• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whew. Electrical issues.

MoparDan

Reaction score
OK, you seem to have a significant voltage drop. Do you still have the voltage resistor in line?
Yup, you sure do. I went back and looked at your picture. You need 12 volts at startup. I don't know if you need the resistor with the electronic ignition. The resistor's purpose is to lower the voltage to the points after starting to keep them from burning up. The person who did the conversion may not have done it correctly. I think we need to look at a wiring diagram from a Roadrunner built after they went to the electronic ignition. I think that was in 1972.

Last edited:

MoparDan

Reaction score
I found some answers on mymopar.com. I have attached a pdf that has the instructions for converting to an electronic ignition. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• elecignconv.pdf
    282.9 KB · Views: 2

MoparDan

Reaction score
If you would like to test the ballast resistor, Use a multi-meter, check the resistance between the terminals. Do this with all of the wires to the ballast resistor disconnected. Any significant deviation from the numbers would indicate that the ballast resistor is defective. For the two wire resistor, you're looking for 1.2 ohms

Russ Hood

Reaction score
If you would like to test the ballast resistor, Use a multi-meter, check the resistance between the terminals. Do this with all of the wires to the ballast resistor disconnected. Any significant deviation from the numbers would indicate that the ballast resistor is defective. For the two wire resistor, you're looking for 1.2 ohms
I will check this tomorrow evening. I appreciate all your help.

Is it difficult to change the bulkhead?

MoparDan

Reaction score
I will check this tomorrow evening. I appreciate all your help.

Is it difficult to change the bulkhead?
Do you mean the bulkhead connector? No it is not that difficult to disconnect. there is a bolt on the outside of the fire wall. Once you remove it you can pull it apart.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Do you mean the bulkhead connector? No it is not that difficult to disconnect. there is a bolt on the outside of the fire wall. Once you remove it you can pull it apart.
Thanks

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Well I found the problem. The bulkhead connector I removed the middle connector and this is what I found. Ordered parts this evening.

20220805_191850.jpg

20220805_190005.jpg

20220805_185943.jpg

20220805_185900.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
Well Russ I believe you found your problem. I would spray them down with electrical contact cleaner and work them with an Emory Board and see if it will start. I have my old harness, I think my connectors are in better shape. I'll look if you like. Was I wrong about the bolt? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Last edited:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Well Russ I believe you found your problem. I would spray them down with electrical contact cleaner and work them with an Emory Board and see if it will start. I have my old harness, I think my connectors are in better shape. I'll look if you like. Was I wrong about the bolt? My memory isn't what it used to be.
No I didn't have a bolt. I really appreciate the time and help you have give me. I ordered the parts this evening from Dan's. I think I'm going to go ahead and install the new year one harness while I'm at it. Thanks again.

Carl Ray

Reaction score
Just do it right and get a complete dash harrness. You can replace those female connectors but the wires are probably toast a few inches back also. Just easier to start over. Then look for the cause. Still running an Ammeter? I am on mine and I like it but you need to take a few extra precautions.

Back