• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

broke in new cam today

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well really it was yesterday. i finally said to hell with it and installed my mr. sixpack cam. this is replacing the lunati cam. well after a few long talks with mr sixpack, i finally got all the other components to make the install go smoothly. well the good is an extremely smooth idle and 20 inches of vacuum. no more eye burning fumes and the carbs respond to all adjustments. the only thing that is making me second guess is that now the car seems a bit more docile. now i guess i will need to do some more tuning with timing and fuel, but that seems to be the name of the game.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
the only thing that is making me second guess is that now the car seems a bit more docile. now i guess i will need to do some more tuning with timing and fuel, but that seems to be the name of the game.

do not associate smoother idle characteristics and general "docility' with reduced performance...not a good baseline... hopefully you have some "barometer" from the other set-up; time slip, g-tech Pro read-out, whatever... Seat of the pants is never a good indicator except in the cases of EXTREME changes...your auditory senses and other not so reliable sources will give you erroneous readings unless you're an extremely seasoned veteran... Simple translation: loss of rumpity-rump at idle don't make it so, Ethel...

:jester:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That is suppose to be a very good cam. I would seriously consider it if I needed a new cam. I think you will find the power is great, otherwise he wouldn't run that cam in his own stuff.

moparchris

Reaction score
I would like to see back to back dyno tests. I am considering a six pack cam from bob. My instincts tell me it wont be enough for my speed addiction. I may go with a custom grind of my own based on my previous experiences.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I would like to see back to back dyno tests. I am considering a six pack cam from bob. My instincts tell me it wont be enough for my speed addiction. I may go with a custom grind of my own based on my previous experiences.

For which car? I'll remind you of the very thing that prevents me from going the 600" stroker route with my A12 and what I have to occaisonally remind myself of as I amass parts and plan for the completion of my car; if my objective was to build a nasty-a$$ 600+" stroker RR with max flow Indy heads, a Lenco, a back-halved chassis, etc. - then I didn't need to start out with one of the few remaining unmodified A12's from the original 1,412 (1,907 Super Bees if that is what you're talking about...) A12 Road Runners that Ma MoPar started out with... A plain jane 383 car or even a 2-door Satellite or Belvedere would be astonomically cheaper and philosophically light years ahead for that kind of build...

As for Mac's original post and his specific situation, I think you can offer considerably more intuitive perspective based on your previous exploits and knowledge of how all of the pieces fit together... Step back up to the plate... :D

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i agree ray. there is another round of getting the other parts to all work together again. i have changed springs in the out boards as recommended by mr sixpack and now i need to recurve the dizzy. will have to check the basics and see what happens. i guess what i am not "feeling" from the first cam is the hurky jerky reaction. everything is just alot smoother. the big deal was lowering my compression to be able to get the timing all in with out the nasty ping, knock, ping.

<------she still makes me smile

moparstuart

Reaction score
mac said:
well really it was yesterday. i finally said to hell with it and installed my mr. sixpack cam. this is replacing the lunati cam. well after a few long talks with mr sixpack, i finally got all the other components to make the install go smoothly. well the good is an extremely smooth idle and 20 inches of vacuum. no more eye burning fumes and the carbs respond to all adjustments. the only thing that is making me second guess is that now the car seems a bit more docile. now i guess i will need to do some more tuning with timing and fuel, but that seems to be the name of the game.
what did the cam cost you and how do i get ahold of this guy , i really think i need to do this for the bird ibles for vaccuum and for the fuell fumes and idel

mac

What ?
Reaction score
Bob at 248-477-776 or

mr6pk@hotmail.com

the cam cost me $225 but i have been hanging on to it for about 3 years now. it is just the cam no lifters. it is made by engle cams, but don't call them to try and order, this is a mr sixpack design and he holds the rights to it. here is a copy of the install instructions that came with my cam. it spells out that for my gear ratio it should be 115 and i nailed it the first try. :banana:
scan0001-3.jpg

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well i recurved the dizzy and adjusted all carbs and went for a ride and all i can say is :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
mac said:
well i recurved the dizzy and adjusted all carbs and went for a ride and all i can say is :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So, I take it, it's better? :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:

For which car? I'll remind you of the very thing that prevents me from going the 600" stroker route with my A12 and what I have to occaisonally remind myself of as I amass parts and plan for the completion of my car; if my objective was to build a nasty-a$$ 600+" stroker RR with max flow Indy heads, a Lenco, a back-halved chassis, etc. - then I didn't need to start out with one of the few remaining unmodified A12's from the original 1,412 (1,907 Super Bees if that is what you're talking about...) A12 Road Runners that Ma MoPar started out with... A plain jane 383 car or even a 2-door Satellite or Belvedere would be astonomically cheaper and philosophically light years ahead for that kind of build...

As for Mac's original post and his specific situation, I think you can offer considerably more intuitive perspective based on your previous exploits and knowledge of how all of the pieces fit together... Step back up to the plate... :D

I agree with you 100% Ray. I wasn't knocking anyone, I am more interested in where this cam shines as far as powerband compared to another cam. In the past I have played with stock eliminator grinds for my 360 which at first didn't work at all. Once I figured out some of the other "tricks" then the car ran like it was on fire. I have been intrigued with cars with manifolds instead of headers. This is where I would like to learn more about the F.A.S.T. guys and what they run. It took a lot of work for me to buy "last years" cam from a prominent Stock racer who shall remain nameless. I then played around with cam timing and lobe seperations until I found what I needed. The most valuable that info that we found was that lobe seperation and the intake event really influenced the characteristics of the motor. The tighter the LSA (which the best I found for my combo was 99 degrees) went the more narrow the power band and the higher the peak horsepower and torque. So depending on the car and how it can capitalize on a big power surge then a tighter LSA will be best. The higher the LSA the motor melows out and the power band gets broader and is better for a street car with little traction. This is all irrelevant in this situation since we are talking about big blocks and exhaust manifolds.

I cant decide what to put in the Bee. I really have the urge to put a 496 kit in it and lay some rubber. After driving it though, I really think I want to put it back together stock and see if I can get it to run in the elevens. I was just curious to see what the differences are in camshafts are and maybe I can learn something new.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
its alittle better.....its runs better.....your happy.....thats the main thing...cool :thumbsup:

exactly right. with everything on the car being manual (real mans car), having the car like this makes it just more fun to cruise with.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
mac said:
uhh............a little :jester:
thanks mac i will con tact him so did you just buy your lifters from mopar them ?????

He also sells the cam & lifters as a package for $335.00. That was the price in March of last year when I bought mine anyway...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I agree with you 100% Ray. I wasn't knocking anyone.
Never for a moment did I think you were knocking anyone. I just wanted you to add your :cents: about what Mac is doing and reinforce the notion that actual performance isn't measured by the sound through the exhausts...

moparchris said:
I cant decide what to put in the Bee. I really have the urge to put a 496 kit in it and lay some rubber. After driving it though, I really think I want to put it back together stock and see if I can get it to run in the elevens. I was just curious to see what the differences are in camshafts are and maybe I can learn something new.
You don't have to have 500" to get an A12 into the 11's. Just check out the results from last year's Pure Stock Drags - A12s running right around 12 flat while still conforming to the Pure Stock requirements. Add a few F.A.S.T. tricks (or inches) and you're there... :D

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
mac said:
uhh............a little :jester:
thanks mac i will con tact him so did you just buy your lifters from mopar them ?????

He also sells the cam & lifters as a package for $335.00. That was the price in March of last year when I bought mine anyway...
thanks that what i will get

Back