• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this sound legit?

V.R.D

Reaction score
i like that better than the stand alone head lights. and yes that is a scam.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Their all over the place now days. Beware. Had one do the same thing telling me he was deployed in England in the Army. The car was in Miami Fl. I live in central Fl. It was supposed to be in a hangar at an airport. Asked if I could go and see it. He told me now way to get the people to let me in to check it out. Yes, wanted money sent to escrow company. Event talked to him on the phone. Something did not smell right. So did my research and called the FBI on this one. They said that they had been trying to find this guy for years. He is hiding somewhere in England. So the jerk called me after backing out of going forward and proceeded to tell me how much money I cost him on letting another deal go by because he thought I was going to buy the car. Now found another one overseas would ship to me. I was searching the web of runners and found the same car in the same garage in Georgia. Contacted the guy and he said the car was not for sale and wondered where I found it for sale. Told him and he said he was going to get on this and find out how this could happen. They steel our car's pic's if we post them anywhere the hack it up to put into an ad for sale. What a bunch of scum bag's they are. If you can't go and look at the car Then that is the first clue. Shipping companies don't work this way. One of my friend's had a race car for sale and a man sent him cashers check and the truck driver would come and pick it up. He got the check and went to the bank before the truck driver showed up. The bank said the check was not Ligget. The bank it was drawn on did not exist. I found my car on Racing Junk. Com. Local guy had it and could go and look at it. Bought it for 7 grand. then put 40 K into it too restore the car. Good luck on the search and there are good people out their selling their car's just having to weed them out.
You sure are right. These scams are all over the place. I was just looking on ListedBuy and the site is full of them! Take a look at this one. https://www.listedbuy.com/cars/clas...ymouth-road-runner-red-0?utm_source=OodleCars. It's in Florida too, can you take a look at it for me? Haha
You have a real nice 69. How long did the restore take?

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Took me around 5 and 1/2 years. That one you are showing may be where There is a car dealer that sell's mopar's. That sound's like a decent price.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Took me around 5 and 1/2 years. That one you are showing may be where There is a car dealer that sell's mopar's. That sound's like a decent price.
I'd like to tackle a project like that when I retire. Must be very satisfying.
I thought $25K for a convertible was pretty low, but I'm just going by what I've been seeing advertised. It could be a dealer I suppose even though it's listed as private advertiser.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
In addition to the 68 Road Runner post project, I have a 61 Chrysler Newport Coupe I cruise around. Updated it to 440 steel crank, aluminum heads and intake, 833 4 spd, 489 8.75 case with 323 posi and 4 wheel disc brakes. I've been told they used the Newport bodies for the 300s because it was shorter/lighter than the New Yorkers. Its fugly with he canted headlights and Last Chrysler with fins. Not going to see another at a car show (especially if it rains).

View attachment 35465

View attachment 35466

View attachment 35467

View attachment 35468
Grate looking car. That is a sharp car. Thumb's up to ya buddy.

harley1960

Reaction score
I found a 1969 Road Runner for sale on Automotive Classifieds. The car looks sweet and I am very interested in it. The ad says the car is located in Washington D.C. and I am about 50 miles away, so no problem there. When I contacted the seller, he replied back that he is a Marine currently deployed in Kuwait and is using a shipping company to handle the sale of the vehicle for him. He tells me that the car is in Wisconsin even though it is advertised as being in D.C.. He goes on to say that if I want to buy it I would pay the shipping company and the money would go into an escrow account. The shipping company would then ship the car to me and I would have up to 7 days to decide whether I want to keep it or not. If I decide that I don't want the car, the shipping company would come out and pick it up from my home and return my money. This seems to be an obvious scam to me. Has anyone on this forum been in the military or currently in the military? Is this a commen way that soldiers deployed outside of the U.S. sell their vehicles? I've never heard of this practice and am highly suspicious. The link to the ad is below along with the email response I received from the seller. I want to believe this is legit because I love the car. Has anyone purchased a car this way before?

Response from seller:
Hi,

I bought the car 3 years ago and I am selling it because I signed new contract. I will be deployed most of the time so I won't have time to enjoy it.
Fully Restored '69. Freshly sprayed in blue, it's hard to keep your eyes off of it. Inside, the new black interior aims to please with no rips or tears. Powered by a 440ci v8 with a 4bbl and 727 torqueflight automatic transmission, performance nor reliability will be of any concern. Features include but are not limited to a high rise intake, ceramic coated headers, R/T console, solid motor mounts, Good glass, good tires and wheels as well as Decent chrome. This is a very solid car that runs strong and drives good.

The vehicle is located in Superior, WI at the shipping company, who will intermediate the transaction for us. This is the safest and fastest way for both of us. It is a very intuitive and well-known method for selling vehicles:
Step 1) The payment is deposited in an escrow account, belonging to the company.
Step2) You receive the vehicle, title, 2 keys and all the service history records. You will have 7 days to check and inspect the vehicle and its documents.
Step 3) After the 7 days you have to make a decision:
- You keep the vehicle and the money is released from the Escrow to me.
- You decline the vehicle, the transaction gets canceled. The vehicle is being picked up from your door and returned to the warehouse. All your money is refunded back to you.
Because I know this vehicle is in pristine condition, I will pay entirely for delivery and for return, in case you decline to purchase it. So there are no headaches for you. It is like buying a vehicle locally, the only difference is that you get the chance to drive it for 7 days before final buy.

Please let me know what you decide!
Thank you.

HM3 (FMF) Bobbie, Powell
Senior Medical Representative Bravo Company SWBM
1st Battalion, 5th Marines
1st Marine Division

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
In addition to the 68 Road Runner post project, I have a 61 Chrysler Newport Coupe I cruise around. Updated it to 440 steel crank, aluminum heads and intake, 833 4 spd, 489 8.75 case with 323 posi and 4 wheel disc brakes. I've been told they used the Newport bodies for the 300s because it was shorter/lighter than the New Yorkers. Its fugly with he canted headlights and Last Chrysler with fins. Not going to see another at a car show (especially if it rains).

View attachment 35465

View attachment 35466

View attachment 35467

View attachment 35468
Awesome car! I like the canted headlights. That's one of the things I love about older cars. They tried to make them stand out. Now a days cars all look the same.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I think everyone else has already covered it for you, but the old "im away for work, just pay for the shipping direct to the shipping company" is a scam that has been around for a while now. Its up there with "we just found out that you are related to a Nigerian Prince and are entitled to an inheritance following his passing - just send us your bank details so we can transfer you the money".

Good luck with your search. Stay away from sight-unseen purchases unless you know the seller personally, or can at least have a friend get some eyes on it.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
I think everyone else has already covered it for you, but the old "im away for work, just pay for the shipping direct to the shipping company" is a scam that has been around for a while now. Its up there with "we just found out that you are related to a Nigerian Prince and are entitled to an inheritance following his passing - just send us your bank details so we can transfer you the money".

Good luck with your search. Stay away from sight-unseen purchases unless you know the seller personally, or can at least have a friend get some eyes on it.
Thanks for your input. I am aware of this scam now. There are a lot of them out there.

IT'S DYNAMITE

Reaction score
7 Norridgewock Ave. Skowhegan Maine 04976
Hi Dominick, Thanks for sharing your recent experience. I'd like to think that there is a special place in Hell for people who perpetrate these scams. BTW Did you ever find the 57 300C you were looking for? I know this is a Road Runner forum, but I sure would appreciate seeing a pic!
Thanks for asking. I did find a 1957C, actually I bought my original car back from the person I sold it to 22 years ago. I also bought a '66 Satellite and just a month ago a '67 GTX that had been a trailer queen for the past 30 years.It only had 2 options ,radio and 426 Hemi with automatic. I need all this dam snow to go away so that I can drive it.
Dom

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. I did find a 1957C, actually I bought my original car back from the person I sold it to 22 years ago. I also bought a '66 Satellite and just a month ago a '67 GTX that had been a trailer queen for the past 30 years.It only had 2 options ,radio and 426 Hemi with automatic. I need all this dam snow to go away so that I can drive it.
Dom
I know I will never own a 426 Hemi, but getting behind the wheel of a Hemi Runner just once is on my bucket list. Hope you enjoy the hell out of it! Beep Beep

IT'S DYNAMITE

Reaction score
7 Norridgewock Ave. Skowhegan Maine 04976
Dom
Here is the "C" .

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sweet car. Getting older dose suck. Things on our body's don't work like they use to !!!!!!. Hope I am able to drive my car at 80 still. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bowtie Guy

Reaction score
I thought this was too funny to not reply. I'm kind of shopping around for a '65 Impala Super Sport and found an ad on Automotive-Classifieds.com which, right away I thought this has to be a scammer site. They can't even spell the name of there website correctly in their header. Anyway I Googled this guy's "title" that he has and that's how I found your forum here. His job "title" is "Senior Medical Representative Bravo Company SWBM", same as the OP's. And the narrative is pretty dam close also, except this "Shipping Company" is in Hancock, MI, in the U.P. of MI.

This is almost word for word...

The vehicle is located in Hancock, Michigan at the shipping company, who will intermediate the transaction for us. This is the safest and fastest way for both of us. It is a very intuitive and well-known method for selling vehicles:
Step 1) The payment is deposited in an escrow account, belonging to the company.
Step2) You receive the vehicle, title, 2 keys and all the service history records. You will have 7 days to check and inspect the vehicle and its documents.
- You decline the vehicle, the transaction gets canceled. The vehicle is being picked up from your door and returned to the warehouse. All your money is refunded back to you.
Because I know this vehicle is in pristine condition, I will pay entirely for delivery and for return, in case you decline to purchase it. So there are no headaches for you. It is like buying a vehicle locally, the only difference is that you get the chance to drive it for 7 days before final buy.

Thank you.

And he's asking $13,490.00 for an original SS, NOM but yet a supposedly rust free west coast car. My "spidey senses" triggered right away as this being a scam.

Just had to share, even though I know this is a RR Forum and I'm a Chevy guy, all makes have their own fantastic muscle cars, and I can respect the amount of time and money that goes into them all. Was once a member of the NMCA years ago, and there were plenty of fast Mopars, among other brands as well. One bright red Super Bee I'll never forget, that thing hooked and booked on a 10.5 slick. 440 if I recall, Indy heads and intake. Low 10's if I recall, with a few high 9's. I was surprised at how light a car that was considering it's size. I was paying attention to the weight stickers when browsing the pits.

Automotive-Classifieds.png

MoparDan

Reaction score
I thought this was too funny to not reply. I'm kind of shopping around for a '65 Impala Super Sport and found an ad on Automotive-Classifieds.com which, right away I thought this has to be a scammer site. They can't even spell the name of there website correctly in their header. Anyway I Googled this guy's "title" that he has and that's how I found your forum here. His job "title" is "Senior Medical Representative Bravo Company SWBM", same as the OP's. And the narrative is pretty dam close also, except this "Shipping Company" is in Hancock, MI, in the U.P. of MI.

The vehicle is located in Hancock, Michigan at the shipping company, who will intermediate the transaction for us. This is the safest and fastest way for both of us. It is a very intuitive and well-known method for selling vehicles:

Thank you.

And he's asking $13,490.00 for an original SS, NOM but yet a supposedly rust free west coast car. My "spidey senses" triggered right away as this being a scam.

Just had to share, even though I know this is a RR Forum and I'm a Chevy guy, all makes have their own fantastic muscle cars, and I can respect the amount of time and money that goes into them all. Was once a member of the NMCA years ago, and there were plenty of fast Mopars, among other brands as well. One bright red Super Bee I'll never forget, that thing hooked and booked on a 10.5 slick. 440 if I recall, Indy heads and intake. Low 10's if I recall, with a few high 9's. I was surprised at how light a car that was considering it's size. I was paying attention to the weight stickers when browsing the pits.

View attachment 36322

Thank you.

View attachment 36322
So this clown is at it again? But this time it's a Chevy? I wish there was a way to stop him. Oh and welcome to the site. We have a couple closet Chevy guys here.

Back