• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windsor Update

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Got the bezel back and it looks better, but there was some fine scratches in the chrome on the opposite side. You can only see them under a strong light, so it's good enough... but still....

So... I just happened to look at how it was packed. They had put the bezel in two plastic shopping bags and then packed paper and bubble wrap around it. I looked in the bag that the bezel was in and it was dirty!! Some sort of "grit" in the bag that you could feel.

I emailed the chromer again and told him about it, telling him the name on the bag and after a back and forth and him , it now makes sense! The name on the bag was not any store either one of us had ever even heard of. Turns out his shipper has been reusing the bags that people ship there stuff in for chroming! Wow.... Dirty bags. Sounds too simple.

In the end, it came out OK, and the guy thanked me for helping him solve a problem. I'm not going to use him again though and I'll give the local shop another try.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Used material to pack new chrome, time for a new shop :yesnod:
Seems to me that this is just another example of ways people are trying to save themselves a few pennies instead of doing what's right for their customers!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have I mentioned lately DO NOT USE THE CHROME WIZARD IN NASHVILLE, TN??? :lol:

Big, I'm glad you got this sorted out...well, sorted out for the most part...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and as much as chrome costs,wouldn't you wrap new chrome in a soft cloth or something? a plastic bag, new or used wouldn't be my first choice.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Damn! I was just reading this thinking about incompetence and how prevalent it is......
This reminds me of the time I sent something to the nutcase Mike Voth of "Alltrim" out in oregon.

Big John

Reaction score
With the weather taking a turn for the better, I did some stuff on the Windsor. Mostly I cleaned up the garage so I can work on it... but I still got a couple things done.

I took some pics of the assembly line markings. I thought it might be interesting.

Top of the glove box
DSCF5777.jpg

Back of the glove box
DSCF5776.jpg

Bottom of the glove box.
DSCF5774.jpg

Firewall
DSCF5779.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
The big stumper for me right now is figuring out how to take the oil filter housing apart. I'd like to get the tube out, but I don't know if it's pressed it or screwed in.

DSCF5781.jpg
DSCF5780.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
those markings are neat. I remember my Father in Laws '41 chevy having those on the firewall.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
The big stumper for me right now is figuring out how to take the oil filter housing apart. I'd like to get the tube out, but I don't know if it's pressed it or screwed in.

DSCF5781.jpg
DSCF5780.jpg
I just got replaced as the board hand model :lol:

Big John

Reaction score
Started getting the engine together. Doing some bore measurements here.

Setting up the bore gage with a micrometer:

DSCF5824.jpg

Measuring the bore.

DSCF5826.jpg

I'm using a '50 251 cu in. engine block with a 265 cu in crankshaft from an industrial engine (came out of a combine). The added stroke will cause the rods to hit the block. While later blocks had some reliefs cast into the block, I had to cut my own.

Showing the interference:

DSCF5841.jpg

I put a pan gasket on the pan rail and marked it out. That would be as far as I needed to grind back. The crank is setting on the old bearings, one on each end.

DSCF5839-1.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
Relief cut using a die grinder, now there's plenty of clearance:

DSCF5842.jpg

Finished block, while I was there I cleaned up the casting lines and flash:

DSCF5846.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
So I take it that this crank will give you some more, power, torque, or both?

Well.. yea... and it's bigger! (insert Tim Allen grunt here)

Actually, the 53 and 54 Chrylser used a 265 engine, but finding a 265 Chrysler engine wasn't in the cards. Chrysler did make a ton of 265 industrial engines though and there still seems to be some floating around. I found the crank and rods in Washington (state).

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Nice job Big!
I would guess threaded on the filter tube. From a production stand point, I think it (but who knows from way back) would be easier to have someone thread it together than to press it. Not to mention limiting serviceability. Slide a punch through those side holes and see what happens. It's a 50 50 shot right?

Big John

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Nice job Big!
I would guess threaded on the filter tube. From a production stand point, I think it (but who knows from way back) would be easier to have someone thread it together than to press it. Not to mention limiting serviceability. Slide a punch through those side holes and see what happens. It's a 50 50 shot right?

It doesn't seem to come apart. This is kind of a rare piece and I don't want to screw it up, so I posted on an old Mopar forum and no one else has figured it out either. Everyone that responded said they have just cleaned it the best they could by soaking it in solvent. The good thing is the tube is after the filter, so it doesn't have the sludge that the rest of the engine did.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good, Big. Is that crank gear machined on the end of the snout?

Are the rods on the 265 shorter?

Back