• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Road Runner Convertible PROJECT

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Hard to value. I had a red vert. Used to :brickwall: :brickwall:

See pics of it in the thread in the section conveniently named "pics".

There has been a rough but likely savable project vert for sale for a few years at 6500 on a few Mopar sites including this one.

I would keep it if I were you, or at the very least trade it for a more done hardtop or post car.

chapdog105

Reaction score
I'm keeping it! I'm going to start working on the car soon. I plan on getting everything out of the car, and getting ready for sand blasting within the next month or so. I'm set up with a body man that's going to take care of any rust, replace the rear quarters, and get the car ready for paint.
After doing a TON of research, I've realized my car isn't so bad! Especially the interior, it's actually in great shape.
I know it won't be easy, but I'm ready for the challenge!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
chapdog105 said:
I'm keeping it! I'm going to start working on the car soon. I plan on getting everything out of the car, and getting ready for sand blasting within the next month or so. I'm set up with a body man that's going to take care of any rust, replace the rear quarters, and get the car ready for paint.
After doing a TON of research, I've realized my car isn't so bad! Especially the interior, it's actually in great shape.
I know it won't be easy, but I'm ready for the challenge!
That's good news! At least this way you know exactly what you are starting with, and shouldn't have any big suprises. Don't forget now. Keep us posted on how things are going and don't forget to take a picture or two!!!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad to hear it. Now, don't get overwhelmed(but you will), don't feel like it's taking forever(but it will). Just plug away at it(and take plenty of pics for the pic hounds here.

droptop

Reaction score
I still say you should let be haul it off for junk. :jester: Good luck with your project, and keep us posted.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Just take your time, diagrams and take pictures help tremendously when its time to go back together.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Just take your time, diagrams and take pictures help tremendously when its time to go back together.

What Jay said...because you NEVER know how long it will be before you get back to reassembling bits, pieces, or the entire car for that matter... Even if you don't do anything else that the guys on this site tell you, heed this advice...you'll be glad you did...

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Pics pics pics. I took over 500 as I took it apart and still missed one or two. It sure helps you remember. :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Pics pics pics. I took over 500 as I took it apart and still missed one or two. It sure helps you remember. :thumbsup:

X2 :thumbsup: Have fun with it. Good luck.

chapdog105

Reaction score
What about paint?
The car came original with R4 (red).
I have a local guy that can paint it to factory level, nothing too fancy, but not junk, for $900.
That's getting it back to what it originally looked like, no clear coat, no flake.
My restoration budget is about 9 to 10 grand, and getting the body straight, primed, and ready for paint is going to eat $5,000 of my budget. I need another $2,000 for my windshield, new top, tires, and odds and ends, and I'll need $2,000 under the hood on motor and related parts.
That leaves me about $1,000 for paint, assuming nothing else ends up grossly over budget.

My logic is that I should go with the $900 paint job, and if I don't like it, I can have it repainted later down the road when I have more cash.

What do you guys think????

Anyone rockin' a R4 factory paint job? How will it hold up??

Also, I'm currently striping EVERYTHING out of the car before I take it to the sandblast shop. Should I go all the way and take out the dash, windshield, wiring?? I'd like to have the car done right, and in my opinion, stripping the car down as far as possible would be more work, but better in the end. What's your guy's take out there?

Thanks,
Alex

droptop

Reaction score
If you have the car blasted, you need to take it down to a bare shell. Even then, you will have a hard time getting all of the blast media out of EVERYWHERE!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
If you have the car blasted, you need to take it down to a bare shell. Even then, you will have a hard time getting all of the blast media out of EVERYWHERE!
That's for sure! I was told that my car had been and must of had that treatment. I am always cleaning this very fine material that falls from under the dash and lands on the center console, and I've had the car going on 5 years now!

mcmopar

Reaction score
After media blasting you need to use compressed air and spray it in every mook and cranny you can find - and then do it some more. Even then, you'll never get it all out. You need to get as much as you can, though because when you start painting you don't want to kick up a cloud of that stuff all over your nice new paint job.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I would worry about the sand holding moisture too, that could start rust??. $900 paint job sound like my style, as you can drive it without the stresses and worries chips and nicks and parking it somewhere and it should touch up nice. Budgetwise I would make sure the dash, front suspension and engine compartment and top all get the best of everything the rest you can compromise on and redo easy enough a little at a time as the years go by. a real R4 ragtop is pretty neat, that is the most popular color for seeing those redone in I'd bet there are more in that color out there now that the factory ever made, I've thought about that color for mine too, but now I think I want to go with 999 green someday in the very very distant future.

jays69bird

Reaction score
$900,wow I was quoted $800 to fix a couple of bubbles and paint the hood treatment,9 bills for the whole car ain't bad.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
$900,wow I was quoted $800 to fix a couple of bubbles and paint the hood treatment,9 bills for the whole car ain't bad.

Not to be a wet blanket, but paint and bodywork are like everything else in this life; you get what you pay for... A $900 paint job will probably look like a $900 paint job... :cents:

John69RR

Reaction score
$900.00?? I was quoted between $750.00 and $800.00 just for the engine bay, and that was me pulling everything out.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and this stuff is why my new 1/4 s are still hanging in the garage..... :brickwall:

Back