• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carry piece

Smokngun

Reaction score
Get a quality holster first. Carrying in a pocket can be very dangerous. Not only can the gun simply fall out if you have to run or are even just knocked down. But I think of all the things I bump into during the day that could snag a trigger through the material of a pocket. A proper holster that covers and protects the trigger is imperative. Then save up for the Trijicon or Meprolight sights. Don't mess around with stickers that glow in the dark, they will not work when you need them. $12 bucks is 1/10 of the way there for a good set of night sights.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Get a quality holster first. Carrying in a pocket can be very dangerous. Not only can the gun simply fall out if you have to run or are even just knocked down. But I think of all the things I bump into during the day that could snag a trigger through the material of a pocket. A proper holster that covers and protects the trigger is imperative. Then save up for the Trijicon or Meprolight sights. Don't mess around with stickers that glow in the dark, they will not work when you need them. $12 bucks is 1/10 of the way there for a good set of night sights.

Agreed, pocket carry is definitely not the way to go. I will be looking into an inside the waistband holster for the Shield 40 very soon. Fortunately the Shield and my 380 are striker fired semi-auto's so there is no trigger to worry about. I like the Trigicon and Meprolight sights and have been looking into TruGlo and Ameriglo as well for my Shield 40 and Ruger SR40. I think night sights are imperative as the sidearms are intended mostly for home defence. Plus they give you a good sight picture in the daytime as well if the need comes to that.

Last edited:

69rrnut

Reaction score
Carry gun

ALL GUNS IN THIS THREAD ARE FINE ,,,,I JUST LIKE COLTS OR KIMBERS,,,COLT .380 STAINLESS MUSTANG OR GVT MODEL??? KIMBER SMALL FRAME 9mm FITS IN POCKET,, WITH LASER GRIPS EVEN BETTER,,,GREAT RESALE VALUE COLT/KIMBER,,COLT DEFENDER 45,OR KIMBER PRO CARRY II FOR THOSE WHO PREFER A LARGER FRAME.......................:beep::beep::beep:

mopar1969

Reaction score
I'm with you there. I love my Ruger SR40 but it is too big to carry. The .380 is nice and I will carry it when I decide the time is right. Still need to do some homework on FL carry law. My latest Guns And Ammo mag. had an article on the Beretta .380. They like it a lot - good sights and very accurate. $399 price tag isn't all that bad, either. It would certainly be a step up from what I have now.

I switched to my Ruger SR9C, love that gun it is my current favorite

The Springfield XDs has caught my eye. I've seen it promoted in .45 ACP, but I think it's available in 9mm as well.a friend of mine has a full size XD and loves it. Might be worth checking out.

I have a Springfield XD40 great gun, love it.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Lately I have been having a lot of fun with 22's of all things. Got my wife a Taurus PT-22. Nice little gun. Still have to get to the range with it. If it likes them we will load it up with Aguila Interceptors. 1470 fps with a 40 gr solid or hollow point. A little more powerful than the CCI Velocitors. Can also throw some Aguila Super Maximum Hyper Velocity rounds it it. 32 gr solid at 1700 fps. Or CCI Stingers; 32 grain hollow point at 1640 fps. The Super Max is the fastest 22LR out there and it hits very hard for a small round. I am actually collecting inventory and investigating the possibility of opening a small ammo biz specializing in 22 caliber ammo. Taking it slow but so far it looks promising.

mopar1969

Reaction score
remember 25 yards is 75 feet he's not an immanent threat after the first shot he's runnin.

Exactly, unless they are pointing one at you they are not a threat at that distance.

The LCP's are basically rib-stickers anyway, at least for me. I'm not accurate very far with those.

mopar1969

Reaction score
I'm with you there. I love my Ruger SR40 but it is too big to carry. The .380 is nice and I will carry it when I decide the time is right. Still need to do some homework on FL carry law. My latest Guns And Ammo mag. had an article on the Beretta .380. They like it a lot - good sights and very accurate. $399 price tag isn't all that bad, either. It would certainly be a step up from what I have now.

Agreed, pocket carry is definitely not the way to go. I will be looking into an inside the waistband holster for the Shield 40 very soon. Fortunately the Shield and my 380 are striker fired semi-auto's so there is no trigger to worry about. I like the Trigicon and Meprolight sights and have been looking into TruGlo and Ameriglo as well for my Shield 40 and Ruger SR40. I think night sights are imperative as the sidearms are intended mostly for home defence. Plus they give you a good sight picture in the daytime as well if the need comes to that.

If you do pocket carry here is a good list of guidelines

http://www.usacarry.com/top-7-rules-pocket-carry/

snook

Reaction score
Tempest I have a question. If a thin/skinny person is 25 yards away and turned to the side, what is considered center of mass?

That would be the ear.

Yeah, I know old thread but I just got here.

Chuck

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score
Exactly, unless they are pointing one at you they are not a threat at that distance.

The LCP's are basically rib-stickers anyway, at least for me. I'm not accurate very far with those.

My LC9 is not very accurate because of the sh**y trigger. I wanna try the Galloway kit,supposed to be a big improvement.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
We had a trucker in Bloomsbury nj come in are state and park his truck at a truck stop and he walked up the st 300 yards and started trying door handles--he found one open and entered the home and raped and killed the woman and chopped her to pieces, her father is a very very rich--he killed three woman that way--my buddy is a state trooper and told me he never saw something so bad done to a person--keep you guns loaded, ready and safe--it my cost you your life! just remember! keep shooting till the threat in gone! and shoot to kill!you are bettering the world!, 16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpgone less SUMBAG!

16964_103884009636159_3729697_n.jpg

MMissile

Reaction score
I carry a Kel-tec P32 in my shorts, a Wilson ADP with jeans, and a HK USP40c in cooler weather.

CompSyn

Reaction score
What is it. Most deadly encounters occur at 0-to-15 feet? I carry an LCP in a Aholster kydex pocket holster. Wouldn't want to get in a gun fight with it, but having A gun is better than having NO gun. And since it's so easy to throw in my pocket and go, I'm more likely to keep it on me. Tried a a slightly larger CW9 IWB and it wasn't for me.

RAINMANYEH

Reaction score

I've got a Beretta .380 that I've had for 20+ years and love it. It's a good weight, very accurate, has never jammed or stove piped, and still looks new. The Beretta site just ran a special on the leather belt holsters and I picked one up for less than half what they usually charge.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread onto another related subject, but there are a lot of horror stories out there, and they are all true. Our Texas Mexico border is allowing the worst criminal elements into this country, Our troopers have been rotating down from their county posts to reinforce the border for over two years without the feds lifting a finger. They come home and tell me that they see murders in plain view on the Mexican side of the river while they watch. One case as openly to see a man dragged out of his car, and shot. Those same murders cross every night and creep along our highways back north to to each and every state. You better believe its worse out here than your media allows you to know. I'm glad y'all are all carrying. Im glad to see these posts.

Ranger

Reaction score
1911s are definitely cool...but it seems a little big for carry...JMHO...
A little late to the party. but that's no longer true. I've always been a 1911 fan. I just got myself a Colt Defender (3 1/4" barrel, 5 1/2" high, 6 3/4" long and only 1 1/2" wide). Very concealable (even under a T shirt with an IWB holster).

O7800XE_450w.png

73rr

Reaction score
Lately there are more '1911' types than you can shake a stick at, and most of them pretty nice pieces. I carry a .357 (in a Fobus holster) most of the time as I figure that if the noise doesn't rattle their brain then the flash will blind them before I have to make a second shot...

Back