• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filled up the new gas tank(found a leak)!

woodwiz

Reaction score
My gas gauge reads just fine. It surprises me that my sending unit looks so crappy for having such a new tank. Probably the old sending unit in a new tank,not my way of doing things,but like you said if it works roll with it!

woodwiz

Reaction score
I think I have a new sending unit and grounding strap in my future...looks nice and clean, but I have to get a shop to do the install. Going to be a couple of bucks. Other than some electrical stuff elsewhere it’s the only real biggie problem. Thanks for the pics.

1968 man

Reaction score
You are welcome, I meant to let you know that removing the tank is not necessary, if the suspension is hanging you can easily remove the sending unit.

woodwiz

Reaction score
So maybe if I can jack it high enough to sit on a pair of jack stands that would work and save me that lift time at a shop? It’s just me under the car,I have never trusted those jack stand,no point being under the car and worrying about safety.

1968 man

Reaction score
Any time you jack a car up please use jack stands if you go under the car, most of the time you don’t get the chance to have a do over. Jack stands are very safe, it all depends on the placement. Never crawl under a car that’s jacked up even for a spit second, that’s all it takes to change everything. You can handle this job but please be carful working under your car.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yes I agree! I never go under unless it’s on the ground and I can fit. Not a whole lot to do under while it sits on the ground. Real good jack stands are on my purchase list, had some for my 64 Riv,but like the car they are gone.
Any ideas on good jack stands? I also have a really good floor jack as back up.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Block your tires so it won't roll. I put wood block's under the frame rails also. Like 6x6 blocking. Jack stand's that have heavy metal support's got mine from HB freight.

woodwiz

Reaction score
The nice install on that grounding strap looks great. My question is: Does there have to be a grounding strap? My gas gauge works perfectly if that makes any difference.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
should be a strap between the sending unit and fuel line if you have not put one their. Found mine on e bay. Their is a short one and a long one. Should be the one for B body cars. Like the one shown by 68 man.

1968 man

Reaction score
The ground strap is for safety, it grounds the fuel line to the tank and sending unit where it is separated by the rubber hose. I think that’s right. Someone may chime in and explain.

Back