• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine just shuts off

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Mine was acting like that and it was that I had the one vent tube line blocked off. Had to make the vent line and all is good. Do you have a clear fuel filter. I did and noticed that I had air coming in from some where. That was the problem not enough venting of the fuel tank. Just my two cent's. Oh this Ethanol is junk fuel. Having to enlarge my jetting on my carb. Motor running too lean.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Ok I got a WHOLE new orange box ignition system. First I put in the Distributor and ballast. Ran great for a couple days but died again. Patched in the new orange box and it started. Reconnected the old box and nothing. I think I finally got it. The damn box, I hope. If it craps out again.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's good Terry. Just had a two month old coil brand new give up on me. So got a new one and it started right up. This stuff now day's is just not as good as what we got back in the old day's.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Sound's good Terry. Just had a two month old coil brand new give up on me. So got a new one and it started right up. This stuff now day's is just not as good as what we got back in the old day's.
Tell me about it. The nut on the new orange box that the long screw holds the connector on to just pulled right off. I had to dig it out of the connector. Looks like the old box was an original Chrysler type. The center of the old connector is solid and threaded. The nut was much more substantial too. Here are some pictures. I filled in the hole with epoxy then drilled and taped it to be like the original, don't have a picture of that repair, sorry but it's tight as hell now. Having everything made in damn China is going to bite this country in the ass big time one day.

Box 1.jpg

nut.jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That's the American way fix it our selves. Hope this will solve your problem's Terry and you can get back to enjoying you car. :thumbsup2:

RonLiv

Reaction score
I've been holding my breath for the last couple weeks, but for me the new ignition switch and tumbler seemed to have eliminated my stalling while driving problem, at least for now anyway. The one thing that is odd though is my gas gauge has always been kind of unreliable as to how much is actually in the tank. I'd fill the thing up and it would register half tank or start out as full but after a few miles I had 1/4 tank. But ever since I put this switch in, its pretty much spot on.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sounds like it is getting all the power it needed to function. Got an after market gauge for mine form summit. Read's half full when full. Now putting in a meter match. But some one told me they got a new sending unit from part's mix and it was spot on with out any thing else added to make it read correct. Good job RonLiv. Hope you have smooth driving now. :thumbsup2:

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I've been holding my breath for the last couple weeks, but for me the new ignition switch and tumbler seemed to have eliminated my stalling while driving problem, at least for now anyway. The one thing that is odd though is my gas gauge has always been kind of unreliable as to how much is actually in the tank. I'd fill the thing up and it would register half tank or start out as full but after a few miles I had 1/4 tank. But ever since I put this switch in, its pretty much spot on.
Hello, what do you mean by the tumbler? new ignition switch and tumbler

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Sounds like it is getting all the power it needed to function. Got an after market gauge for mine form summit. Read's half full when full. Now putting in a meter match. But some one told me they got a new sending unit from part's mix and it was spot on with out any thing else added to make it read correct. Good job RonLiv. Hope you have smooth driving now. :thumbsup2:
One of my friends said the wire from the tank sending unit to the gauge had developed high resistance. His read 3/4 when totally full. He replaced that wire and its fine. I have the same issue with a brand new sending unit. I will try the same thing soon. On a different issue a new orange box fixed my Engine just shuts off issue. Take care.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I agree that the switch could be the problem also. I just replaced mine when restoring the car. Due to the key was messed up. Have not put my meter match in yet. Been getting air in the fuel filter from some where and just replaced the hose at the tank from the sending unit to fuel line. Had put it in new but who knows where the air was coming from. Had fuel in the tank. Still checking it while driving.

Back