• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Convertible PROJECT

chapdog105

Reaction score
I'd like to know some of your opinions as to how much $$$ my car is worth.
I don't have any pictures...yet. I'll post some soon.
I've had a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner Convertible for a loooong time. I'm only 30, but my dad gave me this project car when I was five years old. I moved out at 19, and took the car with me. It's been sitting in my garage (the same way it sat in my dad's garage) ever since.
I have everything for this car. Besides some small odds and ends that would come up in the restoration, everything is there. I even have extra doors and front fenders in better shape than what is on the car now. The top was replaced prior to storing the car for the past 28 years. It may be able to be saved. The car isn't is the greatest shape, but it's solid and is worth restoring. As far as anything needed on the body, it may need a drivers side rear quarter.
The car came with a 383 originally, but my dad got rid of the motor (actually threw it away!!! ouch!) in 1981, and bought a 440 to build a hot rod. I know this sounds crazy now, but I guess in 1981, when the car was only 12 years old, who would've thought a numbers matching car would be worth so much.
I've researched this car a lot, but it's hard to find a 1969 Roadrunner convertible in project shape. The car is rare!!! I know it's worth good money the way it sits....but how much???
Also, how much $$$$ does it typically cost to restore a car like this?
I'm not the most mechanical guy around either, so that should be noted.
I'm wondering if I should make the investment to restore this car, drive it, enjoy it, and hand it down to my son.
Or, maybe restore it, enjoy it for a bit, then sell it after it's complete.
Or, just sell it now, and use the $$$ to buy something I could enjoy now (boat, restored car, Harley, etc).

Thanks in advance for all of your help....

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

I moved this to the General section to get a little more attention. :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
First of all welcome. Now as far as your car, I cant place a value without seeing it, but as a rule you will get more for an assembled driver than a project in boxes. Depending on the degree of restoration your talking, and condition of car, your looking at $10 to $30k in parts plus labor on top of that. A 70 440/6bbl non #s vert just got $90k in the auction so you can see how you can get underwater in a hurry, if your not just doing this for pleasure. :beep:

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome. Always good to get more convertibles here. Depending on the starting condition, and to what level you want to take the car to, you could spend any where from 10 to 50 thousand. I think you should cut you losses now, and let me haul it off for junk.... :lmao:

V269

Reaction score
Agreed Bob. It will depend on how far you want to take the resto. Is it going to be a driver or is it going to be a concourse resto. This will make a big difference in what it will be worth in the end. However without the original engine it can never be 100 % correct anyway. It will also depend on whether you do the work or have someone do it for you. This has a huge factor on how much you spend in restoring it. Is it worth it ? Well that is all in the opinion of the owner and how money and time and knowledge you have. Most of us on here would probably say jump right in there and do it. I know I would. It will take you a fair amount of time but you are young and it sounds like there is some sentimental value here as well. Only you can make the correct decision. Good luck with it and welcome to the site. :cheers:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
Welcome. Always good to get more convertibles here. Depending on the starting condition, and to what level you want to take the car to, you could spend any where from 10 to 50 thousand. I think you should cut you losses now, and let me haul it off for junk.... :lmao:
Welcome Chapdog, And Harold, I know what you're up to. You're trying to make your project easier for yourself. Maybe you should show Chapdog why that would be!!! :devil: Or it might make it easier for him to deceide what to do!

droptop

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
droptop said:
Welcome Chapdog, And Harold, I know what you're up to. You're trying to make your project easier for yourself. Maybe you should show Chapdog why that would be!!! :devil: Or it might make it easier for him to deceide what to do!

This link has pictures of what I started with. I got a chuckle when I read the statement about my goal for the year. I just didn't say what year. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=714

chapdog105

Reaction score
I'll get some pictures up soon.
I appreciate all of your input guys, and it's good to be a part of this forum.
It's really cool to have a forum specifically for 69 runners....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Chapdog!

Tell Harold you'll take $25K for your project car as it sits; that ought to save him $10K in sheetmetal and bodywork on his...! :lol:

I used to have a droptop. A Y2 Sunfire yellow car with a H2X interior. Used to. :brickwall:

:jester:
ACME

69rrvert

Reaction score
Welcome to the board. I'll have to say keep the car, restore it and enjoy it. I remember when dad acquired the convertible in my sig back in the '80's it was in pretty rough shape. As a kid, I used to call it the calico coonvertible. It was little bit of every color. Quarter panal were beat up and it smoked like a freight train. Keep it. Thanks, Steven

V269

Reaction score
Harold, I checked out the pics of your car when you got it. :crazy: All I can say is WOW! That is going to be a lot of work. I thought my car was lot's of work but nothing compaired to your project. That's a serious commitment to say the least. I do however respect that. Where are you in the rebuild at this point ? :thumbsup:

droptop

Reaction score
Ken King said:
Harold, I checked out the pics of your car when you got it. :crazy: All I can say is WOW! That is going to be a lot of work. I thought my car was lot's of work but nothing compaired to your project. That's a serious commitment to say the least. I do however respect that. Where are you in the rebuild at this point ? :thumbsup:

In over my head! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site!! one question hasn't been asked yet.....what color was your car? certian members here will base their opinions on that( :jester: )
as far as how much $$ you want to put into the car, that depends on just how nice a car you want. show/trailer queens look beautiful, but not many will drive them much(don't want to get it dirty, scratch the high dollar paint,etc) personally, I drive mine in nice weather, alot. To work almost everyday in the summer. Of course, mine is a twenty footer, so it already has the scratches, and muddy 1/4s waiting for replacement. I'd say hang onto it, restore it as best as you can. Remember, it's not costing you a dime while it's in the garage. Be neat to someday pass it onto a third generation.
Here;s a shot of one I drug home a few years ago. aide form the new 1/4 skins, everything else was rusted, junk, or missing. I got it pretty much done only to lose it in a garage fire a couple years ago. Point is, I scrounged, traded, and bought parts. It didn't cost me a fourtune, and I had a blast with it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Sure does.
Welcome Chapdog, good to have you here at the looney bin! I can't comment on how much your car is worth or anything like that but being that is is a convertible '69 road runner I would say it is more than worthy of restoration - whether you do it or you sell it and let someone else take up the project. I wish you the best either way! :cheers:

chapdog105

Reaction score
Wow 69rvert! That's one sweet roadrunner vert.
To think that mine may actually look like that one day is a pretty cool thought.
The original color of mine was red. Some a-hole painted it yellow, and with a brush!!! I swear!
My dad bought it in around 1981 from an old man.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say keep it ragtops are pretty scarce and do get the attention, that being said a project one with the info given I would say realistically $15,000 projects are tough to sell right now, fixing it up well, you can go very low buck you would be suprised at what you can do yourself or on the cheap. Don't feel you need to do a top notch resto sometimes a rough around the edges car can be better since you don't need to worry about it sitting in a lot full of people as much or the stone chips either. Chomp away at little projects one at a time, use the redneck connection whenever you can, meaning if you have a trade/skill and can do side jobs trade work for work done to your car alot of mechanics/rebuilders freelance or use your side money to buy stuff for the car (then you won't feel like you are depriving your family for your project). No one here did any project overnight it takes awhile but the end result will be very fullfilling. GOOD LUCK! :beep:

_conv01.jpg

Back