• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`70 road runner - finally getting to the restoration!

torredcuda

Reaction score
I wish it was going faster but I`m old with a bad back so progress is slow. I have to limit my time in the garage to a couple hours a day tops or I pay for it. I don`t really have a set goal/timeline to get it done but hopefully will have it ready to paint by spring.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I struggled with my age and bad back also. Can feel for you. Took almost 5 years to complete the project by myself. Needed friends to help put sheet metal on the car. Lifting those parts by yourself can be a challenge. blocking the car with that long block was pain full. LOL. Keep up the work buddy you will get there. :thumbsup2:

MoparDan

Reaction score
I struggled with my age and bad back also. Can feel for you. Took almost 5 years to complete the project by myself. Needed friends to help put sheet metal on the car. Lifting those parts by yourself can be a challenge. blocking the car with that long block was pain full. LOL. Keep up the work buddy you will get there. :thumbsup2:
I'm right there with you Russ. I turn 68 next month. My mind says I can do anything, but the body? Well you know.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I`m 63, had back surgery for herniated discs and pinched nerve 18-20 years ago then a car accident in 2019 that re-injured it. I used to work 8-10 hours a day manual labor and then work in the garage till 10pm every night and weekends but those days are over. I had to retire on disabilty so I have the time just have to do it in small increments and of course money is limited but I`ll just plugging away when I can.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I doubt the road runner will be driveable by then but I`ll be there with the Barracuda - always a great time with great Mopar people!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It is just too bad that some of us live so far away from each other. Guess this is the only way we will ever get to talk and see each other's cars. I love to drive the runner. But taking it on a long trip scares me. Have had some problems with it like fuel pump and a bad brand-new positive battery cable. But I guess that comes with the territory. Want to fly up to the Mopar nationals one year. Maybe get to meet some of you in person. Know all about bad backs torredcuda and it is no fun when the kick in. Will be watching all of your progress on here. Post plenty of pics. The day you finish the car is one of the grates days of your life. Even with a glitch here and there but that is all a part of it. :thumbsup2: :kartman:NOW WHERE IS THAT BEER ASSISTANT!!!!!!!!!#%$&&

torredcuda

Reaction score
Only been to the Nats once back in 1989, have been going to Carlisle for a bunch of years. Only brought my Barracuda down twice - both times on/in a trailer as driving 8 hours with 3.91`s and Flowmasters would not be fun. Hopefully I`ll have the road runner at Carlisle in 2024.

torredcuda

Reaction score
Drill baby drill! Got the holes done on the trunk pan and the bonus is I remembered to sand and scuff it BEFORE I welded it in - which is much easier.

20221214_110017.jpg

20221215_110628.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I read to remove the shipping epoxy on the sheet metal from AMD. I wondered why. So, I cleaned it off and found rust in some places. The parts must sit for a while before going to the paint booth. After that I cleaned all my panels prepped with rust proofer then epoxied them. That is a fact of drilling all those holes. Too bad we don't have the welding gun the factory had where the frame was grounded, and you just pushed the tip of the welder to it. Would make things so much faster. Doing a good job and wish it all goes well. :thumbsup2:

torredcuda

Reaction score
I read to remove the shipping epoxy on the sheet metal from AMD. I wondered why. So, I cleaned it off and found rust in some places. The parts must sit for a while before going to the paint booth. After that I cleaned all my panels prepped with rust proofer then epoxied them. That is a fact of drilling all those holes. Too bad we don't have the welding gun the factory had where the frame was grounded, and you just pushed the tip of the welder to it. Would make things so much faster. Doing a good job and wish it all goes well. :thumbsup2:
The e-coat is usually a good base for primer but after your discovery I`m not so sure, I may have to sand a few sections to bare metal to see. I still need to prep and coat inside the rails with rust preventative paint before welding the pan in. Ya, it would be great to a spot welder like the factory did, there are some portable ones available but for the few cars I build not really worth the investment.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say did not paint my trunk the color of the car. Was looking for durability. So had bought a bed line spray gun with 180 tip hose and 360 fan. to do inside every crack and craves. Of frame rails and rocker panels. Used Rust O lumen bed liner on the trunk after epoxy painting first. Had too thin it down some so the gun would spray it. Now it is not that rough the sand settled to the bottom of the gun. Yes, a little bit came out but not that bad. So far with the bottom of the car done and in wheel wells it is holding up just fine. This was the final sealer in and out of the car where I know it takes a beating. Also sprayed it inside my doors helps with noise. I guess I went a little crazy with it but everyone say's it will make the car last longer. LOL. Doing a good job guy's and hope you can get those runners on the road soon. :thumbsup2:

torredcuda

Reaction score
Not much progress on the car between holidays and my wife, myself and kid getting the China virus right after Christmas, hoping to start welding the trunk floor in next week. Another distraction was kid's cub scout Pinewood derby tomorrow, as a fundraiser they are having a separate parent's race so we had to build two cars this year. Kid's car is zombie apocalypse vehicle, hopefully you can tell what mine is.

20230120_121422.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
Welding has finally begun! Overall pretty happy with the fit, few areas need some minor tweaks. Once I finish plug welding I'll finish trimming off the quarters and fit the new ones up along with the trunk extensions.

20230131_111516.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
A little more progress - trunk floor is 90% welded and ground so started fitting extensions and quarters. They will need some tweaking in a few areas but not to bad overall.

20230303_102233.jpg

Back