• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`70 road runner - finally getting to the restoration!

torredcuda

Reaction score
I haven't updated in a while but still picking away at it. I have been fixing the lower corner on the drivers side and fitting the quarter panel. I finished fitting and welding the extensions on today, hopefully get both quarters fitted and clamped on to check trunk and door gaps before welding them.

20230430_134808.jpg

20230430_134817.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Nice it is a long road I know. Don't give up the ship. How many clamps does it take to hold a finder on till it is welded. I did use some tech screws in some places where clamps would not fit. Even found someone had left one in metal on the car where quarte met the filler panel. No, I got all of them out and welded up the hole. Keep up the work and looking forward to seeing the end results.

torredcuda

Reaction score
Ya, I use self tapping screws to hold panels together in places you can`t get clamps then just weld up the hole afterwards. What`s a few more when you`ve already welded and ground hundreds, and I still have the front floor pan to do? :rolleyes: At least I have my Barracuda to drive while this one gets restored - it killed me waiting for years to drive the Barracuda while I worked on it.

torredcuda

Reaction score
Got the door gap good finally, I had to hammer the front edge of the quarter back 1/8". Now I just have to do the same for the passenger quarter.

20230502_102141.jpg

20230502_102151.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
Ya, I hated to do it but I ground down a chunk of metal I use as a dolly to fit the curve of the edge so once I fine tune it there will very little filler needed.

torredcuda

Reaction score
Outer wheel houses are not too bad just lower front and where they meet the extensions are rusty so I made the decision to just splice in the bad sections. After cutting off the passenger skin I found damage from a previous accident so I am hammering it back into shape along with fitting the new section.

20230508_162002.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So, the hole lip that attached the quarter to the tub was rusted out on mine. Seeing how I was replacing the quarter had access to the tubs. Cut the new tub's at a point where the old ones would match close to the attachment point to the body or inner tub. There was a line there and that is where I seemed the new one on. Very good job wish that is all the damage my tub had but was too rusted on the outer lip meeting the quarter. Keep at it you're getting there. LOL.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I just wish my antique phones camera would focus once in a while :rolleyes: , I`d buy a new one but that takes away from the car fund. Sorry for all the crappy pics.

torredcuda

Reaction score
After a bit of a summer hiatus I am back at the passenger side quarter panel. It's going to need the same massaging at the door gap and also the window channel but nothing a few minutes with hammer and dolly won't fix.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
After having my back window not fit and a brand new one shatter. One person said his friend cut off the window frame and moved them and rewelded them in. I put new quarters on as you and also a new roof skin. So, I see how that could be off. One-of my worst days of the build. I measured and measured. the opening got tighter at the top and sides. Did put quite a bit of filler in the window channel to make it smooth. So, I will never know. IMG_0106.JPG

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hope you get it all worked out. You're doing a lot of work to the runner. Not many guys would take on that much of a project by themselves. How are you going to address the lead joint between the roof and quarter. Like what are you going to fill it with. I used all metal products. Some guys don't like it. Do fillers need more time to cure. We do not have heat lamp booths to dry the filler in on the car. Think they need a lot of time to finish curing if it is a large amount of the filler in certain areas. East wood sells a non-lead filler solider type. But still have to tin the area as using led. Psi strength is higher than lead. Hear is a pic of the roof and quarter lead area after applying Ice filler over the all metal to finish it smooth. IMG_0103.JPG

torredcuda

Reaction score
I just used either All-Metal or Mar-Glass on my Barracuda but after many drag strip passes with no frame connectors I have a crack on the drivers side. I now have connectors welded in so will eventually have to grind it out and repair the area. I have seen where guys weld in a strip to fill in the seam area so it is not so deep and stronger so I plan to do that on the road runner then finish with All-Metal. As far as projects this one is easy compared to my Barracuda as it is much more solid.

cuda metal work.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
Whipped up a stand to mount the dash frame to get it off the floor. I just used the extra engine stand and welded up some tubing I had laying around.

20231014_182107.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
I still have a bit of tweaking to do to be happy with the quarter panel fit but decided I just have to start the welding or it will never be done. I left the trunk lid on as my gaps were good before cutting it apart so that made it easier to get good lines again. I started welding the bottom edge of the tail panel and once that is done I'll do final fit on the quarters.

20231102_140003.jpg

20231102_140010.jpg

torredcuda

Reaction score
Seems like it`s taking forever, I miss the days where I could work a full time job and still have the energy to work in my garage till 10-11pm every night, I`m retired now and can barely do 2-3 hours before I`m tired and aching all over!

Back