• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine compartment restoration

A31PKG

Reaction score
Hey folks, New guy here...I posted this over on the "other" Mopar site, and a member here (Basketcase) suggested I join you all, and post my efforts here. I already bought the t-shirt too (really dig the logo), so there's no turnin' back now! Anyway a little background: I picked this jewel up in '05 as a "day 2" survivor, with 53k miles on it...numbers, paper, the whole nine...The original owner did some typical stuff back in 70-71...he added wheels , headers, intake, tach, chrome & misc stuff...he also painted the engine compartment black and - most distressing - cut two 5" holes in the core support for a homemade ram air set-up....Well, the years went by and the car changed hands a few times and the engine compartment was repainted white. They did a cruddy job, spraying right over the old black paint...it looked awful...yet the car remained in tact and actually very well cared for. Fast forward to '05 and enter: ME....I'm kinda a purist, and all this mess just had to go. First thing I did was purchase a used 26" core support, and had a metalworking master friend of mine surgically replace only the cut areas...thus leaving the major structure untouched...then about 40 hours of careful stripping 3 layers of paint...and well, I'll let the pics tell the story....not a reference resto, and I still have a few details I'm working on (like the correct carb), but my hope is to share and inspire...Cheers!

****I've rearranged the pics so they're in better order***

moparstuart

Reaction score
welcome and very nice car :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
welcome....sweet bird...... your doing a great job....great bunch of guys here.....we do alot of kidding around and like to help our brother members

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Beautiful car! Steelies and a 4-spd... :drool:

Stick around, if you like to cut up and have fun, you'll like it here...

:jester:
ACME

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the birds nest! :beep: Great job on the engine compartment and a great lookin' car! :thumbsup: Like the others have said, we have a great bunch of guys here, and all are willing to share their knowledge. We have our fun here so come back often and join in!!!!

A31PKG

Reaction score
Yes sir it does...also decor group & tinted windows...I have yet to browse the registry...I've always wondered how many A31's made it off the assy line...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad you made it! beautiful car. You see stuff like the holes in the rad support and wonder what people were thinking :huh: . one of the PO of mine cut two holes in the firewall to run the battery cables thru when they moved the battery to the trunk.[/color]

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Thanks guys... I hope to contribute now & then....
:cheers:

or you can be like the Bluies and just :pot: once in a while...

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Sweet looking Road Runner. I also really like the white cars!
And, great job on that engine compartment!!!

Back