• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 Heads

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":3gnyafsl]Any of you guys know what chiggers are?

Unfortunately, YES!

Readers Digest version: I went swimming in my Uncle's pond in Mississippi. That won't happen again...

:jester:[/quote:3gnyafsl]
:lmao: I must have 20 of them from my waste down......I even had bug spray on.............. :loco:

mcmopar

Reaction score
My grandparents used to call them "red bugs". Nasty little buggers. When I was a kid in Texas we used to have to put up with them. Mom would just put a dab of nail polish or Calamine lotion over them. Seems the nail polish suffocates them - at least that is what I was told - and the Calamine lotion soothes the itch.
Funny thing is - I've lived if Florida since '81 and have never had any problems with them. Sand fleas, on the other hand, almost ate me up on Sanibel Island one summer vacation.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I usually just scratch them until they will scab over and they quit itching. However, if they are in certain areas........... :lmao: you probably don't want to do that.............. :cheers:

John69RR

Reaction score
Calamine Lotion works. Our daughter got in to some while picking blackberries. Taking a shower soon after noticing them helps also.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I can't say that I've ever noticed them. Too small for me to see. I get a bunch every year when I do some bush hogging. Normally the bug spray works. Maybe it was out of date. :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My Mom lives up in Prescott about 5500ft and talks about "no see ums" I guess they bite you and they are gone before you see um, ever hear of them :huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah - I've heard that phrase, too. That's what they call sand fleas here in Florida, too. You might not see um but you sure do feel um!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
My Mom lives up in Prescott about 5500ft and talks about "no see ums" I guess they bite you and they are gone before you see um, ever hear of them :huh:
We have those here to. I think they are a type of mosquito but they are small and clear. Not 100% sure though. :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Bob, you're not one of those ultra-rare native Arizonans...are you? I am a quasi-native floridian; born here but didn't grow up here being a military brat. Every time I say I'm a native my Ohio-transplant wife corrects me... :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

Bob, you're not one of those ultra-rare native Arizonans...are you? I am a quasi-native floridian; born here but didn't grow up here being a military brat. Every time I say I'm a native my Ohio-transplant wife corrects me... :lol:

Yes, I should be put on a protected species list. My junior year in highschool we moved to Wyoming and was there for 10 years.

A12

Reaction score
Nice work!!!! :cheers: :cheers: Just as you get half way through doing one you start remembering that you have another head to do and now there's no turning back, yikes that a lot of work, again nice work :thumbsup:

Did a little clean up on my 906 heads too so I feel your pain.....

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
A12 said:
Nice work!!!! :cheers: :cheers: Just as you get half way through doing one you start remembering that you have another head to do and now there's no turning back, yikes that a lot of work, again nice work :thumbsup:

Did a little clean up on my 906 heads too so I feel your pain.....
Looks good, I did both at the same time instead of doing 1 complete head then the other. Thanks. Yours look great. :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the seats cut tonight. My head guy is leaving for vacation so I told him lets just cut the seats, I can handle the rest myself. So....that's what we did..........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Now I just need to lapp the valves, then cc the heads again and see how much I need to mill..........I'm really enjoying this whole project..........It may never run again........... :lol:

BBillyC

Reaction score
I'm np expert on head machining but was told that the 906 doesn't like hardened inserts as one side of the valve has to be very thin which causes them to come loose? I want to do the same to my 906's but have held back. Looks like your job has come along very nicely and you may be convincing me to do the same, Thanks

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Just spent 2 hours lapping valves on 1 head........... :brickwall: Man, oh man.........The new 3d cutters are great to get radiuses on your seat but I had 2 that had a slight amount of chatter and that's what I spent the most time on. They really look good now though......... :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Just spent 2 hours lapping valves on 1 head........... :brickwall: Man, oh man.........The new 3d cutters are great to get radiuses on your seat but I had 2 that had a slight amount of chatter and that's what I spent the most time on. They really look good now though......... :thumbsup:

I haven't done a valve job myself since 1984...and the equipment that I was using was already old when Truman was in office... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Trust me, 2 years ago I would have just went out and bought some indy aluminum heads and been done with it......... :thumbsup:

Back