• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 gold bird progress from start to now

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
I had to use the rear frame from one of the coronets in the roadrunner and so far, from test fitting, it is all the right length. I had placed the front of the frame assembly in the right spot on the rockers, then put the quarter panel in place against it. The quarter panel fit perfectly:). So, I just know, that the parts I used out of the Coronet (rear frame, under seat floor pan, roof pieces, cowl patches, door hinge mounting area) all are exactly the same as the runner's. What year Coronet did it come out of? 68-70 are all identical, but before that, only the front floor pan is the same and possibly a few other things.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is the way you have to do it. My quarter from AMD is not fitting so well but like all the rest of the after market parts will have to tweak it a little here and their. Will make it work. Putting on Lock pillar next then working on the tail light bucket and that area along with putting on the outer wheel tub. Ho what fun it is. But at least I am at the rear of the car. Russ. :steering:

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
As 69HemiBeep pointed out, I was able to confirm that the spring hangers are 3/4 in. longer on the coronet when compared to the Plymouth's. This is the only thing that made the wheel base of them about 1 in. different. This means though, that a drive shaft out of a coronet for the same transmission would probably not fit in a Plymouth b-body, as it would be too long. So be aware when buying used parts. I have seen many cases on ebay where sellers will say things fit all b-bodies but they don't.
I also found that on only a four door coronet, the outer wheel housings are the same as the road runners, where as they are not the same as the 2 door coronet. This is the four door coronet I own:
It is pretty cool to still be able to see where they dipped the cars. This car, when I got it, had very little rust and things like this wheel housing didn't have all the surface rust. but after sitting a while exposed to salty air, it rots away quickly. It still has lots of the factory chalk markings too. I need to document them before they disappear for good.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
I have an update on the car's progress as well. The red primer was finished being sprayed over the back of the car and the interior. And, with help from my dad, I got a leveling jig welded up so that I can marry the two halves together easier and more correctly. I made the leveling jig out of some scrapes I picked up at a local metal yard, some carriage bolts w/ matching nuts welded to frame legs, and a 10ft (I believe) Powermatic table saw fence extension. Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but we don't have a Powermatic table saw and it has been sitting around in the garage gathering dust and occasionally falling and hitting people in the head. I think my dad enjoyed cutting it into pieces:D. Revenge is sweet, and can make a sweet cart!
upload_2017-8-31_0-25-15.png
Now that the car is all level, I need to make a small jig to level out the rear assembly. Then, they can come together for good, and some large steps will be made in this build.
upload_2017-8-31_0-24-43.png

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"This means though, that a drive shaft out of a coronet for the same transmission would probably not fit in a Plymouth b-body, as it would be too long. "

I ran a driveshaft from a '69 Charger in my last road runner without any problems.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Drive shafts can be cut and to the length you need. But their are shop's that do that. They will balance it also. Not too bad on price. We use to get them from the junk yard and have them cut to fit our cars. Russ.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Today I had to finish getting the car and rear assembly level, so another jig was needed. But, I didn't get to it until 3:00 because of high school orientations:mad:. Crazy schools take as much summer as possible away. I am a sophomore now. Anyways, I used the bumper bracket bolt holes to mount a jig to the back of the rear assembly allowing me to level it to the car. The front of the rear assemble just rests in place on top of the rocker panels.
20170831_181135.jpg
20170831_181412(0).jpg
After finishing leveling everything out, I just could not resist mocking everything up. Damn it looks good (the car I mean).
20170831_192351.jpg
20170831_191926.jpg
When test fitting them, it was found that there were issues with the tail panel. When putting the taillight buckets in, the driver's side would not fit. That is when I was thinking "Oh F*%$. What is wrong?" I was worried the quarter panel was made incorrect, which was made by golden star (were really cheap!), not amd (too expensive for me). It turned out though that the source of this cataclysmic failure, was the AMD tail panel! It was the only AMD part I bought in the first place because golden star didn't make it, and it just so happens that it is the one that was ridiculously off. On the side that fit correctly, the overall height measured 5 5/8 in, and on the faulty side, it measured 6 in. This meant I had to cut a whole 3/8 off one side to get everything to fit. And there were other flaws too on the panel like all the center lines not lining up on center! There are three distinct center lines on the tail panel. One at the rolled over edge at the top, one on the body line that runs across, and one that is an indent in a body line where the license plate light wire would run down to the bumper. None of those line up. Might have to try and fix them with bondo to line them all up. Other than the tail panel, everything lines up really well around the wheel wheels and in the back corners.
20170831_193023.jpg
20170831_192239.jpg

whayden2003

Reaction score
Can't help but ask. Are you doing this is a apartment complex or gated community. Can't help but look at backgrounds of pictures. It's a disease.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea my quarter had issues where joined the back window. Where the corner filler is and the out side window frame metal. Had to get a hammer and some flat bar and reformer the edge. It was too long at very back and the same with the tab at the corner filler. It was sitting higher that the filler panel gutter edge. Also set to high off the tail light so it did not want to line up even under the rocker. But got it now and always think the problem through. Your car is looking good and see the progress you have made. Well got to run Russ.

Palmer Moe-par 68

Reaction score
Can't help but ask. Are you doing this is a apartment complex or gated community. Can't help but look at backgrounds of pictures. It's a disease.
Yeah, no. I live in a culdisack that use to be all one plot of land. The house I live in is the original 1907 farm house. All the other houses kind of look like small apartment buildings(they aren't pretty). Our garage is full of tools so I have to work in the driveway.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
At least you have the drive way. Have worked out on the dirt before and it is no fun. But a man has to do what ever it takes. Looking Good. Russ. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nuthin wrong with laying in the dirt...gravel sucks, or under a nice tree.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Rolling in the dirt is a man thing. With grease on my face and under my finger nail's and a cold one after working. :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
been getting back to doing this after a year of working 12 hours shifts. Not always happy for the reason, but it's given me satisfaction in the doing.

Back