• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel fitment?

matts69

Reaction score
I have a 69 roadrunner with stock suspension and wanted to know if anyone has run 20x10 rims in the rear and 18x7 up front. If so I have no idea how to measure backspacing or what else would be involved in ordering the rims. I tried a few local tire/rim shops but they were no help any info would be greatly appreciated and pics if available thank you

69383RR

Reaction score
I have about 5/8 " space between the tire and fender with 18x 10 " wheels with a 5 " off set if I remember correctly . I believe that's a positive , not negative off set . Also had to take the new disk break set up into consideration . Tons of space up front with 17" x 8" wheels , should have gone with 18"s in the front to fill in some of that space . I think the front is 4 1/2 " of set .

matts69

Reaction score
I have about 5/8 " space between the tire and fender with 18x 10 " wheels with a 5 " off set if I remember correctly . I believe that's a positive , not negative off set . Also had to take the new disk break set up into consideration . Tons of space up front with 17" x 8" wheels , should have gone with 18"s in the front to fill in some of that space . I think the front is 4 1/2 " of set .

Thanks do you have any pics of the car?

69383RR

Reaction score
Funny you should ask ! I'm happy to direct you over to the "projects forum" scroll down to 69 rr build from the beginning ,thread . Some of the last pictures are of the wheels I ended up with , I love them ! But like I said if I could do it again I would do 18x8 up front instead of the 17 x 8 . If you go on utube there are videos to show how to properly measure the off set , better then what I could explain it here .

Last edited:

matts69

Reaction score
Thanks car looks great. I've been doing some more research and I am thinking 18x10 rears and 18x8 fronts. I noticed with the 20" rears there's not much room for bigger side walls. I was only thinking about doing the 20s in the rear so I could fit some tall tires for better gearing considering I have 4:10s in the rear

69383RR

Reaction score
I think that would be a good choice in my opinion . Make sure you double check with the seller on the off sets as you can not return wheels after they have been mounted . Good luck and make sure you post some pictures for us .

matts69

Reaction score
Soon as I figure out how to post pics I will lol just finished restoring the car all that's left is a new set of wheels and disc brake conversion for the front and rear

matts69

Reaction score
Ok so just realized something else. I tried the rims off of my 06 charger Daytona and the fronts do not fit because it hits the drums where the wheel bearing sits. Is there any way around this?

69383RR

Reaction score
There are different size wheel spacers out there for situations like that but if you take that into consideration when you order your new wheels you can avoid any problems like that . I'm sure that the off set on your Daytona wheels do not meet the requirements of your rr. Talk to the Reps at any good wheel distributor that specialize in custom wheels for hot rods and they should be able to walk you through it .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Ok so just realized something else. I tried the rims off of my 06 charger Daytona and the fronts do not fit because it hits the drums where the wheel bearing sits. Is there any way around this?

There's a real easy answer for this question.

Use the right wheels.

Your '06 Charger has a slightly different bolt pattern that will appear to fit at first glance, but it will never really fit correctly. If you do get them bolted up, expect vibrations and wheels loosening. In other words, it's dangerous.

Adapters/spacers are dangerous too. For a lot of reasons..... Like a lot of things, people use them and with some luck, they get away with it. I've seen some horrific failures too.

If you want to put 20" wheels on your car, that's up to you. It is your car. I won't get into what I think it will look like or help you with fitment.

Just do it so they don't fall off and hurt someone please.

matts69

Reaction score
I'm not going with the 20s they would be to big and I wasn't planning on driving it with the 18s off the charger I just wanted to see what it would look like with an 18" wheel and see how much clearance I had

matts69

Reaction score
And as for the 18s off the charger they bolted up perfect in the back with no issues I wanted to try them up front to make sure I could turn the wheel without rubbing because the charger wheels are 18x8

matts69

Reaction score
Yes the car is restored. It spent a year and a half in the body shop replacing new floors, quarters, roof, trunk floors, etc.... The rest of the work I did with my father and older brother. Had the car since 98. We got it as a track car that ran 11.2 in the quarter, she still had the original matching numbers drivetrain in it which was an amazing find considering she was a race car.

matts69

Reaction score
Here's some pics of her. Some are from local car shows and meets. I also took one with the charger wheel on it. In one pic you can see the charger behind her on our way into a show

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
beautiful car, do it to make you happy, but you'll never sell me on Donk wheels looking good on a musclecar.

Back