increase the zinc level. However, check with your motor oil manufacturer to ensure the additive is compatible with your racing oil.
Is VR1 a conventional oil, a synthetic or a blend?
Valvoline VR1 racing oil is a conventional, non-synthetic racing oil.

dobie

Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 15w-50. I also use a bottle of Comp Cams break in lube with every oil change. I finally changed the oil this spring. Prior to that, it had been since 2009 since my last oil change. The reason being my car had been off the road since then tucked away in a garage or body shop. So far, so good. No leaks at all either.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I plan on using Amsoil 20-W50, they have a special blend for older engines with the highest zinc content on the market. Bad part is, it cost about $10.00 a qrt.

earlyrides

Reaction score
I use Shell Rotella. It is diesel rated with high Zinc.
Since it comes in gallon containers, I also put in a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer too.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I use Shell Rotella. It is diesel rated with high Zinc.
Since it comes in gallon containers, I also put in a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer too.

Vince they recently remover most of the zinc from the diesel oils so be careful.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My son just starting selling industrial lubricants and tells me he can get Brad Penn for me wholesale.... So it looks like I'll be using Brad Penn.

CompSyn

Reaction score
More on Diesel oils...

Vince they recently remover most of the zinc from the diesel oils so be careful.

While that my be mostly true, there are still a few good options on the market for diesel oils. For example, check out the May 2013 stats for Chevron Delo LE at this link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO%20SUMMARY.html

Example given:

1312ppm Phos.
1490ppm Zinc
117ppm Moly

This very oil was purchased at a Wal-Mart on 4-18-2013

Very healthy for any street/strip combo, NO need for additional additives, and readily available too.

However, not my first choice for an engine oil...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
While that my be mostly true, there are still a few good options on the market for diesel oils. For example, check out the May 2013 stats for Chevron Delo LE at this link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/HDEO%20SUMMARY.html

Example given:

1312ppm Phos.
1490ppm Zinc
117ppm Moly

Very healthy for any street/strip combo, NO need for additional additives, and readily available too.

That's a newer test than I last saw, good info !

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

Example given:

1312ppm Phos.
1490ppm Zinc
117ppm Moly

ok......so what is your first choice??

jays69bird

Reaction score
I have noticed some of the semi synthetic oils for higher mileage cars claiming a higher zinc,I have a beater Volvo 940 that I drive around in because it gets 25 mpg compared to the 10-12 mpg my F250 does and I run Castrol high mileage in that because it has 217,000 on it and it claims on the container it has higher zinc.I was wondering if it might be good for the bird,I need to get into the 21st century and run something other than the 30wt, Castrol I have been running.

CompSyn

Reaction score
Back