• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE WTB - Looking for a '69/'70 Roadrunner Project Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

kariverson

Reaction score
(There is no prefix "WANTED" in this subforum! And it requires me a prefix to post)
Here goes nothing!

I've been looking for more than a year now for a '69 or '70 Roadrunner project car. I would consider a 69 Superbee too. After saving up for years I want to fulfill my dream and build one with my father and my friends.
I am located in Europe. I will have a reputable export company (marlog-car-handling.com) handle everything, from pickup at your place to delivery at my door. I will pay them extra myself to handle the payment as well.
The car must be close to complete meaning no big parts missing since it will be very hard sourcing them from the US. 383 is fine, I'm not looking for HEMI or 440 cars. I would say it's a must having its fender tag, and if possible I would prefer to be numbers matching, even if the engine is just a block (I like to restore things as close to original as possible!) 4 speed transmissions are also preferred, I have never driver an auto car and I would like not to start :p but I won't turn down a good auto car! Rust is fine of course.
I can pay up to $16,000 depending on condition.

I understand it might sound a bit too specific, but for me being in one of the worst places in Europe, this is a once in a lifetime thing, pretty much the only thing I even had in my bucket list.
I think the cars are there I have found several ones during the last year, every time unfortunately people prefer not to deal with someone overseas.

Thanks everyone for your time!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Depends on how much work you want to do. Saw one on E bay for 3500. It was still listed on it as of last night. 383 motor locked up. Every thing their. Four speed car. Some rust but did not look too bad. Floor pan and trunk pan would need replaced. Drop down's also need replaced. Pictures do not tell enough. So that is what I have seen maybe you would be interested in it. Good luck on the search. :thumbsup2:

kariverson

Reaction score
Depends on how much work you want to do. Saw one on E bay for 3500. It was still listed on it as of last night. 383 motor locked up. Every thing their. Four speed car. Some rust but did not look too bad. Floor pan and trunk pan would need replaced. Drop down's also need replaced. Pictures do not tell enough. So that is what I have seen maybe you would be interested in it. Good luck on the search. :thumbsup2:
Thanks! I'm following the auction and seller was ok with selling overseas and wire transfer! Looks good! One thing that caught my eye was the painted black engine bay. It should be body colored on that year right? So I'm wondering if the engine is the original now.
Anyway what do you reckon is a fair price for that condition in today's market? It will go over that for sure maybe we'll over that but I'm willing to go over that myself.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Some of the other guys may have a number in mind. The motor ran in the one I bought and paid 7 thou. for it But after getting the motor too the machine shop found out it had to go over 60 thousand's to make it a good motor. Too much for me so found another motor for 4 hundred plush shipping. The motor was not matching to the car that was in it. Your looking at about 40 thou. If you have to go as far as I did on the restoration. Paint is not cheap either. Hope I was some help.

kariverson

Reaction score
Some of the other guys may have a number in mind. The motor ran in the one I bought and paid 7 thou. for it But after getting the motor too the machine shop found out it had to go over 60 thousand's to make it a good motor. Too much for me so found another motor for 4 hundred plush shipping. The motor was not matching to the car that was in it. Your looking at about 40 thou. If you have to go as far as I did on the restoration. Paint is not cheap either. Hope I was some help.
Yes, thank you very much! After a closer look at the pics. I still have some reservations about the car. The VIN is RM21H9A201507 but on the broadcast sheet pictured the sequential number of the vehicle identification number clearly starts with 3003XX. Which confuses me, shouldn't these be the same? It appears the order number on the build sheet may match the VIN (I think I can see a "2015XX" in there) :S
The sheet is in too bad shape to see more.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

kariverson

Reaction score
Vin and build sequence number usually aren’t the same
Yeah there are three 6 digit numbers. Sequence number, Order number and Sequential number (Under Vehicle Identification Number "VIN") The one that should be the same is "sequential", right?

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If its a 1969 sheet the sequence #located on line one is different than the VIN and the sequential # is the last 6 digits of the vin located on line one also

kariverson

Reaction score
If its a 1969 sheet the sequence #located on line one is different than the VIN and the sequential # is the last 6 digits of the vin located on line one also
Yeah that's what I thought as well.
They don't match though :/,
it's not the vin's last 6 digits..

Reissued VIN back in '79 maybe? That would mean body numbers won't match. I don't know, he doesn't respond to questions either.

Last edited:

kariverson

Reaction score
Hey! I wanted to let you know I got the car! I won the auction! Had trouble contacting the guy via ebay but I finally called him (rip phone bill) and we talked. No fender tag, build sheet indeed doesn't match but he did find it under the back seat. Maybe the wrong one was put in the car, who knows. Also didn't know if the engine was the original one but if I was a betting man I'd say it isn't considering the turquoise color and the black engine bay. He did assure me that all body numbers match the VIN though. I guess my export guy will check that as well.
Hopefully everything goes right and smooth and no problems arise. I will keep you updated!

MoparDan

Reaction score
Hey! I wanted to let you know I got the car! I won the auction! Had trouble contacting the guy via ebay but I finally called him (rip phone bill) and we talked. No fender tag, build sheet indeed doesn't match but he did find it under the back seat. Maybe the wrong one was put in the car, who knows. Also didn't know if the engine was the original one but if I was a betting man I'd say it isn't considering the turquoise color and the black engine bay. He did assure me that all body numbers match the VIN though. I guess my export guy will check that as well.
Hopefully everything goes right and smooth and no problems arise. I will keep you updated!
Congratulations! I'm sure you're excited. Road Runner's with 383's were turquoise. The 440's were orange.

kariverson

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm sure you're excited. Road Runner's with 383's were turquoise. The 440's were orange.
I am super excited!! Also quite a bit stressed about the whole transport thing but the seller seemed understanding and the export company does this all the time.
I've been reading that the 383 HP engines were also orange in '69, the 383 non HP were the turquoise ones. I don't know.

kariverson

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry to continue this discussion in this post, once the car arrives I'll create a new one.

So the car was picked up this passing week and will soon start crossing the Atlantic.
Turns out the body numbers did not match the VIN. But they did match the build sheet and the seller gave me a better deal so I decided to go through with the purchase. it appears it had been reVINed some time in the 70s since the registration with the new VIN is from 1979.
Now it should be a real RR since the body numbers, radiator support and trunk drip rail matched the RR build sheet, unless they all were transferred from another car. But the seller was honest enough to tell me about it so I don't know. Did they do that stuff in the 70s when these cars didn't really have any value? Why change the VIN though in the first place.

Now here classic cars don't get registered. You get certification and license plates from clubs and you can drive them every other Sunday. Should I when it arrives get a reproduction VIN to match the body numbers and the build sheet? (After checking that the rad support and the trunk lip have not been exchanged from another car)
I've read it's not illegal even in the US for lost VIN tags to be reproduced.
If that goes well should I try getting a reproduction fender tag according to the build sheet?

MoparDan

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the VIN tag is on the dash and if it was removed, it may have been replaced with a different dash. I believe there is a company that will recreate your fender tag from your build sheet. Let me see if I can locate them for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back