• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Problems

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I got caught in the rain last night. I'd thought I finally had wipers, but no luck. The 3 speed motor had been gone over and repaired, or at least I think so. When I hooked it all up last winter, things worked. Now, the motor doesn't even try. I got nothing. Here's what I've done so far:

Unplugging the harness from the firewall, I have no power anywhere as my test light doesn't operate. Then, I crawled up and disconnected the harness from the switch. With the key in the first click, one of the connectors does light up.

I'm assuming that this means that there is power going to the switch, but nothing coming out??? Indicating that the switch itself is bad???

What do you guys think?

:huh:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Sounds like the switch.

Check the continuity of the switch itself in all postions using a test light or meter.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I have no clue on how to do that, or the proper equipment. I have access to another switch, so I'll try that either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
make friends with Rain X Steve! Big is right, sounds like the switch.

dobie

Reaction score
Rain X is how I got home from the Nats last year!!! :crazy:

Anyways, I threw a NOS 3 speed switch in last night. It works now, sort of........... In position 1, the wipers operate fast. Go up to position 2, and now they slow down. Go up to #3, and they're fast again, just like #1. Shut them off, and now they're slower, like #2. I have to rock the switch in between "off" and #1 to shut them off, or turn the power off. (which won't work while driving of course.....)

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Gotta love electrical problems with Mopar's!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now that Chris brings that up.......when Dave and I were at your place, I did notice that you had what looks to me a pre '68 motor. That might be the problem with the new switch.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I went back and looked at yur air cleaner pics. that's definetly an older wiper motor, '67 or older. That might be your problem.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just found out this afternoon that mine work...sort of...

While my car is largely undisturbed under the hood electrically, the wiring under the dash is quite a different story. The wipers have never worked since I bought it, or so I thought. Neither do the dash lights. There is an old, aftermarket oil pressure gauge hanging under the dash. Mounted on the bottom of it is a toggle switch. I always assumed that this was a jury-rigged light switch for the oil pressure gauge. Uh-uh. I had it out today riding around the neighborhood. As I was pulling it into the garage I flipped the switch for the first time ever when it was running - just for giggles. Imagine my surprise as I heard the wipers go skidding across the windshield as I was looking down expecting to see light... Only one speed, but hey, they work... :lol:

:jester:
ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hey Steve, I take it since you're out riding around in the rain you fixed your gas leak?

dobie

Reaction score
No. It only leaks on a full tank, so I just keep her at about 1/2 right now. I'll try to bring back a tank from Carlisle.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
No. It only leaks on a full tank, so I just keep her at about 1/2 right now. I'll try to bring back a tank from Carlisle.

Do I take this to mean that you two are going?

Ray

dobie

Reaction score
My uncle and I are going, or so we hope. Our rooms have been reserved since February. My work schedule/employment stuff is kinda up in the air, and my uncle is having surgery next week. Barring something catastrophic, we'll be there.

:cheers:

dobie

Reaction score
Ok, what would explain getting zapped twice now thru the switch? It's almost as if the motor is feeding current back thru the switch.......

toms69rr

Reaction score
Are you sending power back wards Thur the ground?
are you using original switch?
from what I am reading you are using older wiper motor Thur newer switch.
May not pinned out the same. Really surprised you have not blown a fuse,Puzzling

dobie

Reaction score
The switch I'm now using is a NOS 3 speed switch. I took the car to a electric motor guy. He doesn't seem to think that it's the motor. According to him the motors usually work or they don't. He thinks it's somewhere in the wiring.

So now my question is whether or not I have the wrong motor. Obviously it's not a 68+, so is it different enough that it won't work?

Back