• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel fitment?

matts69

Reaction score
Ya everyone has their own taste in what looks good. I'm gonna keep the original wheels for certain car shows that look for original wheels and parts, etc... But I wanted another set for car meets and cruises where it would stand out a little more. There's a few local shows that over look original cars for modded ones. I actually came in second place over my brothers orange 2012 challenger in those pics I posted because I lost points for my wheels and brakes? When I questioned them they said my wheels didn't pop and I didn't have disc brakes. Crappy judges there but the show overall is really good

69383RR

Reaction score
The 18's look pretty good back there . The ride height is a little on the low side for my liking and I don't care for that wheel style but that's just me giving you my opinion and everybody has one of those , you're never going to please everybody so just do what makes you happy . Thanks for posting some pics I think your rr looks awesome , Tom.

Last edited:

matts69

Reaction score
Ya I'm not a big fan of the wheel style myself but they came on the car stock so figured I would give it a shot and check clearances. And thanks it took a lot of work to get her where she is today. My wife actually named her "the mistress" lol

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I debated on answering about the Charger wheels... but I decided to not let it go if at least for others that wonder if they can use a late model wheel.

Don't forget, you didn't say anything about just bolting this up to try it.... Your post sounded like you wanted to run that wheel.

You have two different, but close bolt circles. 4.5" x 5 (114.3mm) or 115mm x 5. The early car has the 4.5 (114.3MM) BC. Not a lot of difference, .7mm. Some will even say that it will work. It's still not right though. The force on the wheel studs as the lug nuts tighten are now forced outward as well as in tension for one. The wheel may not center correctly as the wheel is tightened too. Will it bolt up? Sure.... Will the wheel fall off? Probably not... but like using a wheel adapter you've just done something half assed to an important part of your car.

Regarding the rear wheel... The center of the rear axle is the same size as the hub of the front wheel. It's purpose is to center the wheel independent of the lug nuts. If your wheel didn't fit over the front hub, the wheel didn't fit over the center of the rear either. Chances are you tightened the wheel against the center and not flush to the drum. That's an easy mistake to make and a recipe for disaster.

Like a lot of the guys here, I usually don't respond to the occasional "donk" wheel threads. Not to my taste and not to the taste of most of the others here. In this case, it was my opinion that you were doing something with that Charger wheel that could really cause a problem. I've personally seen wheels come off cars and trucks for lots of reasons and the results are quite often really bad.... and not just for the people in the car. Thrown wheels kill people. I've seen it myself.

You have a very nice car. Your Dad did well to include you in its restoration. Give him my thanks for that.

One more thing..... Go to the shows to have fun. Don't worry about judges and trophies. You'll have more a lot more fun that way.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I don't know if Chryslers are the same, but I remeber back in the '80s when the GM guys were putting the new Camaro wheels on S 10s and other GM cars, and they were comming off because the '80s lug nuts were needed to seat the wheels properly, and the guys were using the original lugs for their cars. Just double check and be safe! and as far as standing out more in the crowd, a '68-'70 road runner is pretty unique at any local show I've been to.

matts69

Reaction score
I had no issues with the rear wheel it actually fit perfect over the center because the rims have a big recessed part in the center but it just wasn't deep enough to fit on the front. And you are right I didn't state I was just test fitting the charger wheels my mistake. The car actually belongs to me and I had asked my brother and father for help restoring it because my father is retired and had a lot of time on his hands I used his knowledge of muscle cars to do it. Usually my brother and I build cars together but for this car it was special we wanted something we could include him because it would be a great car to pass on to my son knowing it was built by his grandfather, uncle and father. It was nice to have my father work on it with us because my brother and I have built drag cars in the past and he wanted no part of it so as we get older we want some more streetable cars. My brother sold his 72 roadrunner clone drag car that we built to buy the new challenger in the above pics

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Ya everyone has their own taste in what looks good. I'm gonna keep the original wheels for certain car shows that look for original wheels and parts, etc... But I wanted another set for car meets and cruises where it would stand out a little more. There's a few local shows that over look original cars for modded ones. I actually came in second place over my brothers orange 2012 challenger in those pics I posted because I lost points for my wheels and brakes? When I questioned them they said my wheels didn't pop and I didn't have disc brakes. Crappy judges there but the show overall is really good

Well this is your problem, any show that has judges that don't know how unique Road Runners are, then they should not be judging. If anything the newer car owners and judges should take a step back and realize that your car in original condition set the standard of a show. Don't change things because some judge has no idea of what he or she is looking at.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I had no issues with the rear wheel it actually fit perfect over the center because the rims have a big recessed part in the center but it just wasn't deep enough to fit on the front. And you are right I didn't state I was just test fitting the charger wheels my mistake. The car actually belongs to me and I had asked my brother and father for help restoring it because my father is retired and had a lot of time on his hands I used his knowledge of muscle cars to do it. Usually my brother and I build cars together but for this car it was special we wanted something we could include him because it would be a great car to pass on to my son knowing it was built by his grandfather, uncle and father. It was nice to have my father work on it with us because my brother and I have built drag cars in the past and he wanted no part of it so as we get older we want some more streetable cars. My brother sold his 72 roadrunner clone drag car that we built to buy the new challenger in the above pics

:cheers:

matts69

Reaction score
I like the look of a bigger wheel in there so I'm not changing just for them I would never change the car for anyone lol. With a bigger rim/tire combo I will be a little better on the highway considering I have 4:10s and a 4 speed car. Right now with the stock wheels I'm at about 3500rpm at 50mph

MsBeep

Reaction score
Well this is your problem, any show that has judges that don't know how unique Road Runners are, then they should not be judging. If anything the newer car owners and judges should take a step back and realize that your car in original condition set the standard of a show. Don't change things because some judge has no idea of what he or she is looking at.

Couldn't agree more. Welcome to the forum and be true to your bird!

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
hey Bill, love the new ranking.....

Yep Dave that's what happens when you grow up in the 50/60's but,I got to grow up with all them awesome Mopars.

Also I kinda laughed when I first seen it and Kudos to Big John!

matts69

Reaction score
Finally have the wheels on and done I went with 18x7 up front and 20x10 in the rear and for tires I went with 225 up front and 275 for the rears

image.jpg

image.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Those wheels don't look too bad! I like the contrast of the black wheels against the red car.

matts69

Reaction score
Thanks guys I think it came out great love the new look of the car.

Back