• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Wheels & Tires are you guys running?

JJRJR

Reaction score
I had a conversation with a buddy of mine this weekend about what wheels/tires to use. I like the Crager SS wheels and several other of the newer Cragers, but it's the size I'm concerned with. I want to have wider tires (60 Series?) in back and thinner tires up front (70 Series?), but my buddy told me that I should really use 20 inch wheels in back and 18 inch up front??

Can you guys let me know what you're running? I also want a wheel that will show off the disc brake conversion job as I'd like to paint the calipers the color of the car.

Best,

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
my buddy told me that I should really use 20 inch wheels in back and 18 inch up front??

And I'd say that it is time to find a new buddy... :devil: :basketcase: :devil:

:jester:

JJRJR

Reaction score
That may be, but what about a suggestion?

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Here we go again. :basketcase:
Please don't use twenty or eighteen inch wheels. Fifteens are just fine.
275/60R15 in the rear. Your tire width is the first number 275 millimeters. The 60 is the aspect ratio for the sidewall. In other words the sidewall is = to 60% of the width. You will need a 15"x8"x4.5" backspace for this tire in the rear.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks very much. It sounds like this has come up before. LOL. Well, the guy I was talking to said the bigger tires handle better since there is less rubber between the wheel and the axle.

If the 275 is a nice rear size, what about the fronts?

Best,

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
If the 275 is a nice rear size, what about the fronts?

I run 225/70/15's on 15" X 7" wheels w/ 4" backspacing up front.
Same set-up on the rear as Marty outlined above for you. Pic attached below. Ignore the rust spots; she's an old warhorse and her owner is too lazy to do any sanding and priming...eventually I will send her to paint jail and they can take care of that... :lol:

:jester:

JJRJR

Reaction score
That's exactly the tire size I want on mine. Thanks for the picture, very helpful. Now, I just have to wait for the restoration to be done so I have something to put tires ON. LOL.

Thanks again guys.

John

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey John, my combo is 275/60R-15 on the rear on 15"x8" Magnum 500 wheels and 235/70R-15 up front on 15"x7" Magnum 500 wheels. The 275's and 235's are the same diameter (28.5"). The 275 is about 11" of tread on the ground and the 235's are about 8" of tread on the ground.
[attachment=0:1tn6hnpd]Garlits 2004 116.jpg[/attachment:1tn6hnpd]

JJRJR

Reaction score
Sounds and looks great John, thanks. I just got a Summit Catalog and looking at the Rocket Racing Wheels. They have a brand called Fuel and one called Booster that I like (the look anyway). I assume the aluminum wheels are strong enough for the power these RR's put out?

Thanks for all the help guys.

John

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I know what your buddy is saying about handling, but unless you go with a high tech suspension the tires alone will just hurt the ride. These things in a stock configuration float down the road like a caddy and the weight transfer for quarter mile racing is great. If your into road racing your in for allot of work. :cents:

droptop

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
.....the guy I was talking to said the bigger tires handle better since there is less rubber between the wheel and the axle......

The ride is terrible, not the mention the smallest pot hole will bend a rim. Those big rims are made for looks not driving. If you plan to put any miles on the car at all, don't go with the larger rims.

moparchris

Reaction score
Wheels and tires and their sizes have been covered pretty extensively elsewhere here, but I see we now have a cliff notes version. :lol: I agree with everything everyone has said and to throw some gas on the fire I will add one. I ran a 15x10 with 5.5 backspace on the rear of my 68 with a 295/50r15. It rubbed in extreme turns (driveways) and I had to trim the quarter lip a little but it looked awesome. I wish I had a better shot of it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
droptop said:
JJRJR said:
.....the guy I was talking to said the bigger tires handle better since there is less rubber between the wheel and the axle......

The ride is terrible, not the mention the smallest pot hole will bend a rim. Those big rims are made for looks not driving. If you plan to put any miles on the car at all, don't go with the larger rims.
The ride on mine is excellent with the 15" rims and tires but my car was originally equipped with the HEMI suspension and Perf. Axle Package which can handle the bigger tires and wheels and makes for a taught but firm ride. The only problem with the bigger tires is the driver's front tire will rub on the inner fender when turned all the way to the left and the larger tires/wheels will cause more suspension stress than the stockers. I need to replace a tie-rod end boot and inspect the rest of the front suspension but other than that all is well. :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score
235/60 15's on all four corners for me. I forget the wheel size. Either 15x6 front and 15x7 rear, or 15x7 front and 15x8 rear.

:cheers:

440Kilmartin

Reaction score
215 6015 up front 295 55 15 street slick in the rear , stock steel wheels, stock wheelwells

sam z

Reaction score
Marty (sixgunrunner) and Ray are absolutely, positively correct on the wheel and tire size information. Be especially careful on the rear and follow their advice.

As an example, I run a 15x8.5, 3inch backspace on the rear. NO WAY can I fit a 275/60 on my car as the backspace will not allow it. I run a 255/60 on the back with this wheel.

Marty is running a 255/60 up front. I opted for a 245/60 with a 15x7, 4inch backspace wheel. I was afraid of turning issues. Very happy with the stance of my car using this set up.

A few more things:
Yes, this topic has come up many times before (I'm guilty here believe me) and
I think you should look for a set of slot mags personally, just look at Marty's pic a little closer and you
should be a believer!

railrider

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
I had a conversation with a buddy of mine this weekend about what wheels/tires to use. I like the Crager SS wheels and several other of the newer Cragers, but it's the size I'm concerned with. I want to have wider tires (60 Series?) in back and thinner tires up front (70 Series?), but my buddy told me that I should really use 20 inch wheels in back and 18 inch up front??

Can you guys let me know what you're running? I also want a wheel that will show off the disc brake conversion job as I'd like to paint the calipers the color of the car.

Best,

John

Personally I would not go any larger than an 18 x 10 on the rear because this will allow the used of a larger sidewall tire. Then a 17 x 7 or 17 x 8 on the front. Mopar Muscle did a 1970 Bee with a 19 x 10 on the rear and a 18 x 7.5 on the front with no mods to the car.

Their specs are
19 x 10" with 5 1/4" backspace
18 x 7.5 4 3/4" backspace

I bought the new Cragar SS that are all Aluminum and Polished(612 series) I used their specs and dropped mine down to a 18 rear and a 17 front. I will be running a 295/45/18" tire on the rear and a 255/45/17 on the front.

On the other Hand a nice 15 x 8 Cragar SS with a 275/60/15 is huge on the rear, and a 15 x 7 on the front is a good classic look.

Mopar Muscles 70 Bee
70Bee1.jpg

Back