• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Overdrive Grinding/whining noise? Normal?

DirtyBird

Reaction score
What is "scattering the aluminum pos."? Yeah I'm now convinced that putting the orig 4 speed back in is the smart move...I know I won't be driving this so often anyways so I'm fine with lower mpg...

I don't have a garage yet so I'll have to pay someone to put the orig tranny back in....does anyone know what's the normal charge for that (rough estimate is fine I just don't want to get fooled)?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and ...if you drive your car sensibly....I know I know..you'll get decent mileage. a few years ago when our gas topped $4 a gallon, I parked my Power Wagon and drove my road runner to work.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Oh how I'd love putting 100 miles a day on her if traffic weren't horrendous here (and if work payed my gas tab) haha

Ranger

Reaction score
@Ranger:
Not married just feeling things out...are you running a 440? How is first gear with the 323? I like the idea and would consider it...I really have no clue what my mpg is now but I (California) dream(in) of taking a road trip and getting 20pmg cruising down the highway but I love a good jump in first as well...cake and eat it too???
No, I'm running a 383.

I don't think 1st gear is bad at all (by my standards), but would probably not do well up against those lower ratio rear ends in a race. All depends on what you want out of it. Remember, you gotta trade one for the other.

20 MPG? Yup, you are "California dream'in". I get about 14 with the 383 & 3.23

Sorry for the late response, but was out of town for the weekend.

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
What is "scattering the aluminum pos."?

Breaking the aluminum case transmission. POS is internet slang...

Yeah I'm now convinced that putting the orig 4 speed back in is the smart move...I know I won't be driving this so often anyways so I'm fine with lower mpg...

I don't have a garage yet so I'll have to pay someone to put the orig tranny back in....does anyone know what's the normal charge for that (rough estimate is fine I just don't want to get fooled)?

You are in California.... You don't need a garage.... The weather is nice there.

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
buy me plane ticket.....:basketcase:

Exactly!

Ever work under the car and pile snow up around the side the wind was blowing through? Yea... Good times...

Big John

Reaction score
I will confess that is an experience that I have managed to avoid.
It's one of those character building experiences from my youth. It's makes my own garage feel like a part of heaven.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you guys shoulda seen some of the tents my Uncle Jim came up with to work on his tractor trailer in the winter time. damn shame he never finished his building.

Ranger

Reaction score
I have memories (not fond ones) of changing my buddies trans in his driveway, at night, in 10 Degree weather.
Granted, this was many, many moons ago when I was MUCH younger, tougher....................................and foolish.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
So in conclusion it sounds like:
A: I should consider putting the original a833 back in (maybe getting a rebuild kit from Passon, I'll need a separate thread to ask about this)
B: I might think about switching to 3.23 gears to achieve a tiny bit better mileage and lower rpms for highway cruising
C: I should not complain about no garage because California weather is awesome (we are in a bad drought fellers)
D: You all are tough mothers who skied 50 miles to school everyday and then came home and swapped out tranny's in -20 degree weather with 1 good hand...

;)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Box that A833 up send it to Passon and have him recondition it with an over drive kit. If its not numbers matching to the car just exchange it, the last I heard he gives $400 for a core. Unless your good with transmissions.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've gotten $200 for the OD trans from Jamie.

DirtyBird

Reaction score
I'm a little confused...
Send him the a833 unit and have him convert it to OD...and send him the OD a833 and he'll pay me for it? Did I get that correct?
Also, what will it cost for him to convert the a833 to OD, does anyone know? :>)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jamie can convert your original 833 to OD, plus he'll buy the current OD trans. I bought a new remain trans for my other car, traded three old 4 speeds, and the new on only cost me $200. Like to send him the one from this car.

https://www.passonperformance.com/

DirtyBird

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Any ideas what I might have to pay for the rebuild (even with the "trade in")? Also, isn't Jamie a busy man...I've heard there are tons of backup orders. I'll try to give Passon a call to dig in deeper.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no idea on his charges. yeah, Jamie is really busy, but I know he keeps rebuilt 833s on hand. I've talked to him several times at The Mopar Nats, where I've done my dealing at. Great guy and very knowledgeable about his product. I do believe that the back up is on the OD Hemi units, one reason being is if it isn't right, he won't sell it.

Back