71 road runner resto.

Body, Interior and Trim

1. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    I have waited 26 years to freshen my road runner and it will probably take half that to finish. Just pulled the front bumper, valence and grill and I can't believe how Chrysler put it together. I plan on doing the 26 inch radiator change for future AC all new suspension components and a disc brake conversion. My goal is to get the engine compartment painted and install the drive train and suspension then do the body panels one at a time. I already have a question for the body repair guys, how can I pull the nose of the front fender out about 1/4 inch.

20200321_163222.jpg

2. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    So what year runner is it. Why do you want to pull the front of the fender out. That will throw every thing else off. Chain reaction. Move one part and some thing else will need to move also. You can do any thing but may open a can of worm's.

3. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    It's a 71 and it took a hit right where the impact pad is and caused top left edge to fold. I have some more pics but is hard to see problem. You can see the gap where the fender and filler panel meet, they should butt up tight.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  4. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    here is another pic.

20200322_154520.jpg

Russ69Runner likes this.
  5. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Looks like it folded in. Is that correct? If so maybe a stud welder and pull it back out.

Plybeep68 likes this.
  6. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Ok got you. Now that is a tough place to work on. I would heat the metal and may be able to massage it back out. Like a piece of metal to fit in that area and lightly hammer it back out. Or like quikbird stated stud weld and a slam hammer. Too pull it. My rear quarter where it went over the inner frame was so tight it would not slip over. Had to bend it out then hammer it back to the shape I needed. I was sweating bullet's hoping I would not distort the rest of the metal. Think I would have the fender off and look from the back to see what it looks like from the area. May give you a better idea of what it need's. I have cut pieces of 3/8 inch flat bar and 1/4 inch to make tools to get into area's. Good luck better to fix it rite than do the bond O job.

7. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Well I picked the worst time to start a resto but being stuck at home gives me plenty of excuse and time to work on the car. The down side is I'm retired and live off my 401k which is now a 201k and it's hard to get materials as I need them. I managed to take the K-frame to a powder coater today and still maintain 6 feet of separation. Called my local paint and chemical supply and suggested that they could talk to me on the phone and place product in the trunk but they couldn't handle the billing?

8. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Quikbird, it did fold almost like a crumple zone. I think the rubber pad took the impact and rolled the panel so I might try to pull from the pad mounting point. Don't have a stud welder but may try to weld something on the edge of the fender that is covered by the bumper and not seen to pull on.

20200322_154520.jpg

Russ69Runner likes this.
  9. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Metal dose have some memory. If you heat it that will help metal relax and can be molded back in to shape. It also help's in moving the metal. Just don't get it too hot.

10. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    looking for lower grille fasteners on a 71 RR. Don't know what they are called.

20200326_163517.jpg

Russ69Runner likes this.
  11. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    You might look into parts mix if not then E bay. Something's are not reproduced yet. Wish ya luck on the search. :thumbsup2:

12. mopar jack

mopar jack Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Fresh on the grill 5 gallons of Evaporust! For the last 2 weeks our weather is low 40s at night and high 50s to low 60s during the day and it's really slowed down the parts cleaning and painting. So set up my grill to use hot water to heat a 5 gallon Homer bucket filled with Evaporust and it's going great but gonna have to wait for mother nature to paint.

20200329_174614.jpg