• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-833 4-speed........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Even though you don't have the right tool for that job, which looks great, it must be nice to have most of the tools to do what you've done so far. That's got to be saving some money by not having to send these parts out for the work.
If I would have had to pay for the stuff I've been doing it would still be sitting in the garage running like crap.........I think things are starting to turn around now for us. I hope it holds up, I'm tired of working for free and living off of my savings...... :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Here's what I've been working on the last few nights..........a very manly shifter :lol: Anybody know what kind it is? :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ah...you gonna put a two spped axel in the bird! I remember riding with my Dad when I was little, watching him drive his tractor trailer, one hand on the shifter,one arm thru the MANUALLY steering wheel grabing the other shifter.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
ah...you gonna put a two spped axel in the bird! I remember riding with my Dad when I was little, watching him drive his tractor trailer, one hand on the shifter,one arm thru the MANUALLY steering wheel grabing the other shifter.
Sorry, no two speed axel.......... :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Was it a Mack Dave? I've heard that was the way some guys would shift a Duplex, or Triplex Mack tranny! When I went to tractor trailer school back in '75, one of the trannys that they were teaching us at the time were triplexes. It was a real pain trying to remember which gear you were in, and what lever position you had to be in, especially while down shifting. But I loved driving those early B model Macks. :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Here's what I've been working on the last few nights..........a very manly shifter :lol: Anybody know what kind it is? :D

Hurst Ram Rod

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":ra51nb6q]Here's what I've been working on the last few nights..........a very manly shifter :lol: Anybody know what kind it is? :D

Hurst Ram Rod[/quote:ra51nb6q]
Oh, yeah. Big John got it right. Bob was correct also it is an in-line. They quit making these back in the 70's and Mr. Gasket bought them out, I think. The Mr. Gasket unit takes a huge hole in the floor and this little jewel will go in the original hole. I think I can get a 70 RR boot and cut an extra hole in it and be good...........No side to side movement, Pull up on the spring loaded rod and push forward for first, slam it straight back for second, slam it straight forward for third, slam it straight back for fourth..............wooooooooo hooooooooooo :banana:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I had the Mr. Gasket version in my old racer! I shifted so fast some thought I had a clutchflight :thumbsup:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="Big John":vxmo0ydn][quote="Hoosier Bird":vxmo0ydn]Here's what I've been working on the last few nights..........a very manly shifter :lol: Anybody know what kind it is? :D

Hurst Ram Rod[/quote:vxmo0ydn]
Oh, yeah. Big John got it right. Bob was correct also it is an in-line. They quit making these back in the 70's and Mr. Gasket bought them out, I think. The Mr. Gasket unit takes a huge hole in the floor and this little jewel will go in the original hole. I think I can get a 70 RR boot and cut an extra hole in it and be good...........No side to side movement, Pull up on the spring loaded rod and push forward for first, slam it straight back for second, slam it straight forward for third, slam it straight back for fourth..............wooooooooo hooooooooooo :banana:[/quote:vxmo0ydn]
Gary, how do you downshift a shifter like that. Say you want to go from 4 to 2? Thinking you would have to go to N pull up and then back. The tranny looks great BTW.....Jim

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Basketcase said:
Was it a Mack Dave? I've heard that was the way some guys would shift a Duplex, or Triplex Mack tranny! When I went to tractor trailer school back in '75, one of the trannys that they were teaching us at the time were triplexes. It was a real pain trying to remember which gear you were in, and what lever position you had to be in, especially while down shifting. But I loved driving those early B model Macks. :thumbsup:

F Model Mack,Autocar,Diamond Reo.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Gary, how do you downshift a shifter like that. Say you want to go from 4 to 2? Thinking you would have to go to N pull up and then back. The tranny looks great BTW.....Jim
Yes, from 4th just pull up, go to neutral then straight back. From 3rd just pull up and straight back.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, I got this much done and realized I had assumed all linkage tabs went up............I hope this is right.......so, go ahead and break the news to me, good or bad.......... :brickwall:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="Jim S.":1kyc25d5]Gary, how do you downshift a shifter like that. Say you want to go from 4 to 2? Thinking you would have to go to N pull up and then back. The tranny looks great BTW.....Jim
Yes, from 4th just pull up, go to neutral then straight back. From 3rd just pull up and straight back.[/quote:1kyc25d5]
Yep, you are going to be Ronnie Sox with that. Excuse my "rookieness" but, where is reverse on that thing........Jim

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":1co1h4we][quote="Jim S.":1co1h4we]Gary, how do you downshift a shifter like that. Say you want to go from 4 to 2? Thinking you would have to go to N pull up and then back. The tranny looks great BTW.....Jim
Yes, from 4th just pull up, go to neutral then straight back. From 3rd just pull up and straight back.[/quote:1co1h4we]
Yep, you are going to be Ronnie Sox with that. Excuse my "rookieness" but, where is reverse on that thing........Jim[/quote:1co1h4we]
You go to neutral and shove the black knob forward...... :thumbsup: Your no rookie.........

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Roadcuda said:
Basketcase said:

F Model Mack,Autocar,Diamond Reo.
Those were the real trucks!

Back