• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carry piece

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about buying a new gun to carry. Right now, my go to is the Ruger LCP. I sometimes carry my 3913 9mm S&W or Mrs. Big John's magnesium Taurus .38 special revolver snubbie.

Of the three, the 3913 is my favorite gun... hands down. It's about 20 years old and shows that age in its weight... so it's not as nice to carry. But I still conceal it OK as long as I wear a long and loose (like an Hawaiian) shirt. The LCP is great too. It's tiny and slips in my pocket. It shoots decent for a small gun, but it is tiny. .380 isn't my first choice for defense though. Then there's the snubbie. I've carried that in an ankle holster and it's OK... but the bulk of the cylinder makes it harder to conceal on the waist. I do like my revolvers though.

The trouble is Mrs. Big John has taken a liking to the LCP. She's discovered it's easier to conceal and more practical. She wanted a Walther PPKs for a while, but I think it's a little heavy for carrying, kind of like the 3913. Funny thing about the PPK.... Her maiden name is Bond and her brother was named James.

So...... I'm torn. I could buy the PPK and that would make her really happy (good thing) but I think she would not like the weight. I could buy another LCP... Not a bad thing, but having two of the same guns seems not much fun and we're back to the .380 again. Or I could start looking at something else compact.

Any suggestions?

mcmopar

Reaction score
The Mrs and I went to a gun show here in Orlando this past weekend and looked around. She wants a revolver, too, because she can't rack the .380 she has. Funny thing is she is a fitness instructor but has no power to rack the auto's. Anyway, we looked at some nice, lightweight .38 cal. revolvers and she seemed to like the Ruger the best of the ones we looked at. I didn't look at the Taurus models but they were everywhere. We'll keep on looking. Maybe grab one around Christmas time. If anyone has any recommendations for a quality piece at an affordable price I'm all ears.

Big John

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with the Taurus. Good news is they have a great warranty.

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm with you there. I love my Ruger SR40 but it is too big to carry. The .380 is nice and I will carry it when I decide the time is right. Still need to do some homework on FL carry law. My latest Guns And Ammo mag. had an article on the Beretta .380. They like it a lot - good sights and very accurate. $399 price tag isn't all that bad, either. It would certainly be a step up from what I have now.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The Springfield XDs has caught my eye. I've seen it promoted in .45 ACP, but I think it's available in 9mm as well.a friend of mine has a full size XD and loves it. Might be worth checking out.

I like my Springfields but what they consider compact is pretty big. I like the looks of the Ruger 380 but get by with my Keltec, just a little industrial looking but shoots nice. John nothing wrong with two of the same caliber it makes ammo shopping easy. :yesnod: I have 3, 9mms

mcmopar

Reaction score
I like my Springfields but what they consider compact is pretty big. I like the looks of the Ruger 380 but get by with my Keltec, just a little industrial looking but shoots nice. John nothing wrong with two of the same caliber it makes ammo shopping easy. :yesnod: I have 3, 9mms

I was thinking the same thing. I've got 2 .22 cal pistols, 2 .380 cal auto's and 2 .40 cal Ruger SR40's. Now my wife wants a .38 Special to carry. Crap, now I'm going to have to buy some more ammo! :facepalm:

dobie

Reaction score
The S&W Shield is really about the best thing out there right now. I have the .40cal version, and at least 3 other guys at work have the 9mm. Im sure there's more of us that Im not aware of. The trigger, while not perfect, is much better than a stock M&P. The sights are fine for a defensive pistol, although 2 guys have switched out to the XS Big Dot Sights and love them. Reliability in a defensive pistol has to be the #1 priority. Currently, the Shield has about the best track record of any of the current subcompact or micro carry guns. I bought mine for $430 new, which seems to be the going price currently.

Last edited:

dobie

Reaction score
I love my LW Colt Commander. I carry it in the winter. For summer though I find the Shield easier to carry.

dobie

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks Jim. I bookmarked the page and will follow it closely. This is the first I've heard of it.

Thanks again!

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score

The XDS is actually pretty small Bob, check it out.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Looking at something like this for my wife. .38 +P 5 round cylinder, lightweight (12 oz.) by Charter Arms. S&W and Ruger are also strong candidates as well.

53711.jpg

BTW - what is the secret to posting a pic? I can't get this to make it visible withouut clicking on it.:brickwall:

53711.jpg

Big John

Reaction score
The pic is visible to me, so you musta done something right....

I tried a couple revolvers a while ago.... I may have to revisit them. I always liked wheel guns.

Back