• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally - A Bambi Project Update!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Progress give you a warm fuzzy feeling :D And never tell anyone your not in a rush, its best to leave them wondering if you might be :cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Progress give you a warm fuzzy feeling :D And never tell anyone your not in a rush, its best to leave them wondering if you might be :cheers:

Progress is definitely a good thing; you must be awash in a sea of warm fuzziness as the B5 Hemi Beep goes back together... :cheers:

In the case of my machinist, Jack, he's more than just my designated crank-grinder & block borer; we've been close friends since 1981 so he's usually up to speed on exactly what & when I need something. He would rush something through the shop for me if I really needed it. He just happens to know that I'm nowhere close to launching this project in earnest so he's taken his time in getting cranked up... Not a big deal at this point...

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay - a quick update and some new photos...

My cores are all good! Block is standard will clear at .030" easily... Crank is standard and only needs polishing. Heads magnafluxed OKAY - which is GREAT news since they were a $40 swap meet score last November at the Garlits show in Ocala. Most of the rebuildable 906 heads were going for $100 - $150 a pair but I found these at $50 and hammered the guy down to $40... Nothing like a good score at the swap meet!

You guys had asked for some better pictures of Bambi's Halibrands so here they are...

ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nice wheels! you oughta just freshen up that primer so you can pound on her without worries! :drive:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
nice wheels! you oughta just freshen up that primer so you can pound on her without worries! :drive:

I have contemplated carefully removing the primer just to see what the blue underneath looks like... :huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like all of my machine work will be completed this week...don't know if I'll have time to run up there this weekend and pick everything up or not though... I'm out on the left coast again and won't get back until midnight Friday. But to be truthful, I'm kind of anxious to get everything back as you can probably imagine...there's still a lot of young boy in this middle-aged man...and getting freshly machined and new engine parts is just like Christmas as far as I'm concerned... :D

ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Looks like all of my machine work will be completed this week...don't know if I'll have time to run up there this weekend and pick everything up or not though... I'm out on the left coast again and won't get back until midnight Friday. But to be truthful, I'm kind of anxious to get everything back as you can probably imagine...there's still a lot of young boy in this middle-aged man...and getting freshly machined and new engine parts is just like Christmas as far as I'm concerned... :D

ACME
Thats what keeps use young at heart, even if you have to pay for your own gifts :thumbsup:And the wheels are sweet :banana:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I love the wheels. I sent my 906's to the head shop today. I'm planning on driving my rr to the nationals. Hopefully I'll be doing more driving than walking..........So, if any of you green guys see a rusty, paint falling off, yellow under orange RR on the side of the road, I'll ride in the back and pay for the gas......... :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If I see ya', I'll pick up up. and won't even make you pay for the gas. Just swear allegiance to the Green Teem :D

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
If I see ya', I'll pick up up. and won't even make you pay for the gas. Just swear allegiance to the Green Teem :D

I'd rather go green than to walk very far......... :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Got some more info on Bambi's new heart today...

K1 Technologies Billet H-Beam Con Rods. I was thinking I was getting a set of Eagles, but Jack said he got me a better deal on the K1's. Not a brand I'm familiar with so I did a little research on them. They're owned by PMI up in Mentor, Ohio which also owns JE Pistons and Wiseco. I figure if they're tied to Wiseco they ought to be pretty good...

Zero decked the block and cut the heads a bit to yield a healthy 10.75 to 1 compression ratio. Probably pushing it with iron 906s but let's face it, I won't be driving it every day. Jack's also a distributor for VP Racing Fuels so I can always drag a drum home to mix with pump gas if I have any issues... I'll ask him for the specifics on the machine work when I go pick everything up...

He tossed Bob K's recommendation on valve springs out the window and gave me a Comp set that he has previous experience with. We'll see how that works out... :D The set up that I'll be using has double springs and a little higher seat pressure than Bob recommended. I'll fire it up with the inners removed and handle the cam break-in that way when I get to that point. Speaking of which, I think I want to finally construct an engine break-in stand. If anyone has any pics/drawings of one that is well designed and worked well for them previously then please send them my way. I have some ideas, like using a bellhousing on the rear to mount the engine and facilitate a flywheel and starter set-up, but why re-invent the wheel if there's a nice pattern already out there...

I'll keep you guys posted...

ACME

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay - Sorry if it was too wordy fellas. But not a single comment or response?

This tells me that on the con rods either:
1) everyone is just like me and has no experience with K1 Technologies...
2) you guys have heard of cataclysmic rod failures and you just don't want to be the one that break the news to me... :lol:

Nothing on the break-in stand either...? There's no correct answer...just soliciting opinions and ideas on how to build a better mouse-trap...

ACME

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Motor sounds awesome. I made a hydraulic pump test unit a few years back and was using a 350 chevy as the power plant. It really worked out great for large pumps. I don't use it any more and I still have it. A buddy of mine has it in his garage because he used it as a test stand. Unless for some reason he did something with it, you are more than welcome to have it. Let me know and I'll contact him. It will fit in a pickup truck and you need a road trip anyway......... :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Motor sounds awesome. I made a hydraulic pump test unit a few years back and was using a 350 chevy as the power plant. It really worked out great for large pumps. I don't use it any more and I still have it. A buddy of mine has it in his garage because he used it as a test stand. Unless for some reason he did something with it, you are more than welcome to have it. Let me know and I'll contact him. It will fit in a pickup truck and you need a road trip anyway......... :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary - I'll keep it in mind. Might be easier just to build one from scratch though...?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay - here are a few pics of the new toys...

Its a shame you never get to see those parts again unless there is trouble. :yesnod:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
Okay - here are a few pics of the new toys...

Its a shame you never get to see those parts again unless there is trouble. :yesnod:

Isn't that the truth!!!

I've already had my new engine snafu for the day...somehow I slightly mushroomed the new dowels for the heads - and yes, I did use a brass hammer to install them - so I had to carefully file them down before the heads (or the head gaskets) would go on... :brickwall: I should be good to go for the remainder of the day... :D

ACME

Back