• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
It's not mine, just the next one in line. Gonna strip it totally down, strip it bare metal and do it right......Already has new quarters and floor pans........ :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
looks like a great project.....you welding the quarters or glueing them on......i hear glueing them on is all they do on the late model cars today.....they did a test and the sheet metal ripped apart before the glue.....strong stuff and no worry about rust or seam sealers either :D

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
looks like a great project.....you welding the quarters or glueing them on......i hear glueing them on is all they do on the late model cars today.....they did a test and the sheet metal ripped apart before the glue.....strong stuff and no worry about rust or seam sealers either :D
Quarters and floorpans are already installed.......welded in and they did a nice job. :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Great lookin' project Gary! I think that guy is wearing the wrong shirt!!! :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
looks like a great project, I'd love to have a '68 GTX.
one of the guys at work does bodywork. he offered to domy 1/4s, and he glues them. what's everyones thoughts on glueing?
[/color]

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I'm just old school I guess...if it's metal...bust out the welder...

I hope there isn't a split in the time space continume.......I agree.. :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
ACME A12 said:
I'm just old school I guess...if it's metal...bust out the welder...

I hope there isn't a split in the time space continume.......I agree.. :D
I gots to make a note on this me to, we agree. Now if we could sit down for piece talks, Naaaa :snowball:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm not sure about gluing the quarters on, but from everything I hear, glue is a very good method for attaching metal panels. If done right, the metal will tear before the joint breaks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
I'm not sure about gluing the quarters on, but from everything I hear, glue is a very good method for attaching metal panels. If done right, the metal will tear before the joint breaks.
Ive heard the same thing but I don't know if lets say, the trunk lip is a large enough surface to bond a quarter to :huh:

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
Ive heard the same thing but I don't know if lets say, the trunk lip is a large enough surface to bond a quarter to :huh:

Yea, I would think that it would be best with joints designed to use the glue.

I've been thinking of replacing the front half of my RR floor pan, welding it around the front and sides like the factory spot welds, making an overlap joint over the t-bar cross member and using glue for that joint. I would be using the front 1/2 of the AMD floor and joining it to the orginal floor.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:
[quote="Big John":1scowvl6]I'm not sure about gluing the quarters on, but from everything I hear, glue is a very good method for attaching metal panels. If done right, the metal will tear before the joint breaks.

I've been thinking of replacing the front half of my RR floor pan, welding it around the front and sides like the factory spot welds, making an overlap joint over the t-bar cross member and using glue for that joint. I would be using the front 1/2 of the AMD floor and joining it to the orginal floor.[/quote:1scowvl6]
If you were to bond something that would give you enough surface, but there is allot of torque to the floor and that t-bar is the easiest spot to weld. Drill and plug weld. I was looking at the same thing on my Valiant :cents:

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:

I've been thinking of replacing the front half of my RR floor pan, welding it around the front and sides like the factory spot welds, making an overlap joint over the t-bar cross member and using glue for that joint. I would be using the front 1/2 of the AMD floor and joining it to the orginal floor.
If you were to bond something that would give you enough surface, but there is allot of torque to the floor and that t-bar is the easiest spot to weld. Drill and plug weld. I was looking at the same thing on my Valiant :cents:

I would drill and plug weld to the cross member. All the factory welds would be duplicated, just where my new section of floor attaches to the old section (over the cross member) would be glued. I'd make a nice lap joint with the old section, lay the glue in and attach the new section to it. It would save making a four foot long weld.

Back