• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why it's soo cool to drive a 'Runner

mannye

Reaction score
Aside from all the other reasons, today, an entire family, husband, wife, and the two kids in the back were craning to get a look at the RR as I drove down the street... they spotted us ahead of them and raced up to get next to us and they were all thumbs up and "it's so cool!" and "what year is it?" all the usual stuff...except they were in a ticked out Bentley Continental GT!

sam z

Reaction score
I'm with you man. I just got mine back from my trusty tech. I couldn't be more
happy as an owner. An awesome piece of Americana. Looking forward to pulling mine
out of the garage tomorrow morning when most people aren't awake yet. Gonna tighten,
polish, and mess with tomorrow as long as the family permits.

rr68

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with all that has been said ! I've had my 68 RR 23 yrs now and still people are asking what kind of car it is and what year. When I tell them the reply that it appears to be a new car and is in great shape the 69 ProStreet is coming along just great. will have the 451 with the Zeeker Heads and all should run very nice. heads were built and ported by Todd Marsh can't wait to hear it Chirp as it gets the gears! I think its really great to see people have more intrest in these cars. Have a great day Guys look forward to getting up with everyone again!

RdChicken

Reaction score
I just had a funny experience the other day to while driving my bird. I was just crusin' along with a Chevy HHR in front of me. All of a sudden the HHR make a right turn off the road into someones front yard. I slow down because I'm not really sure what is going on and as I go by I've a Husband and Wife hanging the window giving me the tumbs up and nice car speech. I give them the typical wave and thanks as I drive by. I look in my rear view mirror to see them driving throught yard the rest of the way up to the house. It always seem like you get a story to tell everytime you drive your bird.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I always enjoy it when some kid yells "Hey, nice Duster!"...and I'm driving the Road Runner... :lol:

I'm not so pleased however when some kid yells "Hey, nice Nova!"...and I'm driving one of the Dusters... :soap:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we were out the other day, and stoped for gas. an older gentleman came up, just about foaming at the mouth. "hey that's a '69! 383 4 speed?" He told me how sweet the car looked(must have failing eyesight) :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
we were out the other day, and stoped for gas. an older gentleman came up, just about foaming at the mouth. "hey that's a '69! 383 4 speed?" He told me how sweet the car looked(must have failing eyesight) :lol:

Failing eyesight... :D Well, these days the average folk don't see them every day...so even though you can find 100 things wrong with your car (no one knows our cars like we do - just to state the obvious)...the casual observer will not. You see a yellow RR that needs quarters and to be painted its proper shade of Coronet Station Wagon Green (keep the yellow... :lol: ) while he just sees a yellow RR... I say just enjoy the compliments. :thumbsup:

Mel69rrvert

Reaction score
I was at a car show in Yuma, AZ in march with my 69 rr vert and some lady walks by with her kids, points at my car and says, "Oh look......they named that car road runner" :crazy:

joewhite440

Reaction score
Yes the older I get the more I just appreciate seeing them on the road. I do not inspect them to pick them apart. Just nice old American Muscle Cars. I would rather see them on the highway in primer than sitting in a garage covered with dust.
You got a nice Yellow Road Runner Dave. It will be nice finished and GREEN also. Its nice that there are still people around who appreciate our cars!

Joe

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
gee....been a while since you tossed out the "Coronet Station Wagon" remark...... :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: (pp).......In all honesty, if the paint that's on the car was done better, I'd let it be(and if the 1/4s were nicer).
And Joe I just like seeing them out in any shape too. I had more fun with my primered car than I had with any other car in a long time. Maybe because I took what was basically a bare shell and largely be myself put it back on the road. And if I see a primered project somewhere, I appreciate it beause I can see the work that has gone into it.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
mannye said:
This weekend I got "What year Malibu is that?" :basketcase:
I think the perfect response is, " I couldn't tell ya, it's not a, (insert the name they used!") then let them figure it out!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"wow! a Duster,Malibu,etc, where's that at? I haven't seen one of them in years!" One I always hate(even though I like the TV show, but refuse to watch the movie) is "where's Bo & Luke?"

mcmopar

Reaction score
Right! Of course then you have to correct the dummies and tell them "that was a DODGE Charger - this is a PLYMOUTH Road Runner." Geez....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
gee....been a while since you tossed out the "Coronet Station Wagon" remark...... :toetap: :toetap: :toetap: (pp).......

It's all good, Herr Pic Madam! :D

Sitting in the bar at the airport in Akron/Canton having a Dortmunder waiting for a flight; one of these days we're actually going to get together for some bench racing...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, I hope so. we'll have to find out Dept Dobie's schedule, then blast past him to meet up with him. :drive:

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
Imagine what it's gonna be like for me in Australia. On the rare ocasion I take the Challenger out for a drive I always get the " hey man cool Camaro" at least the body shapes are kinda similar. It'll be interesting to see what the locals make of the bird when it gets here.

I met a guy at Bobs Big Boy in LA who owns an original AC Cobra, I got to talking to him and in the end I said to him " you know what the coolest thing about this car is " and he's like " no what ". " The fact that you actually drive it and it's not stored in a museum" and it's true the coolest thing about all your cars is that you still drive em cause you love em. If you didn't drive em it just wouldn't be the same. My 2 cents.

amike95

Reaction score
How many of you have had the kids with the fart cans want to race? Has happened to me several times.

moparstuart

Reaction score
amike95 said:
How many of you have had the kids with the fart cans want to race? Has happened to me several times.
dummys do it all the time . If im in the superbird I just ignore them . If i'm in the 69 i blow there doors off . :jester: :jester: :jester:

Back