• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it Begins....(Updated pg.36)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Re: And so it Begins....

dobie said:
And just for the heck of it, my uncle's 'Bird and Harley.

5-1.jpg

quote]

look'n good Steve. and you're not gettin off that easy with Unc's bird. Just the Facts Sir (and a few more pics)

dobie

Reaction score

I don't think I have too many pics of his car. It's his original one though that he had when he was 16 or 17. He bought it from his soon to be then brother in law. He loves to tell people that his sister got pregnant in that back seat. :lol: She eventually got so big that she couldn't drive it any more, so that's why they sold the car to him. He worked extra milk routes just to pay for it. I forget what he paid. Anyways, his dad sold it out underneath him one day. He came home and no car anymore. Fast forward 20+ some years later, and he finds it tucked away in a garage. He tried to buy it for a number of years before that guy finally sold it to him. He finally got it back about 5 years ago. Anyways, original 383 4 speed car, JJ1 paint, black interior. The original engine was gone way back when he originally had it. It's pretty much all there though, and most of the add ons are period correct for the car, such as an old Sun Pro tach and 8 track player. Oh. you can't really tell from the picture, but his car has 1969 RR door decals on it. According to him and his bro-in-law, this car has always had them. The bro-in-law bought it as a 2 year old car IIRC, and swears it came from the factory that way. Who knows though. :huh:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

dobie said:
I don't think I have too many pics of his car. quote]

well.....better take care of that ASAP........ :red2:
great story, glad he got it back. maybe we can get togehter and I can check it out sometime.

meepbeep69

Reaction score

Nice progress keep up the good work.

I saw on your post some earlier pictures with some clips. Just wondering what their purpose was? I do not have them. :huh: And the car is headed to the trim shop this week. Doh!

Here is your picture with them circled.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

those clips hold down the from of the package tray. my yellow car is the first one I've owned that's had them.

meepbeep69

Reaction score

Is it just a pc of bent metal that would work? If the other cars you had did not have them was it missed?

Don't want a windows down 60 MPH then the back window goes dark moment. :huh:

Coulda, woulda shoulda moment. Usually hate to say Know what I mean but know what I mean?

I will have enough on my mind to stop with the drum brakes.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

that's pretty much all they are, just a piece of bent metal.and you can't see them with the seat in place. some of the cars had aftermarket speakers, with the grills on top of the package tray, so those werre helping to hold the tray down.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

dobie said:
I don't think I have too many pics of his car. It's his original one though that he had when he was 16 or 17. He bought it from his soon to be then brother in law. He loves to tell people that his sister got pregnant in that back seat. :lol: She eventually got so big that she couldn't drive it any more, so that's why they sold the car to him. He worked extra milk routes just to pay for it. I forget what he paid. Anyways, his dad sold it out underneath him one day. He came home and no car anymore. Fast forward 20+ some years later, and he finds it tucked away in a garage. He tried to buy it for a number of years before that guy finally sold it to him. He finally got it back about 5 years ago. Anyways, original 383 4 speed car, JJ1 paint, black interior. The original engine was gone way back when he originally had it. It's pretty much all there though, and most of the add ons are period correct for the car, such as an old Sun Pro tach and 8 track player. Oh. you can't really tell from the picture, but his car has 1969 RR door decals on it. According to him and his bro-in-law, this car has always had them. The bro-in-law bought it as a 2 year old car IIRC, and swears it came from the factory that way. Who knows though. :huh:

Cool story. Nice looking old bird. Remember when they all over the place looking like that? Not any more...

:thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score

Yeah, he's happy to have it back. He hasn't touched it in the 5 years or so, but he's happy knowing it's back in the family.

dobie

Reaction score

Haven't done much really. No new metal or anything yet. The frame rails were cleaned up and covered in POR-15. The underneath of the package tray and that whole area was too. I must of missed taking photos before the package tray was coated as I don't have any. Anyways, here's a few new pictures.

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

dobie

Reaction score

A few more.

5-2.jpg

8-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

That's all for now. Once the quarters come off, I'll finish coating everything when I can reach it. On Saturday the back glass will be cut out, and I hope to finish up a few loose ends, such as the front brakes and steering column.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

Dobie....its amazing what a little black paint will do....she looks brand new......shes coming out great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score

Thanks guys. Very slow indeed, but at least there's some progress.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

dobie said:
Thanks guys. Very slow indeed, but at least there's some progress.

You know the old adage: Rome wasn't built in a day... :thumbsup:

Back