• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok guys, how many different styles of brake shoes and drums where there. Mine are 11 x 2.5 in the rear and 11 x 3 in the front with no automatic adjusters.... :huh: according to the service manual they are listed as police or heavy duty. Just wanted your input, seems odd to not have the auto adjusters......... :D

droptop

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Ok guys, how many different styles of brake shoes and drums where there. Mine are 11 x 2.5 in the rear and 11 x 3 in the front with no automatic adjusters.... :huh: according to the service manual they are listed as police or heavy duty. Just wanted your input, seems odd to not have the auto adjusters......... :D

I would say at the first brake job, they wound up in the trash can. :lol: It should have them. Manual drums / power drums / manual disc / power disc were the 4 brake options that were available.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
So it is correct :huh:

Yep.

You can change to automatic adjusters if you like. Its not a big deal. You may not be able to find the right springs for the manual adjusters anyway. Yes, they are different then the auto adjuster springs.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
real men have manual adjuster and pussies have automatic adjusters......wow i think i am going to start a new post..... :pot: :pot: :pot:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
real men have manual adjuster and pussies have automatic adjusters......wow i think i am going to start a new post..... :pot: :pot: :pot:
:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Police and fast cars :lol: or heavy duty had manual adjusters so as not to have to much drag added at the wheels with self adjusters :cheers:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
My car has the 11x3 and 11x2.5

manual adjusters

115 bucks for a fing brake drum?????? :soap: :chuck: Can't even get the rear drums? :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
all my B Bodies have had manual brakes. $115 for a brake drum sucks.when I worked at the tractor trailer dealership, we sold brake drums for the big trucks for only $60. :crazy:

mcmopar

Reaction score
When I went to get new rear drums for mine (PDB up front w/10x2.5 on the back) the guy at Autozone couldn't find brake drums for the car. So I told him to look for rear drums for a '69 Satellite w/the 318 engine. Sure enough he had those! :huh: Why they weren't cross referenced to the '69 road runner w/Bendix power brakes is anyone's guess. :loco:

Jim S.

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
My car has the 11x3 and 11x2.5

manual adjusters

115 bucks for a fing brake drum?????? :soap: :chuck: Can't even get the rear drums? :brickwall:
Same here. Yeah, lets start the "man - pussy" thing again.........

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to be a parts guy years ago and I'm pretty sure 1970 is the first year of automatic adjusters and can be retro fitted on a 69 car if desired. they work so when you are in reverse and hit they brake they move out one click, manual adjusters are fine, they make a wedgie thing that you can insert thru the backing plate and move they adjuster one side is up one side is down (i think) I used to know but I do have the info. written down in a mini notebook I keep in the GTX.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
When I went to get new rear drums for mine (PDB up front w/10x2.5 on the back) the guy at Autozone couldn't find brake drums for the car. So I told him to look for rear drums for a '69 Satellite w/the 318 engine. Sure enough he had those! :huh: Why they weren't cross referenced to the '69 road runner w/Bendix power brakes is anyone's guess. :loco:
When I ordered the rear hose, they didn't show anything for the road runner but they did for the Satellite, Belvedere and GTX..... :huh:

Back