• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Restoration

Collin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while but I have been busy. The road runner just received finally putty and sanding and will be coated with high build primer and wet sanded soon. I took out the dash which was very easy and dismantled the whole thing. Going to throw a fresh coat of paint on it and reassemble. [attachment=1:2j7v25ex]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356205744.408721.jpg[/attachment:2j7v25ex][attachment=0:2j7v25ex]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356205764.425650.jpg[/attachment:2j7v25ex]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356205744.408721.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356205764.425650.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've been wondering where you've been too! Sounds like you've just been busy with the car so we can let it slide!! :jester: Sounds like you're making good progress. Will I see it at one of our shows this year?

Collin

Reaction score
I have just diassembled the dash I havent painted it yet. I saw a website selling 0EM Suede Finish black paint for the dash for $99 a PINT. Realized I need to be very careful when I scuff the dash. Most of the rust is on the underside of the dash. So I am going to take a scotch brite to the whole thing and lightly scuff it and then hit it with a coat of flat black paint. Found a few "home made" wiring repairs done where some open splices were made. Also found that the thumb wheel spring for the dimmer has a huge kink in it and probably is OOS (out of service). Been really busy at work with the overtime lately, especially with everyone hiding during the holiday seasons. Ill take all the money I can get because I know I have a paint job to pay for soon. This T7 is tricky paint, the package tray and dash braces are really the only spots left that have original T7 left. Look at it in a certain light and its one color, shift your head a little and its a totally different color. Only problem is that I cant unbolt one of these pieces to bring to the paint shop for a match.

Might try to go downstairs into the garage tonight and start to sand and paint the dash frame. I am sure there will be years of armor all sprayed on this thing that need to come off before it rejects my paint. I will keep you guys up to date.

Steve, I seem to keep saying "maybe next year" every single year. I have most major things for the car complete (interior, motor, trans, rear end, steering, suspension, wheels, tires) still have to pay for paint, headers and exhaust, and miscellaneous bits and pieces. AS the mopar saying goes "you can complete 2 camaros, or 3 mustangs for the price of restoring 1 mopar"

Collin

Reaction score
$199 for the chrome plastic that goes around the speedo?? $199 REALLY??

Jim S.

Reaction score
Hi Collin. Can I make a suggestion about the dash frame. Since its just surface rust and you are going to scotchbrite it, maybe you should use something to neutralize the surface rust area unless it all comes off. POR-15 metal ready or "A Must for Rust" which you can get at a hardware store is the same stuff. It would be peace of mind before you hit it with paint. Or you could tell me to F-Off and mind my own business. :lol: Looks like you have been busy. :thumbsup:

Collin

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Hi Collin. Can I make a suggestion about the dash frame. Since its just surface rust and you are going to scotchbrite it, maybe you should use something to neutralize the surface rust area unless it all comes off. POR-15 metal ready or "A Must for Rust" which you can get at a hardware store is the same stuff. It would be peace of mind before you hit it with paint. Or you could tell me to F-Off and mind my own business. :lol: Looks like you have been busy. :thumbsup:

I take all and every advice I can get! I have an Eastwood rust neutralizer that I sprayed on. Trying paint on smaller parts first to see how I like it. Really don't want to lose texture of original paint

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
I'll tell you to F-Off just give me a reason :basketcase:

Collin

Reaction score
Painted the letters today came out decent[attachment=1:21ko63ot]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356278166.305163.jpg[/attachment:21ko63ot][attachment=0:21ko63ot]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356278182.104463.jpg[/attachment:21ko63ot]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356278166.305163.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356278182.104463.jpg

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Jim S. said:

Your door decal is a little low!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
69hemibeep said:
[quote="Jim S.":2ulipf0n]Hi Collin. Can I make a suggestion about the dash frame. Since its just surface rust and you are going to scotchbrite it, maybe you should use something to neutralize the surface rust area unless it all comes off. POR-15 metal ready or "A Must for Rust" which you can get at a hardware store is the same stuff. It would be peace of mind before you hit it with paint. Or you could tell me to F-Off and mind my own business. :lol: Looks like you have been busy. :thumbsup:

Your door decal is a little low![/quote:2ulipf0n]
F-OFF :jester:

Collin

Reaction score
Yes a Elmer's felt tip white paint pen, and a steady hand

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Jim S. said:
You need a reason?? :acme:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
Jim S. said:
You need a reason?? :acme:
You got a point, to bad its your head :leave:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dontcha just love how relitives get along during the hoildays.....

Back