• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc in the motor oil

moparchris

Reaction score
zupanj said:
While we are on this topic I wondered if anyone knew whether the zinc is needed only for break-in of hydraulic cams or is it needed for everyday use as well. I was under the impression that it was only needed for the break-in run.

By the way my hemi wiped out a cam the first time on the dyno because of this. They used a CompCams additive that didn't work, obviously. I believe that Comp put out a new formula shortly after that. My engine wasn't the only one, there were of number of posts on 'Parts about that time. That was about 4 years ago I think.
Comp had issues with Cheap Chinese lifters that they wouldnt admit to. I too wiped out a cam 4 years ago. I won't buy comp cams ever again. Talk about not standing behind your product, they told me to pound sand. They said that I installed the cam wrong. Hmm. 20 years of engine building and I never had a flat cam. Yeah right.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
zupanj said:
While we are on this topic I wondered if anyone knew whether the zinc is needed only for break-in of hydraulic cams or is it needed for everyday use as well. I was under the impression that it was only needed for the break-in run.

By the way my hemi wiped out a cam the first time on the dyno because of this. They used a CompCams additive that didn't work, obviously. I believe that Comp put out a new formula shortly after that. My engine wasn't the only one, there were of number of posts on 'Parts about that time. That was about 4 years ago I think.
Comp had issues with Cheap Chinese lifters that they wouldnt admit to. I too wiped out a cam 4 years ago. I won't buy comp cams ever again. Talk about not standing behind your product, they told me to pound sand. They said that I installed the cam wrong. Hmm. 20 years of engine building and I never had a flat cam. Yeah right.
So what did you find that you did wrong :acme: :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
He'll probably tell you what he did wrong was buy a Comp cam!
So far, I've been very happy with mine (knock on wood).

zupanj

Reaction score
I was done with Comp Cams when I called for help with cam selection long before I got the engine. I talked to several guys over a period of time and they all had a different recommendation. None gave me the idea they knew what they were talking about. They just answered the phone and sold cams I think.
The hemi issue cost me a little because I went with a hydraulic roller and paid the difference. I used Crane just before they went out of business. I think they were more of a Mopar oriented group whereas I think Comp tries to be all things to all people. If anything they are Chevy oriented in my opinion.

moparchris

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
He'll probably tell you what he did wrong was buy a Comp cam!
So far, I've been very happy with mine (knock on wood).

Yep.....and calling these clowns friends. :leg:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
zupanj said:
I used Crane just before they went out of business. I think they were more of a Mopar oriented group whereas I think Comp tries to be all things to all people. If anything they are Chevy oriented in my opinion.

Crane is back in business.

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
zupanj said:

So what did you find that you did wrong :acme: :lol:
he got to much sand in it from the camels

moparchris

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
what about Crower , erson , or engle
I have had great luck with Engle. All my turbo cams came from Engle. I know crower makes the best roller lifters but beyond that I dont know. Back in the day everyone had a flat cam from Erson. :lol: Hell even their T shirt had a flat cam lobe in the picture. :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
moparstuart said:
what about Crower , erson , or engle
I have had great luck with Engle. All my turbo cams came from Engle. I know crower makes the best roller lifters but beyond that I dont know. Back in the day everyone had a flat cam from Erson. :lol: Hell even their T shirt had a flat cam lobe in the picture. :lol:
i'm pretty sure Engle is who grinds Bob's Mr six pac's cams , that was what the box said anyway . With nothing else on it .

CompSyn

Reaction score
red 69 runner said:
i am using amsoil 10 40 high zinc formula

:yeathat:

AMSOIL properly formulated high zinc motor oils: AMSOIL Classic and Vintage Vehicle - Link

I'm torn between Amsoil's 10W-30 Z-Rod or 10W-30 Dominator Race oil for my 383 when it gets done.

Here's the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standardized tests for the race oil -

RD30_FourBall_900.jpg

CompSyn

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Was the comparison with Valvoline Race Oil or everyday 10W30?

I'm not sure. I'll try and find the answer to that. I'd think that since the comparison is Hot Rod / Race oils that it'd be Valvoline's Race Oil.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Valvoline also has a racing conventional oil along with the racing oil. :nachos:

Back