• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 vs A-833 Weight

tallhair

Reaction score
Just did one but I think they are getting heavier :lol: I lift and balance the tail shaft with my knees and I use guide bolts in the two lower holes with the heads cut off. The hard part is getting under the tranny

It's my opinion that cast iron gets heavier as it ages. It must absorb moisture from the air or something.

All I know is all that car stuff used to be a lot lighter 20 years ago.

I've done the same thing as Big John quite a few times but it was 20 years ago and they were much lighter back then. I had the car up on ramps to have the clearance to be on my back with trans on chest and used my knees too. Did it 4 times one night while trying to get it back together

Last edited:

inri

Reaction score
I've done the same thing as Big John quite a few times but it was 20 years ago and they were much lighter back then. I had the car up on ramps to have the clearance to be on my back with trans on chest and used my knees too. Did it 4 times one night while trying to get it back together

That's crazy. These auto's are roughly 140 lbs dry with a torque converter!! That's alot of weight to balance and bolt up.
I'm pretty sure I'm not strong enough nor do I have a big gut :) to even consider doing that. You're a brave man.

inri

Reaction score
Thread over at Moparts says 18 spline with oil minus the levers was 120 lbs

Flywheel approx 35 lbs
Clutch and steel bell housing 65 lbs (alum bell housing way lighter but ??)

So total 220 lbs

Does someone have an actual weight of a 727 w/TC and fully filled?

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...swer&Number=5453948&Searchpage=5&Main=5451725

Tallhair,

Thanks for the link. It appears most posts on that link are guesstimates of the A-833 weight; while I have actually weighted mine. So I am 100% confident that my A-833 weights 113 lbs dry. No guesswork here.

As for the 727 with a torque converter, I report weights of; 126 + 22 + 16 = 164 lbs (transmission, converter, 9 quarts of fluid) - all have been weighed and verified by me via a scale. I believe a stock pan takes 7 quarts so one would need to take a pound or so off the fluid weight total. Nonetheless, even if I rounded up the combined weight of the 727 to 170 lbs it still appears that a 727 with a torque converter, an extra deep pan with 9 quarts of fluid is roughly 50 lbs lighter that an A-833, based on the 220lbs that was reported?!

Granted, an aluminum bell-housing would close the gap some. I still believe the weights I have taken show the 727 to be significantly lighter...

tallhair

Reaction score
Tallhair,

Thanks for the link. It appears most posts on that link are guesstimates of the A-833 weight; while I have actually weighted mine. So I am 100% confident that my A-833 weights 113 lbs dry. No guesswork here.

As for the 727 with a torque converter, I report weights of; 126 + 22 + 16 = 164 lbs (transmission, converter, 9 quarts of fluid) - all have been weighed and verified by me via a scale. I believe a stock pan takes 7 quarts so one would need to take a pound or so off the fluid weight total. Nonetheless, even if I rounded up the combined weight of the 727 to 170 lbs it still appears that a 727 with a torque converter, an extra deep pan with 9 quarts of fluid is roughly 50 lbs lighter that an A-833, based on the 220lbs that was reported?!

Granted, an aluminum bell-housing would close the gap some. I still believe the weights I have taken show the 727 to be significantly lighter...

The comment I was talking about is the 8th post down showing the scale with the weight of 120.1 lbs showing. It was filled weight and if you want an accurate comparison of the weights you would want 'filled' weights in my opinion. It was a 18 Spline trans but I don't imagine it's much diff on the weight than a 23 spline.

Last edited:

tallhair

Reaction score
That's crazy. These auto's are roughly 140 lbs dry with a torque converter!! That's alot of weight to balance and bolt up.
I'm pretty sure I'm not strong enough nor do I have a big gut :) to even consider doing that. You're a brave man.

I was talking about a 4 speed.

Last edited:
Back