• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

906 Heads

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Just spent 2 hours lapping valves on 1 head........... :brickwall: Man, oh man.........The new 3d cutters are great to get radiuses on your seat but I had 2 that had a slight amount of chatter and that's what I spent the most time on. They really look good now though......... :thumbsup:

there's a few places near my work where the girls make BIG $$ for lapping. But I'm not allowed to go there anymore since I told the Wife about one New Years.....

moparstuart

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Just spent 2 hours lapping valves on 1 head........... :brickwall: Man, oh man.........The new 3d cutters are great to get radiuses on your seat but I had 2 that had a slight amount of chatter and that's what I spent the most time on. They really look good now though......... :thumbsup:

there's a few places near my work where the girls make BIG $$ for lapping. But I'm not allowed to go there anymore since I told the Wife about one New Years.....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Hoosier Bird said:

Lapp it like a beagle............. :lmao:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, here is another update........if you guys get tired of me taking pictures of everything I'm doing, just say so..........First I cc'd the heads again and come up with 89 cc.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Next thing I did was to check the flat area on the rocker shaft boss to see if it was flat with the face of the head. It was within about .005 all over so I kissed it on the surface grinder so I could make a bar to bolt on and just have a flat surface to the face of the head for holding etc.....

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
This is another spare block I have laying around to mock up with. While the machine was running I did a little checking of this block. Casting date is June of 68 and it has no stamped serial #. Could this be a warranty block? If so I'll definately hang on to this baby.......

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Here is my setup on milling the face of the head.........I removed .063 :eek: off of the deck face, which should make them 74 cc.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
If you depth mic from the deck face of the head to the quench flat of the combustion chamber it is .036 insead of .099. When I did the second head I didn't take quite as much off, but I did maintain the .036.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
After that I had to set up and mill off .077 from each head on the intake side. That is about .0123 off of the intake per every .010 off of the deck face.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Here it is with both heads done and the intake fits perfect..........woooooo hoooooooo.................... :banana: :banana: :banana: :thumbsup: Now I can unpucker my butt hole...... :lmao: Now I have to cc the heads again to see if I am where I think I am............... :yesnod:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I'm gonna have to get me a good camera and quit using my cell phone. Sorry bout the blurry pics..........
I don't think the pics are all that bad Gary. And yeah, keep em coming. I only have a very basic knowledge of what goes into building an engine and I enjoy everything that's been posted here. Both your engine build and Bob's pics of his car going back together. all good stuff to me! Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Compared to some of the cell phone pics I've thrown up on this forum yours look like you're using a $700 digital camera... :lol:

Keep 'em comin'...

:jester:

BBillyC

Reaction score
After getting the block line bored and beginning the assembly I discover that the valve guides are toast...way to much wobble and need to be repaired. :brickwall: Any recommendations? What does a valve guide job cost in the US? I am now beginning to wonder if I'll get to drive this bird this year if everything I touch seems to need repair. The car itself looks awesome even with no engine in it. Maybe just buy a hemi and be done with it!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
The Hemi thing would be nice.......you can have your guides sleaved very reasonably. How much side to side movement does the valve have when it is about 1/4" off the seat? Check it both directions.

Back