• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it Begins....(Updated pg.36)

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks to my Uncle retiring last month, work has now started on the complete re-birth of my 'Bird. The pace is slow, and there hasn't been much progress. It'll halt here after Wednesday as my uncle is leaving for Ireland for the rest of the month. But, at least it's out of my garage now. I'll update this thread as things progress, but again things will be slow.

1-1.jpg

Trunk floor:

6.jpg
9.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Re: And so it Begins....

If these pics are too big, let me know. Right now they're 800x600 I think.

dobie

Reaction score

More.

IMG_36641.jpg
IMG_36681.jpg

Steering wheel off.
IMG_36671.jpg

That's all for now. Maybe today or tomorrow I'll have more. This is where we're at right now.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

That's not so slow. Isn't rust fun, just keep cutting back there is good metal somewhere :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Steve told me that he had started this when I saw him on Friday @ Carlisle. So I asked "And where is the thread on this project to keep your RR Brothers updated...???" :toetap:

Looks like my little guilt ploy worked... :D

Nice work, Steve. Keep us in the loop! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score

I hate rust...
Looks good - you're making progress. There's a lot to do there so keep at it steadily and don't let it overwhelm you. It will be gorgeous when done. :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score

It must feel good to be able to get started on the rebuild. Are you starting with the worst of it, or are you saving that for later?

dobie

Reaction score

Thanks guys. Yeah, it does feel good to finally start. I hope we're on the worst now, although I'm afraid to find the rust once we pull the back glass.

The trunk stuff is worse than we thought. The wheel well housings are gone on the bottom, and the entire back section of the trunk about fell out once we started cutting. This will require a lot of extra fabrication. Today we made a patch for the right wheel well, and the left is almost done. Tomorrow I'll grind down the spot welds on the frame and prep everything for a nice coating of POR-15. We had hoped to have the trunk floor in by Wednesday, but that will now have to wait until August.

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score

Awesome stuff, I loathe yet love panel work at the same time, it's such a sense of achievement once it's done but while you're doing it it truly sucks ass. 68's are super cool best wheel hubcap combo on any car ever made :cents:

moparchris

Reaction score

Nice work Dobie, it looks like you guys are work at a good pace keep it up and you'll be rubbin' elbows the Grey Poupon crowd in no time!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

so I guess you won't have your car at Heath this year.......
looks like you're making pretty good progress. Hope your Uncle doesn't go to the same Pub =my Mother in Law did when she went to Ireland. Fell off her chair,broke her hip, and my Brother in Law had to fly over and bring her back.
Hey while you've got your Uncle all warmed up to do road runner sheetmetal, I'll drop mine off when yours is done....nothing major (i Hope) just a couple skins..... :D

dobie

Reaction score

Yeah, it doesn't look like it. I had hoped for it to be at least back in primer by the Nats so I could drive it, but that won't be happening this year. As typical, once we started tearing into it, a ton of other issues started to surface. I go back to work today after 2 weeks off, so I won't be around much to work either. Plus, with him leaving for about 3 weeks, she'll be sitting for awhile now. I was hoping to get a lot more done this past week, but, that's how it goes.

:cheers:

V269

Reaction score

You have lot's of time so don't rush it and you will do a better job of it. I know it's hard to think this way but it took me 2 1/2 years to do mine and trust me it will look great when done. :beep: :thumbsup:

dobie

Reaction score

I'm thinking this girl will be several years in the making too. Nothing else really done either yesterday or today. Well, I did get another master cylinder on today, so I guess that's something.

Nothing more until August though. Actually, it might be nice to take a few weeks off after a solid 5 days of working on it.

Mel69rrvert

Reaction score

Looking good! Just work on it when you are in the mood. If you start pushing too much, it turns into a job and that's when a lot of people get tired of it and sell the "project"

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

you boys better stear clear of Stark County....he's gotta fund this project somehow...... :lock: :acme:
yeah it;s hard to have the car down, especially in the summer. That's another reason I'm in no major rush to start on mine. I'm sure there will be surprises under the yellow. Just take your time, and do it right the first time. Someone once said "It's all worth it on the First ride"....not sure who said that..... :huh:
what all are you going to do to the 'ol girl Steve?

Back