• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whew. Electrical issues.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Come off the starter circuit. There is a wire that is only hot when the key is in the "start" position. This will supply power when you start the engine and shut off when you release the key.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Come off the starter circuit. There is a wire that is only hot when the key is in the "start" position. This will supply power when you start the engine and shut off when you release the key.
Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Man, Russ you have had your share of problem's. Looks like you're getting through the most of it. Hope soon you will just be able to turn the key and drive the wheels off it. Good luck. :thumbsup2:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Man, Russ you have had your share of problem's. Looks like you're getting through the most of it. Hope soon you will just be able to turn the key and drive the wheels off it. Good luck. :thumbsup2:
Thanks nt friend. I can build race car engines, electronics etc but this has kicked my butt. Lol

quikbird

Reaction score
Problem is box needs power at both times. Starting and running. If you don’t have that it either won’t start or won’t keep running.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Problem is box needs power at both times. Starting and running. If you don’t have that it either won’t start or won’t keep running.
Are you talking about the electronic ign box?

1968 man

Reaction score
MKe sure the electronic box is grounded very good or it will not start. Ask me how I know. We move things around to paint and did not have the box grounded good and it would not fire. Got it grounded good and it fired right up. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
MKe sure the electronic box is grounded very good or it will not start. Ask me how I know. We move things around to paint and did not have the box grounded good and it would not fire. Got it grounded good and it fired right up. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Thanks

Russ Hood

Reaction score
My bad, I was thinking you were using something like an msd 6al box
Oh ok. No I still have the electronic ignition box. I know the msd stuff well with drag racing over 30 years. I might have to switch over. I have a msd 6.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Can I do a lead wire from positive on the battery to the positive on the coil to see if the car will start to see if the electronic ignition box is bad on the car?

MoparDan

Reaction score
Can I do a lead wire from positive on the battery to the positive on the coil to see if the car will start to see if the electronic ignition box is bad on the car?
If I am remembering it correctly, you do not have points, I do not think that will work. You have no way to collapse the field and fire the plugs.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
If I am remembering it correctly, you do not have points, I do not think that will work. You have no way to collapse the field and fire the plugs.
That was wax the petronix I forgot. Your correct

Russ Hood

Reaction score

I've checked the grounds. I've changed the ballast resistor. This thing will run for a while and then it won't start.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I've checked the grounds. I've changed the ballast resistor. This thing will run for a while and then it won't start.
It hasn't ran since last August. Since the engine is turning over it wouldn't be the key ignition right?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Are you sure you're getting fuel? Do you have a starter button that you can use outside the car? Easy enough to make one from a push button starter switch you get at the auto parts store. Check to see if you get fire from your coil to a ground on the motor. Then check all the plug wires. Then if you don't have spark start back tracking and see where you lost power.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Are you sure you're getting fuel? Do you have a starter button that you can use outside the car? Easy enough to make one from a push button starter switch you get at the auto parts store. Check to see if you get fire from your coil to a ground on the motor. Then check all the plug wires. Then if you don't have spark start back tracking and see where you lost power.
Thanks I will do that. It's getting fuel. I replaced the coil.

Back