• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be the steps to put my 318 into the RR?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Well fellahs, I'm really thinking about just putting my bored over '70block 318 into the RR for now. I mentioned it once before a couple years ago. Right now my life pretty much sucks. I've lost three grandparents in six months. Work is a craphole. And I have no money for anything but the basics these days. I need to have some fun in my life and the Road Runner is one of those fun things. The 383 I have is completely broken down and waiting for a 2-grand rebuild. This won't happen for a few years at this rate. My dad built the 318 with his own hands in 1980 as a high compression performance engine he stole out of a Dart. It's a great engine and really has no problems. It runs very strong even after my high school years of beating the hell out of it. Right now it's got an auto trans attached to it.

I know there are issues with regard to going back and forth from small to big blocks and vice versa. But since I just don't have the money for the 383 rebulid, I'm wanting to just do this. I'm tired of walking past the RR every day for the past couple of years now and getting depressed that I can't drive it. It won't be permanent, but it will let me take out the car and enjoy it until the day comes I can finish the 383 and drop it back in.

So here's my question for y'all. What are the steps I would need to take to get this done?

Just guessing on my own, I'm probably going to need different mounts for the 318 right? Then there's the issue of the 318 having an automatic transmission right now. My RR has an A833 4spd. What sort of issues would be involved with using the 318 with my current 4spd trans? I've seen a Barracuda or two before that had this setup, but obviously mine was built with a big block to go in front of it. What sorts of clutch things do I need to sort out? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred bucks if I need to. The budget can squeeze that.

I know some of y'all might not approve of putting a small block in a bona fide Road Runner, but I'm really needing some fun right now and this is a way for me to do it. Let me know what I'd need to get this done. :cheers:

joewhite440

Reaction score
I know for starters you will need , Engine mounts, Bell Housing, Fly Wheel, Clutch, Pressure plate, I think you need the smaller Bearing retainer for your 4-speed. Different Z-bar, Exhaust, you would need a waterpump that had the same side for lower hose. I am sure there is more. Could be expensive because of the clutch and Bell Change. I am sure I forgot something!!!

Joe

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
You'll need the upper halves of the motor mounts for the 318 to mount the engine. Next look at the radiator. See what side the lower hose is on and if the water pump on the 318 is the same side. If its not, we'll have to figure that out.

Next the bellhousing will have to be changed. Flywheel/clutch/linkage from the 383 should work. (Stick guys, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a little hazy tonight). You'll have to have some front pipes made from exhaust manifolds (or headers) to the Roadrunner exhaust.

You'll have to take a couple turns on the torsion bars adjusters to lower the front (less weight) and maybe do a little wiring because the distributor will be in the back now.

I think that will cover it.

Big John

Reaction score
To use the automatic, you'll need trans mount, cooler (assuming your rad doesn't have one) shift linkage (I'd go with an aftermarket cable shifter) and correct length driveshaft.

mcmopar

Reaction score
You may need to check the yoke size in the trans. 318 equipped cars usually used a smaller u-joint than the 383 and bigger engine equipped cars did. The u-joint yoke on the rear end will be the large sized one.

Big John

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You may need to check the yoke size in the trans. 318 equipped cars usually used a smaller u-joint than the 383 and bigger engine equipped cars did. The u-joint yoke on the rear end will be the large sized one.

Different splines on 904 and 727 trans. If its a 727, the yoke from the 383 will work. If not and it has the car has the larger U-Joint, I believe they make a conversion u-joint for small to big.

joewhite440

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Joe, I believe he's keeping his automatic for now.

I think he asks "what would be the issues with using his 4-speed.

Also His 11 inch clutch will not fit in the small block Bellhousing they are 10.5?

Another issue if he uses his current Auto is it a 904 or a 727. Different Driveshafts length and yokes!!!

I think it is more than a couple hundred$$$

mcmopar

Reaction score
Doh! Right you are, Joe! How the heck did I miss that? :huh: I guess I need to get my glasses fixed! :loco:
Now that I have read (and understood) his entire post I'm with you on the costs. The BB bellhousing won't bolt up to the SB pattern IIRC. And yes, he'd need a smaller flywheel and clutch assembly along with possibly a new crossmember for the trans mount(?) or just a new mount.
If the auto trans was kept a new crossmember, mount and yoke (or adapter) may still be needed but at least a bellhousing, throwout bearing fork, and clutch assembly won't be needed; and as Big pointed out, a cable shifter could be easily adapted to fit.

joewhite440

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Doh! Right you are, Joe! How the heck did I miss that? :huh: I guess I need to get my glasses fixed! :loco:
Now that I have read (and understood) his entire post I'm with you on the costs. The BB bellhousing won't bolt up to the SB pattern IIRC. And yes, he'd need a smaller flywheel and clutch assembly along with possibly a new crossmember for the trans mount(?) or just a new mount.

Thats OK!!
I went back and read it myself because I thought I may have seen it wrong.
I wish I had some of the parts to lend him. It will be an expensive change.

joewhite440

Reaction score
Big John said:
mcmopar said:

Different splines on 904 and 727 trans. If its a 727, the yoke from the 383 will work. If not and it has the car has the larger U-Joint, I believe they make a conversion u-joint for small to big.

Do they make a 904 with a long tailshaft. I know all the 904's I have changed to 727 over the years have a longer tailshaft and you have to get a shorter driveshaft besides the yokes in all 904's have the smaller joints. I could be wrong I just cannot remember seeing a long tailshaft on one even in the trucks?

Joe

dobie

Reaction score
Me, I'd stay with the 4 speed as it's already in the car. I'd figure out what you need for the 318 swap to fit with the A833. I agree though at the least it'll be is a new bellhousing and clutch stuff. I would call some one like Brewer's Performance and chat with them. The helped me immensely when I switched from an auto to 4 speed. Everything I needed was bought from them except for the tranny mount. It was close to $1000 though total, and that's only because I got the pedal assembly for free.

It's definitely possible, but it's gonna be a lot more than a few hundred bucks. Depending on what it'll run ya, it may be a lot cheaper in the long run to hold off for your 383.

Keep us posted!

:cheers:

droptop

Reaction score
IIRC, did you say the 318 was in a truck? If so, you will need a different oil pan. If you decide to go this route, just let us know what you need, and we will try to help you find it. Even if it's not a bb, at least it will be on the streets.

joewhite440

Reaction score
joewhite440 said:
Big John said:
mcmopar said:

I edited this because he did not say he had a 904 and I made a mistake in my earlier post.
But if that is what he has this is important.

Do they make a 904 with a long tailshaft. I know all the 904's I have changed over the years have a shorter tailshaft.

When you change to a 727 the tailshaft is longer and you must run a shorter Driveshaft.

The yokes in all 904's have the smaller joints just like you said.

They also make a 727 yoke with the small joint.

I could be wrong I just cannot remember seeing a long tailshaft on a 904 even in the trucks?

:huh: I am even confusing myself :huh:

Joe

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If it gets your car on the road, then do it. Nothing kills interest in a project faster than the feeling of never getting anywhere. at least you'd be able to drive it. I'd check the boneyards,moparts, etc for used stuff. I'd definatlt stay with the four speed..

moparmoose3

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
If it gets your car on the road, then do it. Nothing kills interest in a project faster than the feeling of never getting anywhere. at least you'd be able to drive it. I'd check the boneyards,moparts, etc for used stuff. I'd definatlt stay with the four speed..
i was going to sugjest the same thing. go to the bone yard and see what they have. get it together for now and replace what's really needed later.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Any possibility of selling the 318 and use the cash to get what you need to keep the 383 up and running, otherwise you'll have spent a bunch of money that you will intend and want, to replace later. Just a thought.

moparstuart

Reaction score
there are alot of running 383's out there cheap or even a 400
and they will drop right in . I would look at that option alot less hassel , then rebuild your 383 the way you want at your leasure and cruise the used motor .

joewhite440

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
there are alot of running 383's out there cheap or even a 400
and they will drop right in . I would look at that option alot less hassel , then rebuild your 383 the way you want at your leasure and cruise the used motor .

Best plan!!! I agree a used 383.

Just remember the 400 is not drilled for your pilot shaft from your 4-speed and you need a special flywheel for them. They are external balanced.

moparchris

Reaction score
There is a bunch of great ideas and info just given to you. I say do whatever gets you some enjoyment. I think a used 383 is the best possibility and most cost effective. I do have a 318 bellhousing I will donate to the cause if you decide to go that way even though it would be cheaper to put the auto in. I know that I just gave away a running 383. Bummer your not closer. There are 5 440s in the local junk yards here. I would look around in all the local yards for motorhomes, vans and trucks. Good luck.

Back