• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Problems

mac

What ?
Reaction score
dobie said:
The switch I'm now using is a NOS 3 speed switch. I took the car to a electric motor guy. He doesn't seem to think that it's the motor. According to him the motors usually work or they don't. He thinks it's somewhere in the wiring.

So now my question is whether or not I have the wrong motor. Obviously it's not a 68+, so is it different enough that it won't work?

i would contact jules da wiperman on moparts and pick his brain. :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I did, a long time ago. I had even emailed him photos of my stuff. No mention was ever made of any differences, although I never specifically asked that question.

I started a thread over on moparts with pictures now. I looked at my x-wife's car tonight, and there is a definite difference in the wiring.

Any ideas??

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, take the parts you need off the Xs car......not like you haven't done that before.... :D
If it turns out you need a motor, I have a three speed off a '71 Newport.
And did this trouble just start?

dobie

Reaction score
Believe me, I'm trying to think of a way to do that. I just need a couple of hours, and her car.......

If I ever find out that my motor/wiring isn't compatible with my set up, I'd trade someone my motor for a correct one.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well if you can use that '71 Chrysler motor, let me know. I'm not going to need it anytime soon.
as far as the parts from the Xs car, get one of your buddies to take her out, and while their at the resturant.......OR....have one of your co workers detain her............... :lmao:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
mac said:
dobie said:
The switch I'm now using is a NOS 3 speed switch. I took the car to a electric motor guy. He doesn't seem to think that it's the motor. According to him the motors usually work or they don't. He thinks it's somewhere in the wiring.

So now my question is whether or not I have the wrong motor. Obviously it's not a 68+, so is it different enough that it won't work?

i would contact jules da wiperman on moparts and pick his brain. :thumbsup:
What Mac said! Jules is a good guy, he'll talk you through it!

dobie

Reaction score
Ok, here's a little update from Jules. Since speaking with him over emails, he believes that these motors without the green wire are actually 2 speed motors. Therefore, he recommended putting in a 2 speed switch. After doing this last night, I now have wipers again, sort of.... On the first click they are fast, and on the second position they are slower. Also on the 2nd click they operate 1 full time then park and quit. :brickwall: At least though they work on 1 speed and they shut off in the off position. Really, that's all I need.

So that brings in another question.... What the heck motor do I have??? It looks like a 3 speed, but operates as a 2 speed motor. Then, what Jules had to say about it being a 2 speed one with the lack of a green wire.....

Any ideas??

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
You know... there was a variable speed wiper that I have seen in a couple earlier cars. It had a rheostat switch on the dash that controlled it. I seem to remember my sister's 66 Dart having that.

I don't know what it looks like though.

EDIT: Never mind... I found a pic and it looks very different.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
It might be off a '67 Charger? I had one for a while, and IIRC, it had varible speed wipers. I think you would turn the knob clockwise, then the farther you turned, the faster the wipers would go.

dobie

Reaction score
That's interesting. Almost like Chrysler used this when clearance was needed in the engine bay before they switched over to an actual 3 speed.

:huh:

zupanj

Reaction score
How did you install a new switch. I just put a 3-speed motor in my car and the switch looks like it's an absolute bear to get at unless you are able to remove the bezel. That also looks difficult to remove.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jack. unplug the switches, remove the front screws and pry it out!

Back