• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

broke in new cam today

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
mac said:
uhh............a little :jester:
thanks mac i will con tact him so did you just buy your lifters from mopar them ?????

He also sells the cam & lifters as a package for $335.00. That was the price in March of last year when I bought mine anyway...
320.00 now for cam and lifter , but 15 shipping so 335.00 shipped

I just ordered mine ,

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:
thanks mac i will con tact him so did you just buy your lifters from mopar them ?????

He also sells the cam & lifters as a package for $335.00. That was the price in March of last year when I bought mine anyway...
320.00 now for cam and lifter , but 15 shipping so 335.00 shipped

I just ordered mine ,

It's the same then - I just looked at an old e-mail to Bob asking for the total when I posted that for you this morning...

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Um Ray, what's up with the "plain jane 383 car" statement? :toetap:

I think it must be Grey Poupon on your shirt......Not French's.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MAC.....Did you run light tension valve springs when you broke in the cam?...what kind of break in lube did you use?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
MAC.....Did you run light tension valve springs when you broke in the cam?...what kind of break in lube did you use?

ran the valves right out of the box. i did add a zinc additive from napa and plenty of the assembly lube on everything. when things were getting buttoned up i was pouring oil over the top of everything and before i put the dizzy in i ran a primming tool to get oil to the top. primed the carbs and got it running at just below 2000 rpms for 20 minutes. that is according to the directions with the cam.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i ran solid composite schubeck lifters.....didnt have to break in cam because of ceramic on the bottom of the lifter......i heard horror stories by guys not breaking in properly ....eating up cams.....but if they said to do it that way then it should be good to go

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I had been reading about these cams on other sites and they sounded good, seems it worked out good :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:

There's nothing wrong with a "Plain Jane 383 Car". I love 'em and have had three of them. Would love to have all three of them back right now. But there were about 90,000 (I'm rounding off here) more of them made than their bigger inch brothers so they're not rare by any stretch of the imagination. Therefore, if I were to back-halve (cut up) a RR then a 383 car would be my first choice as opposed to a Hemi-car or an A12. Simple numbers - not disrespect. If it came across that way then hopefully you now know otherwise - 'cause I'm not the Grey Poupon guy...

May I have my French's mustard back now? :lol:

:jester:
ACME

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
roadrunnerh said:

There's nothing wrong with a "Plain Jane 383 Car". I love 'em and have had three of them. Would love to have all three of them back right now. But there were about 90,000 (I'm rounding off here) more of them made than their bigger inch brothers so they're not rare by any stretch of the imagination. Therefore, if I were to back-halve (cut up) a RR then a 383 car would be my first choice as opposed to a Hemi-car or an A12. Simple numbers - not disrespect. If it came across that way then hopefully you now know otherwise - 'cause I'm not the Grey Poupon guy...

ACME
i was getting the feeling you are the grey poupon guy

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
roadrunnerh said:

ACME

Gotta a case on the chiller right now. Be a good boy, play nice and you can have all the Frenches you can spill. :acme:
By the way what happened to the twin turbo madness for Bambi? You're not going to tell me that my Dart 270 is plain jane. Are you? :lmao:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Ray, no offense taken, mainly busting balls.

But, "rare" is relative. A clean, unmolested original 383 car is still rare in my book.
On any model, originality comes into play for me. A real hemi car that was restored with a non original motor is a few rungs lower on the value and rarity meter than an original.

Yes, a '69 383 car is not nearly as rare as an original A12, BUT, I would argue that if the 383 is original and the 440-6 is not, the 383 car is more rare since it still maintains it's factory motor.

Ironically, if you back-halved an original 383 Road Runner and ditched it's original drive train, and installed a highly modified 440, I think you may fetch less when you tried to sell it vs. restoring it as origninal. :cents:

Grey Poupon? The jury is still out...... :acme:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
BUT, I would argue that if the 383 is original and the 440-6 is not, the 383 car is more rare since it still maintains it's factory motor.
The dollars that they fetch prove otherwise. Not trying to establish a caste system here; it just is what it is...you have a 383 car so you want it to be the way that you described...I get it....But I could care less because I like them all...but at the other end of the spectrum I do understand the financial end of it...if for no other reason than I had to "ante up" to join the A12 club...wasn't fortunate enough to join up in nineteen-seventy-whatever before they had any value... Not a gripe against those that did...just a simple fact...as to their relative worth just check Hemmings or MCG or e-bag or craigslist or whatever... I don't write the rules; I just play by them...

roadrunnerh said:
Grey Poupon? The jury is still out...... :acme:
I have five A-Bodies...and two A-Body parts cars in my stable...I couldn't be less "Grey Poupon" if I tried... :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
What are my cars worth? Priceless or worthless depending how you look at them. There are two ways to look at it. One is, the money that has been infused into our hobby has created great reproduction parts and lots of movement of cars that were never going to be sold. The other hand is every wanker wearing wing tips (thats how I gauged how much of a car guy you are, the shoes) has to comment on the value of your car. I swear if some asshat comes up to ask me whats my car worth I am going to punch him in the duodednum and pull off his wing tips and shove them up his ass. It bums me out that some cars have become out of reach for the average guy. Harry's 383 Runner is a rare sight no matter how you look at it, however its not the creme de la creme. Its the 383 cars that have created the legend of the almighty Roadrunner and without them the Roadrunner would be the rare unicorn. This makes the 383 cars priceless and whats better to boot is the fact that a true Mopar head can afford one on a blue collar budget. Rant over.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
I guess my main point is - I personally wouldn't hack up a 68-70 Road Runner unless the car was a little rough and the drive train was long gone. But that's just me. Neither am I into cars for their $ value, and I know that isn't the case for you either Ray. It doesn't matter what my car would be worth, I would never sell it.
Honestly Ray, no beef with you.

Ok, you've proved it, French's it is..... :jester:

On a side note - where has Dave been on this mustard brand issue. I expected him to pile-on....
That knee must be really bothering him..... :beep:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
[/quote]
I don't write the rules; I just play by them...

:jester:[/quote]
Since when :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Believe you me - if I could afford a 6 BBL car or a HEMI bird I'd grab one in a minute but the simple fact is they demand the premium prices by the simple "supply and demand" model. Fewer were made (and fewer survive today) which makes them much more rare - and therefore more valuable to the collector than the typical 383 powered model. Each has its price point and each is rare in it's own right - it's just that some are more rare than others.
Take mine for instance. It has quite a nice option list as noted below (+ indicates equipment my car came with):
According To Galen Govier Production figures for the Roadrunner hardtop are as follows;
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments to USA 46,868
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/E63 (383 4-bbl 335 hp V8) 99.1% 46,446 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/S77 (Power Steering) 50.6% 23,715 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/E63 & D21
(383 4-bbl 335 hp & 4-speed) 45.5% 21,325 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/G33
(LH Remote Outside Mirror) 34.3% 16,076
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/C55 (Bucket Seats) 31.5% 14,763 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/H51 (Air Conditioning) 10.8% 5,062 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/A36
(Performance Axle Package) 9.8% 4,593 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/E63, D21 & A36
(383, 4-speed & Performance Axle Package) 6.2% 2,906 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/B41 & B51
(Power Disc Brakes) 5.1% 2,390 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/H31 (Rear Defogger) 3.3% 1,547 +
1969 Roadrunner hardtop shipments w/R21 (AM/FM Radio) 2.4% 1,125 +
Note: Roadrunners with a/c were equipped with the 330hp 383 4 bbl engine - not the 335hp engine. So my car does not technically qualify as a 335hp and 4-speed combo but few people know that.

Now, as a 383 road runner my car is very rare due to the options (the Perf. Axle Package also included 3.55 Sure Grip rear and max. cooling option used on the Hemi cars. My car was also ordered with the Hemi suspension) but it will never be worth what a 440 6BBL or Hemi car in comparable condition is worth because it is not as desireable. It's rare - but not as desireable as it's big inch brethren. Desireability is what makes certain cars more expensive than others of the same breed when there were more than just a few manufactured.

Now, would I heavily modify a real 383 road runner? Maybe, maybe not. This car of mine would make a great 6 BBL or Hemi clone (except for the a/c) since it has all the underpinnings and if I had the $$$ it would be sporting such a powerplant because it would be simple to revert back to stock. Would I cut it up and make a pro street car out of it? Not me, but I would understand if someone chose to do so with their car, especially if it was a stripper like my first one.

I guess my take is this - yes, they are all "rare" - it's just that some are more "rare" than others and therefore command a higher price if you desire one.

Back