• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Overdrive Grinding/whining noise? Normal?

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
alum case trans in general are weak--had a od trans out of a aspen -never made a noise!-BUT I DROVE IT LIKE A P*SSY I had a chevy munice 4 sp and they are weak-broke 4-5 of them-put a super t ten in and it was tough-my friend bought it from me (the nova)and he is still beating on it--auto trans are the same--the 833 4sp is a bear it comes( 23 spline 318 340-383)( 18 spline 440 440-6 426)put bigger tires on it and put back the factory stuff gv stuff is good too AL

DirtyBird

Reaction score
I've got the 18 spline....Now I am just waiting to see how much Passon might charge for a rebuild or OD conversion. There is so much I need to do to this car, its a bit overwhelming...:
Convert drum in front to Disc
Rebuild drum in back
New front left and right floor pans need to be put in
Need new bushings, tie rods, etc.
Carpet
Seats redone
The list goes on.......should be fun though!

:)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
oh they are fun, and it doesn't all need done at once (wouldn't wanna run out of things to do would you?)

moparmonk

Reaction score
Great Post Gang!
When I had to shovel 2 feet of snow around my 74 Charger to install a newer 318, I put up the famous "Tri-Pod Engineering" pull device! It was great until I turned the engine over and it only turned about 1/2 turn till it came up on an ice chunk. It wasn't till spring that I heard the tic,tic,tic sound and found out the distributor drive gear running the oil pump broke off and it had no oil pressure. Sure miss those days...NOT! Keep us updated DirtyBird!

DirtyBird

Reaction score
I'm sure thats not possible, haha...I would have bought a show car if I wanted to go and check the paint for smudges...
Instead I just pull the beast out and roar down the street, adjust the rear view mirror with each bump in the road and remind the passenger not to rest their feet on the piping hot exhaust pipe seen through the hole in the floor :) Love my dirty bird...

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

Last edited:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That guy did you no favors. That trans is a mistake from hell. Very best money you couldve spent was for a super tune and fresh parts.

A much better option that might have done you some real good was a fuel injection swap. Also a good 2.5 inch exhaust with x pipe. Or swap to a lo po 383 will get you to 20 mpg. The hi po 383 wont get there.

Just some many better ideas to improve towards your goal. Passion is THE trans place for od stuff. Brewers is great with rebuilds, parts, and service.

Back