• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Won't start.....

droptop

Reaction score
Does it crank if you jump out the two terminals on the starter relay? This will bypass the the key switch and the neutral safety switch.

V.R.D

Reaction score
soldiering a wire is the best with shrink tube to protect wire . that is how we had to do repairs in the dealer to keep resistance down.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I used the ol screw driver on the starter and it turned right over. Turned the ignition and it started. I've started it several times.

What gives?

nevada dan

Reaction score
the screwdriver shortcut might of helped connect one of your grounds

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You have a problem between the switch and relay, most likely connections or the switch

nevada dan

Reaction score
I ran my first roadrunner with a screwdriver and a 3 foot piece of wire for months till I got a key switch for it

V.R.D

Reaction score
look at the male ends they get week and corroded you may want to get new ones . if the heat from the wiring melting the bulk head the connectors are bad . take your time when doing this. solider all connector is best then use dielectric grease when you put together.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Their is so much heat in that area of these car's. The bulk head connector is just in a bad place. After working on this car and taking a run down the road and back lift the hood and touched those wires and the connector extremely hot. So after many year's can under stand why that area has problems. Wonder if some one makes a heat shield of some sort to go over the connector. While working on the car just rapped the fuel pump with exhaust rap. It was so hot you could not even touch it. Trying to stop vapor lock. Hope you solve your problem soon so you can enjoy driving that car again.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If it is the bulkhead the connectors they can be found under the name Packard 56 series connectors

Back