• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine just shuts off

RonLiv

Reaction score
Is this the pic you are looking for Terry?

20210608_131522.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I have the voltage regulator still. IMG_0102 (3).JPGGot a new distributor and every thing from summit racing. For around a 145.00. Figured the old one was old and needed to put new in to head off problem's. Had to cut in for a few splices and direction's explained it all.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry the picture dose not show the ground strap on the ECU box but have one on it now. That Green wire #6 is a ground wire running through out the car from front to back just for a back up it is grounded to the batterie.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted. Well my ground strap seems to be working. Drove it for about 30 min yesterday. Lets hope this fixes it.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
so let it run for the amount of time it takes . that is the best way to find the problem . drive around the block as not to be to far from home . take the d.v.o.m with you
Ok. What does this tell you. When its running I have 12V at the +coil connection. When I doesn't want to start the voltage is 6.8 at the +coil. Cold not running it's still 6.8. I seem to always have voltage at the coil and out of the coil but at times no spark. Distributor? Pick up in the distributer?

V.R.D

Reaction score
so 12 volts goes in to the ballast resistor ans cut in have that is the 6 volts you see . did you watch the video at my mopar on you tube ? you should go there and watch the video if not get a repair manual and follow the trouble shoot guide.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say I got a new coil and bought the new distributor and ECU box with all the wiring from summit. The coil was from O Reilley auto parts. the new blast resistor came with it also in the distributor kit. Fallow direction's and not hard to hook up. Non point's distrib. May be this will clear up your problem for around 140 buck's.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
so 12 volts goes in to the ballast resistor ans cut in have that is the 6 volts you see . did you watch the video at my mopar on you tube ? you should go there and watch the video if not get a repair manual and follow the trouble shoot guide.
Ok I did. Hard site to navigate. My ballast reads 1.9 ohms. MyMopar says 1.2. That's why the voltage is so low at my coil. Would that make it die when its hot? Maybe the ohms go up when it gets hot. I also checked the gap on the pick up coil. Says it needs to be .0080. It was almost touching. I reset it and ran it till it got hot and turned it off. It started up 4 more times.

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
sounds like you are getting there. yes replace the ballast as it gets hotter it could resits power flow or go open. and always carry a spare.
the pick up coil reluctor getting to close might be time for a new distributor . the last time mine did that i said no more of this and i went with m s d ign' system and the dizzy

V.R.D

Reaction score
if it the kit the last one o bought was a good kit. the box that mopar has sold for the last few years have some problems. look on for b-body only forum there was i maker of a good replacement.

V.R.D

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Mancini's orange box set up. Any experiences with theirs?
look at Rev-N-Nator it might be better than china crap . there is another i have seen cant find it on b-body only forum. do your research on what to buy and warranty as n.a.p.a as been said to be good.

Rocco

Reaction score
OK, this is making me crazy. The engine runs great and then it's like you just turned off the key. If you let it sit for about 10 minutes it fires back up and runs fine till it decides to die again. It has the early electronic ignition with the orange box. I have checked the wiring and changed the coil, same problem. I have also been experimenting with different carburetors, not for the shutting off reason but for performance reasons and it does it with all 3 carbs. Suggestions please.
yes it hole in gas line getting air in the line gas line at the gas tank

Back