• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windows 7 clock

Steve

Reaction score
I had to buy a new computer and the clock never says the correct time.I set the right time in the control panel and the following day it's always way out.It's doing my head in,can anyone help.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve said:
I had to buy a new computer and the clock never says the correct time.I set the right time in the control panel and the following day it's always way out.It's doing my head in,can anyone help.
I take it you set your time zone. Put a little piece of tape over it :lol:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Steve said:

It can be a lot of things from bad memory, bad drivers, to a virus.
Check the simple ones first like the cmos battery.
I know its a new computer but, the battery might be old or weak.
When the computer boots up after it has been off for awhile, Windows sets itself to the hardware clock (cmos battery).
A easy way to check that is wait until your computer has been on for a few hours then,
go to a command prompt. I believe in Windows 7 it is located at Start - programs - accessories.
When your dos window comes up type the word "time" and hit enter. If they are not the same the
cmos battery is getting weak. It is a easy swap as long as you don't rub your feet on the carpet first, meaning ground yourself, no static and unplug the computer.
The default windows clock time synchronization is every week if you have that box checked under the internet time tab. (same place you change the time) A guy can change that to more often but, you have to jump through some hoops to do it and you are just putting a band-aid on the problem.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Steve said:
It's doing my head in,can anyone help.

I hacked into your system after that last green remark. avgas is too expensive to keep flying over the pond..... :acme:

Steve

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Steve said:

It can be a lot of things from bad memory, bad drivers, to a virus.
Check the simple ones first like the cmos battery.
I know its a new computer but, the battery might be old or weak.
When the computer boots up after it has been off for awhile, Windows sets itself to the hardware clock (cmos battery).
A easy way to check that is wait until your computer has been on for a few hours then,
go to a command prompt. I believe in Windows 7 it is located at Start - programs - accessories.
When your dos window comes up type the word "time" and hit enter. If they are not the same the
cmos battery is getting weak. It is a easy swap as long as you don't rub your feet on the carpet first, meaning ground yourself, no static and unplug the computer.
The default windows clock time synchronization is every week if you have that box checked under the internet time tab. (same place you change the time) A guy can change that to more often but, you have to jump through some hoops to do it and you are just putting a band-aid on the problem.
Thanks Jim,did as you suggested in command prompt and the times are the same.Both said 17.05,trouble is it was 15.43 :brickwall:
What a PITA I'm off to buy a watch :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Save your money on the watch. My wife came home with this clock that chimes every f$%kin quarter hour and gongs out the hour. Its yours :toetap:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Well if they both show the same wrong time (bios and the windows taskbar), I would go into bios before you boot up and change the time there. Then after booting, go to the taskbar clock, click on it and hit the internet time tab then the update button to sync it to the windows server. Only other thing I can think of right now.....

ps. I think you can change the bios time from the command prompt also but, I'm not sure how to do that in Windows 7. If its the same as XP then just typing "time" at the command prompt will give you the time and ask to "enter new time".

Back