• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Tips...

tallhair

Reaction score
My former 68 RR had the decor package. It included upgraded interior i.e. satellite seat covers, carpet, chrome arm rest bases, rear arm rest ash trays and the deluxe steering wheel, trunk finish panel, and stainless molding on the coupe pillar and I'm not sure what if anything else.

68_Belvedere0002.jpg

Last edited:

jays69bird

Reaction score
My car being a California car did not have the tips and I have the dual snorkel air cleaner. I added tips for because the 69's look good with them.

czmvh777

Reaction score
has any one every heard of a company called Pypes Performance Exhaust they have the tips they supply summit

A12

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it didn't get the tips.

John is correct, no tips in '68 even on a RR hardtop that came standard with the décor package. When I restored my '68 HT I did lots and lots of research on the tips because I wanted to put them on but no luck finding info that I could have even ordered them back in the day so I didn't put them on :frown:

In '69 you couldn't get the tips on anything California sold and delivered in the State (GTX or RR) because of a noise regulation. Same with an un-silenced air filter cover in CA.

DSC02498 RR68.jpg

DSC02498 RR68.jpg

Rich B

Reaction score
The only bell tips I can recall were on the ‘69 in the northeast anyways. Believe both ‘68 and ‘70 were round and angled down. The mufflers were the same as used on the hemis and with that oval tip, no wonder I was always getting pulled over. Never thought exhaust was that loud, guess I never should of put the Thrushes on.

Also for the ‘68 and ‘69 models, the ones without pillars were slated for Satellites but had to go the road runner route to meet the production numbers. The true road runner had the pillar trim with partial swing out quarter windows. Belvedere was that cheaper body style. First Satellite version I saw, thought it was cloned lol.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well at least you had a bird muffler on a bird. Thought thrush rusted or burnt out quicker than the cherry bomb's. Had one rot off and let the back part of the tail pipe dig into the road and bent every thing up. What a mess it made of that tail pipe. Had to torch it off it was bent so bad. :steering:

Rich B

Reaction score
LMAO not laughing at your post Russ, but myself. Was crossing one of those eight way intersections and dropped my driveshaft, differential oil all over the place. Not bad to fix, replaced differential pig (ratio was different, not bad) and rear universal, couldn’t find the connection nut anywheres to diff. input stud.

Last edited:

Johnnyscarnuts

Johnnyscarnuts
Reaction score
So I have turned down on my car do you think I could buy the tips and hangers cut the pipes and slip on the new Tips?

Rich B

Reaction score
IMHO perfect as is for 1970. Still don’t recall them even on Superbirds. Makes me think will look now...... So much for that, yes easy to add on. Went through 3 exhaust systems and retained tips. Don’t forget hangers, may have to realign tailpipes a bit.

FF66491E-1B7A-4223-B5C4-B83A1A6AF3D7.jpeg

View attachment 28166

FD74FF99-0C4A-4A4A-8B48-6A44D05D311B.jpeg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
LMAO not laughing at your post Russ, but myself. Was crossing one of those eight way intersections and dropped my driveshaft, differential oil all over the place. Not bad to fix, replaced differential pig (ratio was different, not bad) and rear universal, couldn’t find the connection nut anywheres to diff. input stud.
It is funny how you can't find part's to things when they go wrong.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Heat rises and they always summited up the rear bumper. Bet you cant touch one after the car has run for a while. :beep:

Johnnyscarnuts

Johnnyscarnuts
Reaction score
Oh then maybe I shouldn’t put them on I have a reproduction bumper and I don’t want it getting messed up

Rich B

Reaction score
Always thought it may of been the leaded gas- something in that to ruin bumper. Yes, pipes can get hot but bumper and rubber grommet hangars always seemed OK. Don’t underestimate heat signature though; on Boss 302 forum they’ve had the side pipes melt/distort rear fender area from excessive heat and a few with tailpipes against rear cutout fascia, pretty good meltdown. Those ones changed the axle back mufflers and forgot to tighten or align I guess.

LOL, but yeah am talking about plastic parts car compared to a solid metal. I don’t really laugh, just snicker. But they are lighter and aluminum hoods- dissimilar metal corrosion there, can’t win...... looks like this:

8627A9E9-DBCA-4A65-8EF9-EBC839FEBF4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back