• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 vs A-833 Weight

inri

Reaction score
Just wanted to put it out there that this weekend I weighed the following:

1969 727 Transmission w/stock transmission pan (no converter, no transmission fluid, etc.) - 126 lbs

1967 A-833 Transmission 18 Spline (no bellhousing, no clutch, no linkage, no rods, etc.) - 113 lbs

I imagine that once the following ancillary items are taken into consideration for each type of transmission, that they would more or less weight the same?:

727 - Torque converter ( 15 lbs) + 9 quarts of transmission fluid ( 16 lbs ) + transmission lines (1 lb ) + transmission cooler (1 lb) = +/- 33 lbs

A-833 - Bellhousing ( 25 lbs?? - this is a guess) + clutch ( 10 lbs - this is a guess also) + 4-speed linkage ( 5 lbs - also a guess) = +/- 40 lbs

Total weight 727 = 126 + 33 = 159 lbs

Total weight A-833 = 113 + 40 = 153 lbs

I was under the impression that manual transmissions were 50 or more pounds lighter than their counter parts? Was that an old wives tale or what? If anyone has better numbers for the A-833 Bellhousing, clutch, and linkage please let me know. The above is just some food for thought.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Every torque converter I ever picked up was way more than 15 lbs and you forgot the flywheel. Your probably a little light on the pressure plate but I have a disc and pressure plate I can weigh

inri

Reaction score
I'm going to weight my converter with flywheel today and post my findings. Let me know regarding the disc and pressure plate. Thanks.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
All I can say is this, I cussed more installing my A833 than I have installing a 727 by myself. However, I look forward to jam the gears once I get her back on the road.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never done a girlymatic in a car, but I did a couple 727s in my Power Wagon's. Even with the transfercase, it was easier than a 833. Might be that the truck sat a lot higher and was more worker friendly.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Maybe if you were comparing the later aluminum case 4 speed with an aluminum bellhousing, the weight might be a bit lighter than a 727... Even then, it wouldn't be 50 lbs.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
Ive put in a couple 833 i replaced the clutch in a 84 dodge pickup with a 833 over drive that one felt a lot heavier than a regular one. had to get a friend to help me i used to put 727s in on my chest that was a long time ago though ,

gunnar

Reaction score
Ive put in a couple 833 i replaced the clutch in a 84 dodge pickup with a 833 over drive that one felt a lot heavier than a regular one. had to get a friend to help me i used to put 727s in on my chest that was a long time ago though ,
Put a few transmissions in like that myself, always found the automatics more cumbersome, bigger, bulkier, harder to see what you are doing. Weight probably wasn't much different.

Big John

Reaction score

I could put the 4 speeds up on my chest, but I couldn't balance the 727 well enough to try it.

Wouldn't even think about it doing it without a trans jack now.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've heard for years about guys puttng 4 gears on their chest, never tried it myself.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Just did one but I think they are getting heavier :lol: I lift and balance the tail shaft with my knees and I use guide bolts in the two lower holes with the heads cut off. The hard part is getting under the tranny

Big John

Reaction score
Just did one but I think they are getting heavier :lol: I lift and balance the tail shaft with my knees and I use guide bolts in the two lower holes with the heads cut off. The hard part is getting under the tranny

It's my opinion that cast iron gets heavier as it ages. It must absorb moisture from the air or something.

All I know is all that car stuff used to be a lot lighter 20 years ago.

mopwrd340

Reaction score
Back then i used to drivw a residential garbage truck id probaly pick up 800 houses a day me and a helper i would probaly jump out of the truck 4 to 500 times a day so . i was in pretty good shape back then but now im paying for it i have a trans jack now,

inri

Reaction score
A bit late, but for those that stumble on this thread in the distant future will nonetheless appreciate the follow up post :)

A 10" race converter weights 22 lbs (on average), which is 7 lbs heavier than my original guesstimate.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Back then i used to drivw a residential garbage truck id probaly pick up 800 houses a day me and a helper i would probaly jump out of the truck 4 to 500 times a day so . i was in pretty good shape back then but now im paying for it i have a trans jack now,

Same here, when I installed my 833 last fall, I was using my old floor jack. Well being and old jack, it lost pressure while the trans was being installed. When it lower the trans became off balanced and fell off the cup and on to the floor and my hand. Thought for sure I had broke something including my hand. Fortunately I did not have the car to far in the air. Eventually I did get it installed using a trans jack.

Oh and Inri, there is no such thing as being late to posted thread, that the reason for the site to share our experiences and give advice.

Last edited:
Back