• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enclosed Trailer

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
My wife and I are doing some traveling this weekend to Baltimore to vist her son. Anyway.... we got talking about an enclosed trailer. Right now, I have a nice open trailer that has filled my needs well. This is my second trailer like this and my first was in 1975, so I'm pretty familar with hauling cars.

Back to our conversation. I've been thinking of buying an enclosed trailer. There's a lot of obvious resons for it, but I can almost justify the cost now. I've been renting a storage unit for the parts I pulled off the Roadrunner. The cost of that storage unti just hit $150 a month! With that kind of money, I can buy a trailer to keep that stuff in until I put the car back together!. She said the magic words "why don't you sell your trailer and but an enclosed one" :party:

OK... so here's my question. Anybody here have an enclosed trailer? How long is it? What brand and any brands I should stay away from? Any input will help!

My driveway entance is a bit steep so I have to watch overall length and rear overhang and I have to manuver it through the yard to get to its parking spot.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Wish I could help you John, I'm tying to rent or barrow one for the June event every one wants to sell them, I don't have room. I think if you get one with the heavy axles a rear ramp that has the weight capacity you need wood lined inside and a side door and ground clearance you need. It will narrow your search. I have an offer to use a 20' but depending on where the side door is how do I get in front of a 17' car to tie it down. I would think you would need 23' or so.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i also have been looking because i wont sleep well after the shows with my bird sitting out in the motel parking lot there are so many off the wall brands out there.....i think pace...united then haulmark....they have the exterior with rivets or smooth walled glued....a flat roof or a arched 1 piece roof....i think arched 1 piece roof with 12 inches on center rafters is the best for our snow loads and i kind of like that glued smooth look but i dont know how well it holds up....a regular trailer like a 24 foot tag along was something i was looking for but so far the 2 guys that had trailers for sale each complained about the turnability of a tag along....they each said there next trailer would be a gooseneck/fifthwheel......so i have been hot on looking for a gooseneck which i am going to look at this week a 35 foot haulmark race trailer which is loaded with everything....air...winch...hyd lift,,side escape door so i can open my door to get out of my bird,,,,,48 inch side door,canopy,,,diamond plate floor,,,,generator,,,,,loaded for a very nice price and it will be perfect to store my bird for the winter....big....look at racingjunk/ebay.....google up used enclosed....want ad digest.....theres a ton of them

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Wish I could help you John, I'm tying to rent or barrow one for the June event every one wants to sell them, I don't have room. I think if you get one with the heavy axles a rear ramp that has the weight capacity you need wood lined inside and a side door and ground clearance you need. It will narrow your search. I have an offer to use a 20' but depending on where the side door is how do I get in front of a 17' car to tie it down. I would think you would need 23' or so.
my buddy has a 20 foot all aluminum enclosed....14 grand willington and it is tight with his 70 chevelle

also big.....i had my bird weighed ...3935....so when you are looking look for 5000/5200lb axles or you will be busted for a overload with 3500lb axles

mac

What ?
Reaction score
freinds have a 26 footer, 30 feet overall with the tougue. that is what we take to carlisle every year and covers the 3 spots nicely. i would just make sure you have a side door. oh, get the stabilizer rods for the hitch.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
WELL BIG I WAS JUST AT A TUNER SHOW AND WALKED UP TO A PARKED TRAILER WITH SOME GUY AND HIS KID SITTING WITH HIM....HES THE GUY WITH A QUAD WITH A JET ENGINE ON IT....ANYWAY I WAS TALKING TO HIM ABOUT TRAILERS....HE HAS A 24 FOOT ENCLOSED AND HE PULLS IT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE THE FORD EXTURSION(SPELLED WRONG SO WHAT)...HES GOT IT LOADED WITH TOOLBOXES AND STUFF.....HE NEEDED AIRBAGS CAUSE SHE SQUATED SO MUCH.....ANYWAY WE ARE TALKING TELLING HIM I AM LOOKING FOR A USED GOOSENECK AND HE DIRECTED ME TO CHESTNUTHILL TRAILERS IN PA...HAULMARK TRAILER DEALER....BUY IT NEW IN PA AND THIS IS SWEET.....REGISTER IT IN MAINE....YOU PAY 0 SALES TAX AND REGISTER IT FOR 10 YEARS FOR 138.00....READ THIS.....
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/a ... 22873.html

mcmopar

Reaction score
Big John said:
My wife and I are doing some traveling this weekend to Baltimore to vist her son. Anyway.... we got talking about an enclosed trailer. Right now, I have a nice open trailer that has filled my needs well. This is my second trailer like this and my first was in 1975, so I'm pretty familar with hauling cars.

Back to our conversation. I've been thinking of buying an enclosed trailer. There's a lot of obvious resons for it, but I can almost justify the cost now. I've been renting a storage unit for the parts I pulled off the Roadrunner. The cost of that storage unti just hit $150 a month! With that kind of money, I can buy a trailer to keep that stuff in until I put the car back together!. She said the magic words "why don't you sell your trailer and but an enclosed one" :party:

OK... so here's my question. Anybody here have an enclosed trailer? How long is it? What brand and any brands I should stay away from? Any input will help!

My driveway entance is a bit steep so I have to watch overall length and rear overhang and I have to manuver it through the yard to get to its parking spot.

PM classracer (my bud Jim). He's got one. I'll give him a "hads-up" to expect your message. He has trouble staying on the site (the disconnect Gremlin gets him) but perhaps he can stay on the site long enough to answer the PM.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I just looked at a used Pace a friend has for sale, I'm real tempted. 23' on the inside cabinets generator 30 gal water 40gal gas side door lights in and out needs a couple tires for just under 4 grand :popcorn:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I just looked at a used Pace a friend has for sale, I'm real tempted. 23' on the inside cabinets generator 30 gal water 40gal gas side door lights in and out needs a couple tires for just under 4 grand :popcorn:
if you dont take it dAd buy it for me :jester:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
bob...what year is it.....sounds like a deal.....its nice to store the car in since my wife almost wiped out the side of my bird with my tool box when it flipped over plus hide the car at nite when staying over somewhere

6T9Hemi

Reaction score
I have an enclosed 20' slope nose trailer. It is the perfect size for a B body if the only thing you use it for is transporting the car or storing it. Mine has an escape door positioned in the right place to open the door and exit the car in it's hauling position. Plenty of room to tie front down and have your spare trailer tire or other small items. The less trailer you have the better hauling.

moparstuart

Reaction score
6T9Hemi said:
I have an enclosed 20' slope nose trailer. It is the perfect size for a B body if the only thing you use it for is transporting the car or storing it. Mine has an escape door positioned in the right place to open the door and exit the car in it's hauling position. Plenty of room to tie front down and have your spare trailer tire or other small items. The less trailer you have the better hauling.
i need a 24 footer , My car has a bigger beek . :jester: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
6T9Hemi said:
i need a 24 footer , My car has a bigger beek . :jester: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
You need a nose job :lol: :lol: :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparstuart said:
6T9Hemi said:
You need a nose job :lol: :lol: :lol:
thanks dad , i favor you

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
bob...what year is it.....sounds like a deal.....its nice to store the car in since my wife almost wiped out the side of my bird with my tool box when it flipped over plus hide the car at nite when staying over somewhere
George its a little older with a nice custom paint job on it, and your right I want to hide the car and protect it. My concern is weight, the max if I read the tag right is 9500 and gvw said 5900. Does that sound right, seams heavy for a trailer and the runner would max it out. Its in a garage and the tag was hard to see. I'm sure the motor home would pull it but my truck? 95 sht bed dodge 4x4 tow package and a 360. I do have an equalizer hitch and electric brakes controller, but it seams the trailer would drive the truck :eek:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
i need a 24 footer , My car has a bigger beek . :jester: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:[/quote]
You need a nose job :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
thanks dad , i favor you[/quote]
As Jacky Gleason would say that XXXXX can't be from my loins :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
George its a little older with a nice custom paint job on it, and your right I want to hide the car and protect it. My concern is weight, the max if I read the tag right is 9500 and gvw said 5900. Does that sound right, seams heavy for a trailer and the runner would max it out. Its in a garage and the tag was hard to see. I'm sure the motor home would pull it but my truck? 95 sht bed dodge 4x4 tow package and a 360. I do have an equalizer hitch and electric brakes controller, but it seams the trailer would drive the truck :eek:
THAT SHORT BED ISNT GOING TO DO THE JOB...should be.AT LEAST A 3/4 TON/1 TON PICKUP....i was looking at ebay and checkin axle and weights.....a 24 foor united enclosed go from3840lbs and up to a loaded/options....4680lbs....that dont sound right....the GVW should be 9500 then the empty weight

Collin

Reaction score
They have a really cool trailer now that has scratch proof, see through lexan walls. Its pretty cool to show off your car while you are hauling the trailer...just dont know about parking the trailer and having EVERYONE see whats inside!

moparstuart

Reaction score
Collin said:
They have a really cool trailer now that has scratch proof, see through lexan walls. Its pretty cool to show off your car while you are hauling the trailer...just dont know about parking the trailer and having EVERYONE see whats inside!
part of why i want the enclosed one is not to advertise whats in it

moparchris

Reaction score
Hey guys I have owned 2 enclosed trailers and I have at least 10 friends from racing that have them. I can speak from experience that 20 feet is too small. The nose of the car will be right at the front of the trailer and no room at the back making it a b&tch to tie down. 24 would be minimum. All trailers are not created equal. There are several things to look at. First is GVW which is the weight of the trailer, contents, car, and anything else you throw at it. Second, they come in different sizes, believe it or not, three dimension that you should be aware of. Door opening is critical and pace, haulmark, and optima make 96" door openings. Believe it or not my first trailer had an 80 inch door opening and with the springs for the door I couldn't fit the Roadrunner between them without stretching them. Then there is inside width and the standard is 96 inches, make sure its a 100" interior width. Just like dating 4 inches does make a differnce! :facepalm: Next up is the between the wheel wells, most are 76" and will beat the sh*t out of the rockers of your freshly restored Roadrunner, dont ask me how I know this. Thirdly most trailers are so low that the wheelwells inside the trailer are too tall to open a door to a low Roadrunner. If your car is near its original ride or lower there is no chance of opening your door. The way I got around it with my two trailers is that I would line up the car winch it in and put it in gear or when it was in its final resting spot. The trailer needs to be low due to the angle of the door and the crest being too high and draging the bottom of your car, except the floor is made of wood and some kind of covering and it will tear it up in short order. The straps will hold the car very well and you wont have to worry about it moving more than if the brakes were applied. The car will move around inside the trailer a little even though the tires dont move. As far as the exterior of the trailer. Riveted sides leak and generally suck. The tape sidewalls (rivetless) are very strong and sometimes are layed over wood. This makes for a heavy trailer. Then there is FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels) same as modern motorhomes, they are beautiful but are even heavier. Haulmark akes a dragster package that will extend the door 5 feet with fold down aluminum ramps and make it a breeze to cet a low car inside. I am in the market for a trailer myself and I have been shopping for 3 years so I have a ton of info about all the makes and models. If any of you guys need info pm me and we can discuss. I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Back