• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any guesstimate on how many '69 Runners are left?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid I have been wondering how many 1969 RR's are left out there in running or non-running but restorable condition (ie, not junkyard / backyard ditch trash). There's no way for anyone to really know, but surely there are ways of estimating by the years it has been, avg # of cars that go to the crusher/junkyard, etc to guess how many of a certain car are left.

This seems easier for cars and models that are very limited production like Superbirds or Daytonas where you can pretty much count the "public" ones that appear periodically at shows and then give an educated guess at how many are hidden away in garages and barns.

So anyone have an idea on how many of our '69s (non-junked) are still out there? :huh:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i know for a fact there is one less. :nopity: :nopity:
this one gave its life so mine could live again.
Scan0004.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I know of one in my town that was bought new buy someone while still in high school. It's been sitting by the side of his house for as long as I can remember. I don't know what he plans on doing with it, but it does need a full resto.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I know of one in my town that was bought new buy someone while still in high school. It's been sitting by the side of his house for as long as I can remember. I don't know what he plans on doing with it, but it does need a full resto.

pictures man!!!!!

and I know of one hardtop that isn't with us anymore......
Mac I'd love to find one that that to rebuild my spares stash.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Its really hard to say how many are left. During the seventies, these cars could be bought for next to nothing and they just got trashed.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69bbeep said:
would Galen Govier (spelling?) have any idea of how many are left?

He might know.... but it will most likely cost you..... and take a year to get an answer!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Its really doubtful anyone would know. You would have to do searches of all the 50 states DMV for VINs starting "RM" for 69 cars, then that would not include cars in other countries or cars not registered.

The production figures I've seen are about 79,000 1969 Roadrunners were built. So if you said 10% were left, that would be 7900 cars. I'd bet that would be about right.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69bbeep said:
road cuda sounds like you have had some experience with Galen?

Yeah, as well as hearing stories from other people. When I first got my car he had a column in MCG where he would list "found" build sheets, or you could inquire with him to see if he had one for your car. So, about 6 months after I got my car, and not finding any build sheets for it, I sent him the info to to see if he had one for my car. About a month later I get an envelope with a list of all his services and their prices, but no mention about the build sheet. So I kept an eye on the mail looking for a reply, and after a few months with no letter I actually forgot about it. Then, about a year and a half later, I finally get a letter from him saying that he didn't have the sheet. I've heard stories about how long he takes to answer questions, how much he may charge for info, and, it is said, if it isn't a high profile car, he won't even look at it. So from personal experience, it does take a while to get an answer. As for the rest of it, I guess it's a, do you beleive what others say about him.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear back fom him if he has the build sheet for Free Bird....suppose I should tell him to forget it?

mjoyner408

Reaction score
i saw a link to a chrysler historicl site that has some build sheets on file. has anyone ever had any experiance with them? i have found a few pieces of my build sheet but time and the souther heat and humitity have not been kind. i would like to get a copy of mine if there is some way.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
You'll never know or take a guess even, there are so many collector cars stashed away and off the RADAR screen, stories always come out every year about unique car finds that resurface. One could factor from the A12 registery a percentage of cars left (if they even know) and use that same percentage as a wild guess.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mjoyner408 said:
i saw a link to a chrysler historicl site that has some build sheets on file. has anyone ever had any experiance with them?

I've always heard that Chrysler doesn't have any info for cars after '67 dur to a fire.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I recently registered mine with Galen and it was the 71st 2drht as far as the Hemi Vins go.There were 421 built, Nobody knows what condition all these cars are in or whats in them, just Vin #s. That might give you an idea :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
mjoyner408 said:
i saw a link to a chrysler historicl site that has some build sheets on file. has anyone ever had any experiance with them?

I've always heard that Chrysler doesn't have any info for cars after '67 dur to a fire.

Bingo! Give that man a cigar! Dave, you're spot-on with that one.

As for the A12 Registry idea - there's 300+ cars (Birds & Bees) on the registry. Current accepted total production numbers for A12s is 3,319 (1,412 RR by the way) so the numbers are again tracking at about 10% as suggested by Big.

Ray

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I recently registered mine with Galen and it was the 71st 2drht as far as the Hemi Vins go.There were 421 built, Nobody knows what condition all these cars are in or whats in them, just Vin #s. That might give you an idea :cheers:

How long did it take to get a response? Just want to see if your car being a Hemi car sped things up as has been suggested...
My suspicion is that you did receive preferential treatment but not because of the Hemi; it merited special attention because it is B5 BLUE... :lmao:

Basketcase is going to start throwing rocks at us again... :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
My suspicion is that you did receive preferential treatment but not because of the Hemi; it merited special attention because it is B5 BLUE... :lmao:

Basketcase is going to start throwing rocks at us again... :D[/quote]

:toetap: :toetap: :toetap: :D

actually if mine wasn't origanlly F8, it'd be B5. A buddy has a ;69 Charger that's B5, and my Uncle (one whose 300 was in my garage,nuther F8 fan) painted his Harley B5.

Back