• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats an exceptable rear main seal leak or is there one?

nicanor

Reaction score
I finished replacing my rear main seal again. After the first two drives there was no leak. Now there seems like there is a minor leak. I'm taking it to the races at Barona today but not to race. After about a 1/2 drive, I put a piece of cardboard under the car and throughout the night, there was only two drops.

We had fun talking about if it ain't leaking its because there's no oil. Also a car that old is likely to leak a little. With the mechanic I'm working with, he wants no leaks, but if I only get two drops after a half hour drive and have the car sit overnight, does it make sense to try again?

Thanks,
Barry

Jim S.

Reaction score
That is not bad. Also that may be left over oil in the bellhousing from the previous leak. I did mine 3 times before I finally got it to stop. 3rd time I put in a old rope seal and that cured it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I could live with a couple drops(and do). keep an eye on it, anf if it doesn't get amy worse, let it go.

Back