• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 gold bird progress from start to now

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
This runner has had the roof cut almost to the quarter panel seam, all the floors removed, and everything from the inner quarters back taken out (including the package tray and deck filler panel). Most people would call it a lost cause, and they might be right, but I am going to (attempt to) prove them wrong!
The assembly has been going very quickly and I have got the roof structure complete, rocker panels repair and replaced, outer wheel housings welded in place, front floor pan welded in, and now... the rear end I have built separately is ready to be installed. Just a few days ago, only half the car was left, if that. It didn't even really resemble a car. More like a metal box. Now it is taking shape. Here are some photos from start to present:
upload_2017-8-28_22-29-0.png
got the car in Snoqualmie (that's why it is heavily covered in snow compared to everything else). It is hard to see but under all that growth, primer, and rust, is the original coat of gold paint.
1968FourDoorCoronet.jpg
That is parts car #1 I had bought it when I was 13 years old along with another coronet and had plans to put the two together into a two door coronet.
upload_2017-8-28_23-3-43.png
There is the other coronet. This one is the two door. and can you believe it has now become the mess of body parts below!
upload_2017-8-28_22-32-36.png
Parts pile required to help build the car.
upload_2017-8-28_22-34-49.png
professionally, and I use the term loosely, painted engine. Lucky for me, it is numbers matching drivetrain, except the trans. It must have been replaced at some point.
upload_2017-8-28_22-40-58.png
This is the donor rear frame from one of my parts cars (the half a car pictured above)
upload_2017-8-28_22-41-17.png
Here is the donor rear floor pan out of one of my parts cars
upload_2017-8-28_22-47-50.png
Have the rear floor pan, new trunk pan, new tail panel, new rear cross member, new trunk extensions, and the spare tire mount all welded on the sand blasted frame.
upload_2017-8-28_22-38-17.png
And there is the finished rear assembly! On the top, it is sprayed in red oxide primer for now, but the finished underside is painted the final color.... Plum Crazy! Now that the rear assembly is ready, it is time to get the car ready for it.
upload_2017-8-28_22-52-22.png
I think there is going to be a lot of cuts and tetanus shot by the end of disassembly. I still to this day do not understand how this car did not collapse! Half of the passenger side frame rail is gone! The rear clip, or the chunk that has been removed already (By removed I mean fell off) was only attached in two places! AND, I didn't have to remove the trunk pan or gas tank... mother nature already did it for me! Now you can see why nobody(except me) would touch this car with a 10ft pole. Half the car is scrap metal at best. I bet if you took it to a crushing yard, they would pay nothing for it.

To be Continued....

Last edited:

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Funny story to add to this:

When I first went to look at the car, I tapped my fist on the bottom of the floor pan (or what I thought was the floor) and I thought damn, these floors are solid! Feeling lucky, I bought the car on the spot for $4500. When I got it home, I immediately started taking the seats out to look at the floor. The front seats were buckets out of a 68 ford falcon and they teetered back and forth, which should have given me a clue that something fishy was going on here. Whoever was the previous owner (not the guy I bought it from but who ever owned it pre 1992) had layed down a sheet of 1/2 inch thick foam, with a Persian rug design on one side underneath the carpet so that they didn't fall through the floor while driving it. To be honest, I can't think of anyone who would be brave enough to ride in that thing with the combination of no floors, foggy wind screen, nasty seats, and missing windows. I have a hunch that the guy who did all this was a teenager of the 80's. I mean, only a teenager would cover half the car in primer, spray paint the whole engine blue (even the alternator), paint the engine compartment black, install a power steering pump and radiator from a jeep, have all different tires on each wheel with various amounts of wear, etc., etc. Luckily though, I am a teenager that is the complete opposite, which means it is getting done right and this bird will fly higher then ever.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes. This car I have was not that bad had a lot of body work done back in the day. But a lot of bad work or should I say cut a lot of corners. They where the Bond O king of restoration. :)

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Yes. This car I have was not that bad had a lot of body work done back in the day. But a lot of bad work or should I say cut a lot of corners. They where the Bond O king of restoration. :)
This car had some Bondo at the bottom of the quarters and wheel housings, but the rust was so bad, it had all just fallen off.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sometimes there is no reason why someone would tackle a major project like this. be way better to find a complete rust free done car. But when you're driving down the road it will be worth all the cuts,and effort. Keep the pics coming.

droptop

Reaction score
Becareful when using body components from the Coronet. The wheelbase on a Dodge is longer than a Plymouth.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So far things have matched up good. With the donor parts from the Coronet. Just needed the upper outer roof frame. Seam to be the same now that it is on. Putting on the Roof skin will tell the story. Hope it all goes well. Don't need any more set back's. Keep up the good work Palmer. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if you guys need any reference pics, HemiBeep has an album full.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
sometimes there is no reason why someone would tackle a major project like this. be way better to find a complete rust free done car. But when you're driving down the road it will be worth all the cuts,and effort. Keep the pics coming.
It sure will! And it should be cheaper.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Becareful when using body components from the Coronet. The wheelbase on a Dodge is longer than a Plymouth.
So far no problems have arisen when test fitting everything at once. The parts I used off of Coronet we're all the same part numbers as the Plymouth.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The wheel base is one inch longer do to a longer spring hanger but the sheet metal other than the exterior skin should be the same

droptop

Reaction score
I tried to use a foot well section from a Coronet in a Plymouth and it would not fit, to long. I ordered an AMD part (same part number for Dodge and Plymouth) and it fit fine. ?????

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Weird:wtf:? All the body parts should be exactly the same, as you said they have the same part numbers. The only different ones are the obvious panels like the quarters and fenders. I will try to get out to my four door Coronet and measure the wheelbase, since some sources say 116 in. for Coronet and others say 117 in. I will be able to confirm the correct measurement. I did read though that the wagons we're 117 in., Which is more believable, since I think the platform is different in the back. Regardless, my panels are fitting and I am happy about that:).

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Interesting, Sherman also shows the same part#. I personally haven't tried tried them though, you guys are more hands on when it comes to the body.. I do know about the spring hangers though and the Dodge is longer.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
The inner Roof frame pieces I got from Palmer are the same. As in my pics it fit fine. May be that the area from the rear wheels and back end is longer. All other parts I have gotten come from AMD for Satellite and Roadrunner. Of course Have to tweak them into place. When I took off my driver side rear quarter found bond O on the rocker. Think the body guy tried to fool the owner that he had fixed it. Had a few holes rusted out but patched them and the a few drain holes had rusted out a bit but made patch their. Now the rocker looks fine. Use Rust reform from east wood then paint with Epoxy. This should keep it from rusting any more paint inside and out all parts. :beep:

Back