• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be the steps to put my 318 into the RR?

dobie

Reaction score
I'll agree with the running 383. I bought one for $700, but you may be able to find one cheaper. I would say that it may cost somewhere in that area to use a 318, so it'd make sense to spend it on a running 383 which you can always use later as a spare motor.

That's the route I'll go someday. I put some money into mine last year, but some day I hope to go bigger with high compression pistons, etc..., or just build the 440 I have in my garage. I'll keep the current 383 as a spare.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far, fellahs. I've got a few problems facing me with the 383. First, I have been calling around and asking around for over a year and the handful of machine shops around Memphis are not geared towards this kind of thing. None of them that I have found have any real experience with classic cars or Mopar BB's for that matter. I wouldn't trust any of them with my 383. Second, I've got Craigslist for Memphis, Little Rock, Jackson, Nashville, etc all on bookmarked links to check weekly. I have only run across a couple of engines for sale and either the people think they have a gold mine on their hands ("It's a rare 383 Hemi six pack!!!"), or it's been pulled out of a ditch and is either too far gone or would need a total rebuild to get it road worthy (which doesn't put me any further ahead of where I'm at now).

With the 318, I was hoping to have a fairly straight forward solution for the meantime. It's a shame that this appears to be a larger endeavor than I had bargained for.

I definitely was wanting to just use the 4spd that's already under the RR. I had figured a different bellhousing, among other things, was in order. I just didn't realize it would require so much money to convert the car to accept the 318. :ack:

Ain't it crazy how this engine rebulid is going to cost me what the car was worth brand new on the Chrysler lot in 1968? :loco:

dobie

Reaction score
Have you called around to junkyards? Memphis is a large area, and I'd think someone would have a running 383.

I had a heck of a time finding a running 360 around here. Everyone I talked to had plenty of 318's and 383's but no 360's.

Granted, I found my truck on craigslist, but aside from that I've never had much luck there. Keep trying the junkyards!

Let us know!!

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Our junkyards blow. Been around to several of them to poke around. What's left of the 60s and early 70s Mopars have been picked clean. You really don't even see many cars at the junkyards around Memphis these days dating from before 1980.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, that stinks. I guess keep trying. I don't know how far you've searched, but maybe expand things a tad.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Confederate1969 said:
Our junkyards blow. Been around to several of them to poke around. What's left of the 60s and early 70s Mopars have been picked clean. You really don't even see many cars at the junkyards around Memphis these days dating from before 1980.
put a want add on all the boards moparts b-body forum , dc.com here you will find a 383 , lots of guys are almost giving them away

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Confederate1969 said:
put a want add on all the boards moparts b-body forum , dc.com here you will find a 383 , lots of guys are almost giving them away

Damn Stuie, you own a frickin' wrecking yard for cryin' out loud....give the boy a B-engine... :D

:jester:
ACME - The Problem Solver...

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
Confederate1969 said:

Damn Stuie, you own a frickin' wrecking yard for cryin' out loud....give the boy a B-engine... :D

:jester:
ACME - The Problem Solver...
all i have a 440 mobile home motors and none run other wise i would

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe buy a cheap run down C-body for the engine and trans, the pilot bearing also can be drilled into an auto crank.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I just saw this post now, nice, lots of great suggestions!
I think I would try to pick up a beat (but running) C-body with a 400 Auto and pull the engine and tranny (and any accessories you need). Some of the auto column from the C body will work / shift linkage.

With your budget, it would be tough, but not impossible. Shoot for a $400-$500 C body. :cents:

glhcarl

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
I just saw this post now, nice, lots of great suggestions!
I think I would try to pick up a beat (but running) C-body with a 400 Auto and pull the engine and tranny (and any accessories you need). Some of the auto column from the C body will work / shift linkage.

With your budget, it would be tough, but not impossible. Shoot for a $400-$500 C body. :cents:

Since 318's (and 273's) were standard on Belvederes and Satellites (in fact all B-Bodies) from 1965 through 1974 all the parts needed to install a 318 in a RR (Belvedere based) should be available from junk yards, resellers and auto parts stores. While cost may be a problem, fit and availability should not pose a proiblem.

Back