• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Tips...

stuka1166

Reaction score
Question about exhaust tips...My 68' currently has no exhaust tips...I would like to put a pair on. I see that some have built in hangers on them, and others (TTI I believe) do not.

Is 1 better then the other ? Or just personal preference ?

Which would be more "factory correct ?"

Thanks !!!

droptop

Reaction score
Bright exhaust tips was part of the Road Runner package in '68. The only exception to that is the noise reduction package that all cars sold in Calf had to have. That consisted of a dual snorkel air cleaner and turn downs instead of bright tips. Not sure of the code for noise reduction but it will be on the data plate if so equipped.

EDIT .......N97

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
No tips on the 68 Roadrunners except the Hemi cars. GTX had the tips, but not the 383 Roadrunners.

In 1969, the tips were available on cars with the Decor package or with the Hemi engine.

The tips had a bracket that slide into a hanger bolted to the frame. The aftermarket ones may be different.

Of course... they look good and if you like them, go for it.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Big...I thought in '68 if you got the decor package (with the trunk lid finish panel) that got the tips as well?

Big John

Reaction score
Big...I thought in '68 if you got the decor package (with the trunk lid finish panel) that got the tips as well?

I'm pretty sure that it didn't get the tips.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mancini Racing (www.manciniracing.com) has the "correct" oval shaped tips and hangers. That's where I got mine. One of my pet peeves is seeing rectangular Dodge tips on a Plymouth :facepalm:

Last edited:

Rocket

Reaction score
I haven't found Correct style for 3". TTIs are the closest.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mancini had them. That's where I got mine and they are 3". Check with them and see if they still have them. Of course, they might be TTI pieces...

Photon440

Reaction score
Mancini Racing (www.manciniracing.com) has the "correct" oval shaped tips and hangers. That's where I got mine. One of my pet peeves is seeing rectangular Dodge tips on a Plymouth :facepalm:

My '70 road runner has the rectangular tips. They were on the car when I bought it in 1977 and I thought they belonged. They've been there this long, I like them so they're staying. :)

Big John

Reaction score
Screen shot from 68 parts catalog. Note 426 engine and 426 hemi. No 383.

68 tip.jpg

68 tip.jpg

Last edited:

droptop

Reaction score
Decor package was available late in '68. That is why it is not in any of the sales brochures. My uncle worked at the St. Louis plant and he told me that they were making the changes slated for '69 available as soon as they could to sell more cars.

Big John

Reaction score
I stand corrected on the decor package and you know... thinking about it, I should have remembered that because it included the rear trunk finish panel. I'm still not convinced that the tips came with the package though.

Either way, it's obvious the car in question doesn't have the trunk trim and B pillar trim, so this particular car would not have come with tips.

1968_g.jpg

Back